• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Collections NOT in the Registry?

145 posts in this topic

tom brulato's ASM collection would be #1

He's got the best overall SA collection by far :gossip:

Is it not a dead heat between he and Doug? I thought Doug was fairly competitive with him or clearly ahead of him in Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, and X-Men, although Doug may be behind him now since he seems to have sold some of his best books the last few years.

Is it not a dead heat between he and Doug? I thought Doug was fairly competitive with him or clearly ahead of him in Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, and X-Men, although Doug may be behind him now since he seems to have sold some of his best books the last few years.

I think even Doug would say Tom's collection is better. The tie-breaker would be the mega-keys, where Tom mostly has the better copies. The 9.4 Hulk #1. The 9.8 ASM #1. The 9.6 JIM #83. The 9.8 Curator X-Men #1 vs. the 9.8 PC X-Men #1. The 9.6 TTA #35.

The only mega-key where Doug had the better copy was the 9.6 FF #1, and now Tom owns that too. I think the only mega-key that is top of census or at least tied for top of Census that Tom doesn't own is the 9.6 AF #15.

I always assume about 80% of collections aren't in the registry...so if you're say #20 in a set right now, you're probably around #100 worldwide, unless it's a mostly Modern set, in which case you're likely to be anywhere between #200 to #10000. (shrug) My FF run isn't in the registry, but I'd be somewhere around #5 on the current list, more like somewhere near the bottom of the top 50 including the runs not listed.

FF, I'm trying to figure out your formula. #20 would be #100, #5 becomes #50...I understand your general meaning, but could you be any more 'broad.' So many factors involved when comparing: #20 right now out of how many total? What era/title/grade is the collection in? How complete/how deep? Is the title hot right now like GL or flat like JLA? I agree that there are plenty of collections out there still roaming free (especially DCs), but your blanket statement about registry status adjustment is just...weird. Like, how would a current #1 set be affected; automatically knocked down to #10?

Not trying to start anything (unless you want to :slapfight:), I enjoy your posts & feel you're an excellent contributor to the boards.

The numbers game you threw out there just seems so...out of left field.

Rick

The Dentist's MH Action 1, Allentown Tec 27

And everything else.... From what I understand he's even got a solid Marvel collection, bought when they were worth peanuts.

That may answer this question; Who has the best overall collection including both companies, versus one or the other?

Rick

The numbers game you threw out there just seems so...out of left field.

I suppose it'd range from your current rank up to a rank that's likely to be five times greater than the current rank, assuming 80% of collections aren't listed. So if you're #20 now, your actual rank most likely ranges anywhere from #20 to #100. You could a more accurate indicator by factoring in weights based upon current CGC Census populations, but that's more work than it'd be worth.

Of the known collections, I would guess this is the case.

There are many collections not known that are phenomenal though.

I saw a post on here saying they figured 80% of collections are not in the registry. I would say the number would be closed to 99.9% of collections are not in the registry.

The Dentist's

Verzyl's

Jon Berk's

Bangzoom's

Mr Bedrock's

Adamstrange's

And those are just off the top of my head

What collections?

The Dentist's MH Action 1, Allentown Tec 27

Verzyl's MH Marvel Mystery Comics run among other books

Jon Berk's Incredible GA collection

Bangzoom's See above

Mr Bedrock's Amazing GA collection, mostly/all slabbed

Adamstrange's Unbelievable SA collection with many White Mountain copies

I believe that Verzyl has all the Mile High Timely hero books. But I could be wrong.

Verzyl owns the entire Mile High Timely run. The only book that is not a Mile High is his Cap #1 because the Mile High was restored. I believe he has the Allentown #1 which is a 9.6

Don Rosa still has one of the more complete collections of anyone. He has every pre-code horror book, he has practically every Dell/Four Color/Gold Key book, and a complete(or near complete) Silver Age run (Marvel, DC, and others). And he has lots of Golden Age too.

The condition of his collection jumps all over the place, but I am certain his copy of Showcase #4 is one of the finest in existence.

I saw a post on here saying they figured 80% of collections are not in the registry. I would say the number would be closed to 99.9% of collections are not in the registry.

While I agree, I don't believe the vast majority of that 99.9% would be at all competitive. So the more useful question to ponder is what percentage of the top 100 collections of a set are currently in the Registry? 10% - 30% is a decent guess.

Many of you guys really have no idea of the vast amount of collectors with terrific collections. There are a ton of guys with complete Silver Age Marvel & DC collections. Tons of guys with immense GA collections. Tons of guys with complete Disney, EC, pre-code horror, and on down the line. The depth and the breadth of this hobby and the collectors that comprise it never ceases to amaze me.

I know of a collector who has basically 99% of every Superman collectible ever made. I don't know if he has an Action #1, but he has some extremely obscure stuff. And he has tons of original art, he has tons of statues, collectible rings, etc. He also has an enormous Walt Kelly collection

I know a guy who has a copy of every book which is in the top 100 GA comics, and multiples of some of them. Well, had....Ricky just bought his Silver Streak #6 Allentown.

Most of these guys not only don't publicize their collections and really don't talk about them much at all. Most of them have never and probably never will be on this board and a majority of the books are not slabbed. We have only touched the tip of the iceberg with the books that are out there.

Many of you guys really have no idea of the vast amount of collectors with terrific collections. There are a ton of guys with complete Silver Age Marvel & DC collections. Tons of guys with immense GA collections. Tons of guys with complete Disney, EC, pre-code horror, and on down the line. The depth and the breadth of this hobby and the collectors that comprise it never ceases to amaze me.

You're talking high grade here, i.e. 8.x for Gold and 9.x for Silver?

While I agree, I don't believe the vast majority of that 99.9% would be at all competitive. So the more useful question to ponder is what percentage of the top 100 collections of a set are currently in the Registry? 10% - 30% is a decent guess.

This would be an amazing number. Only because so many books nowadays are being bought (and people are paying top dollar) because they are 1 or 1 of only a handful "in existence." Whereas you guys are saying that there many multiples of these copies, they are just unrecorded.

Verzyl owns the entire Mile High Timely run. The only book that is not a Mile High is his Cap #1 because the Mile High was restored. I believe he has the Allentown #1 which is a 9.6

He doesn`t have the MH Red Raven #1, does he?