• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

These prices are AMAZING...WOW....UNBELIEVABLE

72 posts in this topic

I would wager that these insane buyers are not collectors who give 2c about comics, rather, they are investors looking to diversify. Many high net worth investors are a bit jaded about the market's problems, expecting hyperinflation as a result of recent policies, and looking to diversify into tangible assets. Could be many hedge funds diversifying, could even be foreign investors looking to unload U.S. dollars (china?).

There cannot really be that many people looking to buy comics as a hedge against the dollar, can there?

The monetary value of the entire supply of HG comics is less than minuscule compared to the amount of dollars in circulation and looking for a home. Do some research on comics, and you'll find it has been one of the better historical hedges against inflation.

Of course when you at bubble levels of any item, it's only a matter of time.

I guess I didnt express myself properly. I LOVE Silver Age comics. And I do appreciate comic books as a hedge against the U.S. dollar. I guess I am just taken back by the EXTENT of the hedge. Some of these prices are insane. They imply that the dollar is going to disappear or depreciate significantly. How else do you account for a $76,000+ Fantastic Four 12 or a $25,000 ASM 34. Isn't this decline in the dollar, as exhibited by these Krazy comic book prices possibly a bit exxagerated?

Don't equate the hedging activity directly against the dollar, just think of it as an alternate diversification asset to add to some portfolios during turbulent times. The number one thing managers are thinking these days is about risk. More diversification = less risk.

Many wealthy folks see foreboding signs in the market, and want less risk via diversification out of dollar, market, etc.

Once again, those values you throw around... 100k for a comic are an absolute pittance compared to the amount of cash that is in circulation, and in the pockets of hedge funds and high net worth entities.

I hear you man but diversification for the sake of diversification makes no sense. Why pay 25k for an Xmen 94 unless you sincerely believe the dollar is done. I mean these prices seem to imply the end of the dollar is right around the corner. I dunno I guess I am surprised by this run up in prices to such the degree. What if the dollar doesnt collapse, then they overpaid by an insane amount. Or do the rich really have that much money to burn ?

I'm not sure even if I had 25k to burn I'd be buying one book with the funds. hm

Thats the thing. These prices seem to imply the death of the dollar as a certainty. Crazy stuff for sure.

Thanks, primarily to actions of the FED in concert with the government and banking institutions, yes, there is money to burn. And it really isn't that insane, when you consider how much of a fraction that is to a typical portfolio manager. In life some things go up, and if you are in the right spot at the right time, your ticket comes in. This is the case for UHG comic speculators at the moment (further inspiring pressing rags to niches, or should i say riches), but like all bubbles, a few profit and a few hold the bag. Fortunately for the financial elite, they have ways of shuffling the bag part on or off their books.

I would wager that these insane buyers are not collectors who give 2c about comics, rather, they are investors looking to diversify. Many high net worth investors are a bit jaded about the market's problems, expecting hyperinflation as a result of recent policies, and looking to diversify into tangible assets. Could be many hedge funds diversifying, could even be foreign investors looking to unload U.S. dollars (china?).

There cannot really be that many people looking to buy comics as a hedge against the dollar, can there?

The monetary value of the entire supply of HG comics is less than minuscule compared to the amount of dollars in circulation and looking for a home. Do some research on comics, and you'll find it has been one of the better historical hedges against inflation.

I guess I didnt express myself properly. I LOVE Silver Age comics. And I do appreciate comic books as a hedge against the U.S. dollar. I guess I am just taken back by the EXTENT of the hedge. Some of these prices are insane. They imply that the dollar is going to disappear or depreciate significantly. How else do you account for a $76,000+ Fantastic Four 12 or a $25,000 ASM 34. Isn't this decline in the dollar, as exhibited by these Krazy comic book prices possibly a bit exxagerated?

Don't equate the hedging activity directly against the dollar, just think of it as an alternate diversification asset to add to some portfolios during turbulent times. The number one thing managers are thinking these days is about risk. More diversification = less risk.

Many wealthy folks see foreboding signs in the market, and want less risk via diversification out of dollar, market, etc.

Once again, those values you throw around... 100k for a comic are an absolute pittance compared to the amount of cash that is in circulation, and in the pockets of hedge funds and high net worth entities.

I hear you man but diversification for the sake of diversification makes no sense. Why pay 25k for an Xmen 94 unless you sincerely believe the dollar is done. I mean these prices seem to imply the end of the dollar is right around the corner. I dunno I guess I am surprised by this run up in prices to such the degree. What if the dollar doesnt collapse, then they overpaid by an insane amount. Or do the rich really have that much money to burn ?

I'm not sure even if I had 25k to burn I'd be buying one book with the funds. hm

Thats the thing. These prices seem to imply the death of the dollar as a certainty. Crazy stuff for sure.

I don't delve into economics enough to comment on the decline of the dollar, but I've never considered comics as an 'investment' or a viable hedge for at-risk money.

I'm conservative in that respect and lean toward more proven venues. And to stave off the return comment I already hear...Yes, I know key comics have historically increased in value, however, I think at the source they are still a 'hobby' and not a true investment vehicle (that's just me - no offense towards those that believe otherwise). (thumbs u

Thanks, primarily to actions of the FED in concert with the government and banking institutions, yes, there is money to burn. And it really isn't that insane, when you consider how much of a fraction that is to a typical portfolio manager. In life some things go up, and if you are in the right spot at the right time, your ticket comes in. This is the case for UHG comic speculators at the moment, but like all bubbles, a few profit and a few hold the bag.

Fortunately for the financial elite, they have ways of shuffling the bag part on or off their books.

Are you suggesting that a portfolio manager goes out and is buying these UHG ? Who is managing the estates of their clients that they decided to pour the money into UHG comics ? Is this trend likely to continue ? or is this more of a one off in your opinion?

Thanks, primarily to actions of the FED in concert with the government and banking institutions, yes, there is money to burn. And it really isn't that insane, when you consider how much of a fraction that is to a typical portfolio manager. In life some things go up, and if you are in the right spot at the right time, your ticket comes in. This is the case for UHG comic speculators at the moment, but like all bubbles, a few profit and a few hold the bag.

Fortunately for the financial elite, they have ways of shuffling the bag part on or off their books.

Are you suggesting that a portfolio manager goes out and is buying these UHG ? Who is managing the estates of their clients that they decided to pour the money into UHG comics ? Is this trend likely to continue ? or is this more of a one off in your opinion?

If you know much about hedge funds, you would understand they are virtually required to have pretty much zero transparency, which is why we find out about Madoffs after the fact. Not saying all are corrupt or anything, it is just that their clients do not need to see where the money goes; all they care about is return statements. And hopefully they do not all get redemption calls simultaneously (which is what happened during the recent meltdown) I think a lot of things are one off at the moment, considering these are unprecedented times in the markets. We just had a crash not rivaled by any other, except for maybe 87 and 30. This is a 10 sigma event for the markets, and depending on whether or not the market is restored it's hard to say. I'm typically a believer that they will find some way out, but many do not buy that and are anticipating worst to come.

The idea of arbitrage and comics has crossed my mind quite a bit. Buy in one market and flip in another simultaneously for a profit. Sure there's risk, but that's why I called it 'hot potatoes.' Many such strategies are employed by fund managers chasing alpha these days.

I guess only time will tell as to whether the prices paid today were bargains or the top of the market. Interesting stuff for sure either way.

Housing prices or cabbage patch dolls, when they explode exponentially, at some point there is a point where even the most irrational believer starts dumping, and the waterfall happens quickly.

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent." Keynes

"Strike while the iron is hot." proverb from a real estate agent 4 -5yrs ago when I sold my home.

I guess only time will tell as to whether the prices paid today were bargains or the top of the market. Interesting stuff for sure either way.

Housing prices or cabbage patch dolls, when they explode exponentially, at some point there is a point where even the most irrational believer starts dumping, and the waterfall happens quickly.

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent." Keynes

"Strike will the iron is hot." proverb from a real estate agent 4 -5yrs ago when I sold my home.

So wish I had followed that freakin' advice! :eek:

So if the ultra-rich investors are hedging their bets with UHG books and they aren't expecting the market to recover WHO are they going to sell these books to?

I could see buying Spidey 1's or Fantasy 15's but some of the prices on these books would demand a belief in the hobby that would imply a complete destruction of the U.S. dollar, and a total strengthening of the entire comic book hobby as a legitimate investment strategy....or it could be a bubble ;)

So if the ultra-rich investors are hedging their bets with UHG books and they aren't expecting the market to recover WHO are they going to sell these books to?

Good question... when the housing sub-prime loan market crashed off an unprecedented proliferation of multiple 'easy' loans, which were repackaged as toxic garbage (CDOs), who did they expect to buy the junk when it came crashing down?

The better question might be, did they really care, when they were making enormous profits?

And the answer was, you the taxpayer bought them.

The moral of the story is, don't try to equate rational logic with markets.

I've tried for years, and it just doesn't work that way.

Good question... when the housing sub-prime loan market crashed off an unprecedented proliferation of multiple 'easy' loans, which were repackaged as toxic garbage (CDOs), who did they expect to buy the junk when it came crashing down?

The better question might be, did they really care, when they were making enormous profits?

Yeah, but investors aren't going to be able to cry to Uncle Sam or IMF if the bottom suddenly drops out of the UHG comic market...right? hm

Yeah, but investors aren't going to be able to cry to Uncle Sam or IMF if the bottom suddenly drops out of the UHG comic market...right? hm

Generally depends on 'who' the investors are. :whistle:

Take a look at these too

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=86638

X-Men 94 $27,779

Avengers 57 $18,750

Spidey 34 $25,250

DUDE!! :o screw the Stock Market,everyone should buy Comic Books.

Yuh, my thoughts exactly

Buy Silver Age hi-grades

U Cant go wrong

With prices like that,how can you go wrong with Silver Age Hi-Grades? (thumbs u

All below are Pending Sale @ CL

http://www.comiclink.com/search_adv.asp?all=y&TITLE=&TITLEOPT=ALL&ISSUE=&Condition=&ConditionTo=&CGC=YES&CensusRank=&Pedigree=&PRICEF=&PRICET=&DESCRIPTION=&DESCRIPTIONOPT=ALL&SearchRemarks=&SearchCGC=&EXCLUDE=&CATEGORIES=-1&WCATEGORIES=-1&SORT=NEW&_where_forsale=y&_where_auctions=y&x=34&y=9&where_forsale=y

ASM 5 9.6 $31,500

ASM 7 9.6 $28,350

ASM 9 9.6 $24,150

ASM 11 9.6 $28,350

ASM 12 9.6 $23,100

ASm 13 9.6 $35,000

ASM 16 9.6 $21,000

ASM 17 9.6 $13,650

ASM 21 9.6 $10,700

ASM 28 9.6 $30,000

ASM 30 9.6 $9,000

Nice books....good prices

If 1 person bought them all, he now has THE killer ASM collection

I bet in a few years these could be 6 figure books

I remember when the ASM 19 CGC 9.9 sold for 22k a few years back and I laughed at the buyer

Now it looks as I was the fool

These books are rocketing UP

Take a look at these too

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=86638

X-Men 94 $27,779

Avengers 57 $18,750

Spidey 34 $25,250

DUDE!! :o screw the Stock Market,everyone should buy Comic Books.

Yuh, my thoughts exactly

Buy Silver Age hi-grades

U Cant go wrong

With prices like that,how can you go wrong with Silver Age Hi-Grades? (thumbs u

The whole idea behind markets is to BUY when it's LOW, and SELL when it's HIGH.

This applies to ALL markets. :gossip: