• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statistically, according to CGC census, the scarcest and most common JIMs are...

147 posts in this topic

I'd like to hear Brent's answer although I didn't think #94 was that tough either...but I've never been in a market for a 9.2 or up so I don't know about that part of the spectrum.

I do know I've owned and seen a few in the VF range so it's not an impossible book across the board like some other issues. This may be one of those anomolies that are much tougher only in the NM range and this could likely be simply because some people haven't slabbed them.

I think that's more likely to be true Roy. High grade copies ie 8.0 - 9.2 didn't seem that difficult to find in comparison with #95. I knew back in 2001/2002, that #95 was very, very difficult. I bought every copy in 7.5 or better that I could find.

I do know that I had a tough time upgrading finding another 9.4 with better PQ. Seems that the issue did have PQ problems? I could be wrong on that.

Are you talking PQ problems on the #94? My raw VF has nice PQ.

A few books from what I have seen seem to have PQ problems.

#95 and #103 always seem to be tanned whenever I find a decent copy.

#90 is just tough because of the chipping. That book had a monopoly on chipping.

Some more data for you to chew on.

Toughest over 9.0 is a tie between issues 84 and 90. With 3 copies each above 9.0.

Next is issue 94 with only 5 copies.

Third is 87, 89 and 95 with 7 copies each.

That sounds about right.

(thumbs u

#84 and #90 are the impossible books.

Strange Tales was the other one that I did. Here are the results. I did issues 101 thru 135, and merely calculated how many copies above 7.0 were available for each book.

The Scarcest copy is issue 127 with only 25 copies 7.0 and above. This isn't a key, but the surrounding issues are much more available. Not sure the reason for this.

The second scarcest copy is issue 102 with only 26 issues available above 7.0. This is an early torch issue, but wouldn't be considered key.

The third scarcest copy is issue 136 with only 27 issues available above 7.0. Second Nick Fury issue.

All of the above issues have copies in 9.6 but should be considered quite scarce.

The most common issue is (no surprise) 135 This is the first Nick Fury issue and is quite available, but demand is pretty high. There are a 147 copies 7.0 and above. What is interesting is that it has only 2 copies at 9.6 and above. Which is a disproportionate amount when compared to the much scarcer issues.

The second most common issue is issue 138 with 121 copies. Much more available in high grade with 10 copies at 9.6 and above. Not a key.

The third most common issue is 110 Again, no surprise, this is the first Doctor Strange and is easily the most coveted issue of the series. There are 114 copies at 7.0 and above.

The other keys in the series, 101, 114 and 115 are ranked 22nd, 25th and 24th respectively. Again, no real surprises here as they are all coveted by collectors.

A more detailed list to come later.

No wonder I can't find a 127! :frustrated:

Isn't 103 near the top of the rare list? ???

I hope you used this site and didn't look them all up yourself.

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/customissues.asp?title=Journey Into Mystery&issuestart=51&issueend=100&vars=no

Edit: Don't know why I can't get the link to work. Copy and paste it.

It doesn't like the spaces in the link (after the word Journey)... try this one:

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/customissues.asp?title=Journey%20Into%20Mystery&issuestart=1&issueend=150&vars=no

(thumbs u

I've seen the site before, but never used that functionality. Thanks!

:applause:

Man, Brent. Just awesome. Thanks for showing!

Thanks Roy. I wish I still had them. Especially 84, 89 and 90...

I know the feeling.

(thumbs u

I remember selling the 84 and 89 like it was yesterday. The buyer pulled the trigger at my then high price tag, and then we talked for at least 15 - 20 minutes at the show because he was still not sure it was going to be a good deal for him in the long run. I said that if you hold onto it for 3 - 5 years, they'll be worth double. What do you estimate these 2 would bring at auction individually these days Roy?