• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Comics

251 posts in this topic

Anyway, I just think this has been carried too far for too long. It doesn't make sense to drag Tom down when nothing has ever been proven about it. And to try to further justify it by associating him to Doug is wrong. Tom is not Doug's partner. Tom had nothing to do with Doug's legal problems which occurred in his legal business. I actually think Tom does more business with Josh than he does with Doug (even though I am pretty sure that FF #1 is Tom's now, not Dougs, as I know Tom bought one from Doug at NYCC last year).

You do realize I didn't write this, correct Dale?

After rereading, I realize you didn't write all of it. I will edit my post to reflect this... Sorry about that.

Anyway, I just think this has been carried too far for too long. It doesn't make sense to drag Tom down when nothing has ever been proven about it. And to try to further justify it by associating him to Doug is wrong. Tom is not Doug's partner. Tom had nothing to do with Doug's legal problems which occurred in his legal business. I actually think Tom does more business with Josh than he does with Doug (even though I am pretty sure that FF #1 is Tom's now, not Dougs, as I know Tom bought one from Doug at NYCC last year).

You do realize I didn't write this, correct Dale?

After rereading, I realize you didn't write all of it. I will edit my post to reflect this... Sorry about that.

My point was to say -- and this is why I assume you skimmed it -- was that I find Tom's "good guy" reaction to me to be very curious, but certainly not dispositive in any way, shape or fashion, and if there was any "real" evidence of Brulato knowing or participating in Ewertesque activities, I never saw it.

So when you fire out at me -- you're misdirecting the anger. But I will say that if we're going to starting throwing gas on the fire, please trust me when I say that there are always competing forces willing to supply information willing to take down anyone if it benefits them. Would they testify to it in court? Probably not. But if people want to start airing dirty laundry, they have to remember it all gets aired, not just some peoples. And that's ultimately why litigation never goes anywhere in comic book land.

I'm only interested in facts and evidence. So when I've spoken about issues, I'm very careful to be able to verify the facts and not speak out of "conjecture".

Doug's a swell guy. Each of the 48 counts against him were mistakes. Separate, individual mistakes. No pattern there.

So,other than Doug Schmell, a disbarred lawyer who sells high grade Pedigreecomics and has some connection with Tom Brulato; and Jason Ewart who micro-trimmed comics to get higher CGC grades and who has some connection to Tom Brulato, are there others who we should be concerned about?

I'm not being facetious, I am just seriously wondering is there anyone else out in comic-sales land who some might have issues with?

(Of course Danny Dupcak/robojo33/comic-keys has been discussed ad nauseam).

This all depends on where you would draw the line of having "issues" with. There are lots of buried bodies out there.

I'll just say this -- Brulato really seems to despise me -- as he ignores me every time we are even remotely near each other and goes out of his way to do so, even when I've directly addressed him. I find it humorous that he feels so strongly, if of course, he had no knowledge of Ewert's activities. If I found out my partner was involved in such activities, I'd go out of my way to thank the people (and it wasn't exactly me alone, but rather the whole boards) who helped to expose someone who was putting me at risk personally.

All that said, during the whole time, I can think of no, absolutely no evidence, that ever concretely showed that Brulato was involved in any "fraudulent" activities. So when I see an implication, all I can say is, I think sometimes conjecture is okay, but I really never saw any evidence that really backed it up.

Brian,

Honestly, you know I have no problem with you at all, but I get really tired of reading this stuff. Tom is a stand up guy. He doesn't deny pressing, never has that I can tell. He made good on as many books as he could that were Ewert related.

If association with Ewert alone is enough to make a person guilty, half the people on this board bought and sold books with him(probably a slight exaggeration, but you get my point).

I am not sticking up for Jason, because honestly, I never cared for the guy, and did very little business with him. But people on this board worshipped him for awhile.

Like I said, nothing personal BK. You are a good guy, but as far as I know, so is Tom.

Did you read what I wrote or did you just skim over it Dale? I think you need to go back and reread.

Incidentally, it was more than just "associating" it was a full on partnership.

Yes, I realize Tom and Jason were in "business" together, not sure about the "full" part, but whatever.

But Doug and Tom are not in business together.

Doug's a swell guy. Each of the 48 counts against him were mistakes. Separate, individual mistakes. No pattern there.

So,other than Doug Schmell, a disbarred lawyer who sells high grade Pedigreecomics and has some connection with Tom Brulato; and Jason Ewart who micro-trimmed comics to get higher CGC grades and who has some connection to Tom Brulato, are there others who we should be concerned about?

I'm not being facetious, I am just seriously wondering is there anyone else out in comic-sales land who some might have issues with?

This all depends on where you would draw the line of having "issues" with. There are lots of buried bodies out there.

I'll just say this -- Brulato really seems to despise me -- as he ignores me every time we are even remotely near each other and goes out of his way to do so, even when I've directly addressed him. I find it humorous that he feels so strongly, if of course, he had no knowledge of Ewert's activities. If I found out my partner was involved in such activities, I'd go out of my way to thank the people (and it wasn't exactly me alone, but rather the whole boards) who helped to expose someone who was putting me at risk personally.

All that said, during the whole time, I can think of no, absolutely no evidence, that ever concretely showed that Brulato was involved in any "fraudulent" activities. So when I see an implication, all I can say is, I think sometimes conjecture is okay, but I really never saw any evidence that really backed it up.

Brian,

Honestly, you know I have no problem with you at all, but I get really tired of reading this stuff. Tom is a stand up guy. He doesn't deny pressing, never has that I can tell. He made good on as many books as he could that were Ewert related.

If association with Ewert alone is enough to make a person guilty, half the people on this board bought and sold books with him(probably a slight exaggeration, but you get my point).

I am not sticking up for Jason, because honestly, I never cared for the guy, and did very little business with him. But people on this board worshipped him for awhile.

Like I said, nothing personal BK. You are a good guy, but as far as I know, so is Tom.

Did you read what I wrote or did you just skim over it Dale? I think you need to go back and reread.

Yes, I realize Tom and Jason were in "business" together, not sure about the "full" part, but whatever.

Nope and they never have been to my knowledge. More competitors than anything else. VIA buys sure seemed like a full partnership as far as it was held out to the public. I could be wrong, but I think most people at least had the perception they were partners.

VIA, was it not? hm

And for some of the time presumably ejaenter on Ebay. BTW, for those of us that are Class of '05 board members, I'm sure there are many, this poster included, that showed up here solely because of ejaenter. I was buying slabs on Ebay like a fiend and i just couldn't believe the stuff that guy was puitting out. All. The. Time.

Kudos to the Boards for the unbelieveable detective work and dedication. Even though you are all a bunch of dodgy ers that i keep one eye on.

Brian,

Nope and they never have been to my knowledge. More competitors than anything else. VIA buys sure seemed like a full partnership as far as it was held out to the public. I could be wrong, but I think most people at least had the perception they were partners.

I always had the impression that Tom was the silent money, and Jason was running around making money using Tom's finances, buying the type of books that Tom never takes the time to look at. But that may just be my impression of the situation.

I would disagree with this characterization. Drdonaldblake worshipped him for a while. I think a LOT of people on the boards were extremely skeptical and suspicious of Ewert.

Ironically, after Ewert was revealed to be doing things a whole lot worse than pressing, a new generation of members of these boards started realizing how much money one can make from pressing books and it went from a stigmatized practice back in the old days to something that seems commonly accepted now.

I always had the impression that Tom was the silent money, and Jason was running around making money using Tom's finances, buying the type of books that Tom never takes the time to look at. But that may just be my impression of the situation.

I think this is correct. Tom provided money and some of VIA's inventory, and Jason executed. Everyone always forgets that Rob Ronin was involved too.

VIA was

Robert Ronin who did the Accounting

Tom Brulato who provided financing

Jason Ewert who was a dealer already and didn't mind do the work as far as going through 1000's of books. Ronin got very bored quickly and frankly was useless at shows.

Tom will partner with guys who get the books. If you don't get the books frankly he has no use for you. Nothing personal, just business.

I think this is correct. Tom provided money and some of VIA's inventory, and Jason executed. Everyone always forgets that Rob Ronin was involved too.

Rob Rogovin? Yeah, probably because he's been off the comic landscape for awhile now.

Rob Rogovin? Yeah, probably because he's been off the comic landscape for awhile now.

Apparently Rob Ronin, who I didn't know, never mind.

People were very skeptical of all the 9.6's he would get. Frankly his grading percentages were pretty good when compared to everyone else. While he did have a good grading eye it surprised me how many 9.6/9.8's he could get from CGC. Heritage was the first auction house I was skeptical of based on how many times the same book came up for auction in a higher grade holder.

"I always had the impression that Tom was the silent money, and Jason was running around making money using Tom's finances, buying the type of books that Tom never takes the time to look at. But that may just be my impression of the situation."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't speak for others but I've fronted money for partners in the past. I'm not judging anyone but I am simply thinking back to my own personal dealings.

I always had one rule when investing.

I always had to fully understand the business my partners were involved with.

Why??

1)I was always trying to understand my exposure.

2Since my reputation was on the line ...I needed to fully understand if I might be involved in anything unethical/ illegal.

When you make an investment in business (especially in a business you know)

do you ask questions if your partner returns a profit on a regular basis? Do you need to fully understand the business?

I guess one needs to ask Madoff's investors?

As I said ..... That's my thinking.

People were very skeptical of all the 9.6's he would get. Frankly his grading percentages were pretty good when compared to everyone else. While he did have a good grading eye it surprised me how many 9.6/9.8's he could get from CGC. Heritage was the first auction house I was skeptical of based on how many times the same book came up for auction in a higher grade holder.

These days I'm skeptical of every auction house and everyone involved in the hobby.

Bob excluded. :hi:

Apparently Rob Ronin, who I didn't know, never mind.

Is Rob Rogovin still in this hobby ? He used to be over at Four Color comics in New York. Is he still around ?

Recently, I was in the middle(literally) of a transaction involving Brulato. He wanted a book that was promised to me, a 9.8 SA book. I agreed to take Tom's 9.6 undercopy and step aside on the 9.8, however I did not like the price Tom was asking for his 9.6 . I brought up the fact that I purchased two low numbered Spidey's from VIA that came back PLOD. I asked for a goodwill gesture from him

of a lower price on the 9.6 . He blamed the Spideys on Ewert and said no. I still stepped aside and did not buy his undercopy.

Tom seems like a difficult person to get to know on a personal level. He seems to be your buddy when he wants something and ignores you otherwise. I know the dealers like him because he spends big money, however, that alone does not make him a stand-up guy.

I would disagree with this characterization. Drdonaldblake worshipped him for a while. I think a LOT of people on the boards were extremely skeptical and suspicious of Ewert.

Ironically, after Ewert was revealed to be doing things a whole lot worse than pressing, a new generation of members of these boards started realizing how much money one can make from pressing books and it went from a stigmatized practice back in the old days to something that seems commonly accepted now.

Hello, well put, my exact thoughts as to what happened in this hobby,

BB

Rocky mountain X-Men = 100 Count lots of Kevin Maas, Sam Horn and Gregg Jeffries. :(

1988 Score. Opened boxes cases for fun and traded avery Jeffries card in for another box at a local shop.

Pack junkie. :cloud9: