• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Collections NOT in the Registry?

145 posts in this topic

Verzyl owns the entire Mile High Timely run. The only book that is not a Mile High is his Cap #1 because the Mile High was restored. I believe he has the Allentown #1 which is a 9.6

He doesn`t have the MH Red Raven #1, does he?

Bedrock or Gator could answer that. I'm not sure.

Chuck still has the Red Raven 1 (thumbs u

Last I knew he does not have the Subby 32. There are probably a handful he does not have.

Were they sold before he had a chance to acquire the run?

My own collection would fall somewere within the catogory. I cherry-picked my books off the shelf for as long as I can remember. My books haven't seen the light of day to this day. Stored away, untouched. But not in the Registry. I'm sure there are a few others out there like myself.

My own collection would fall somewere within the catogory. I cherry-picked my books off the shelf for as long as I can remember. My books haven't seen the light of day to this day. Stored away, untouched. But not in the Registry. I'm sure there are a few others out there like myself.

Which runs do you have?

Too many to start naming. Lets say all the silverage Marvels and DC's with some Charlton's, Dells, Four Color thrown in. Been collecting all my life since '55. I'm fairly well known as a Collector. Not just comics though. Models, toys and movies too. I have all my original books that I bought. And I have all my older brother and sister's books that they had still in my collection. I don't plan on selling any. Planning on handing them on down to my kids. But that may change. I'm at the moment working on plans for a comic book museum. So maybe some of the books will end up there.

When I was a kid I was lucky to have a older brother that worked in a hobby shop. Its one of the reasons I became interested in collecting at a early age. He would always bring me home something; models, comics, toys. Maybe someday I'll be in the Registry. But right now its not in my plans.

Verzyl owns the entire Mile High Timely run. The only book that is not a Mile High is his Cap #1 because the Mile High was restored. I believe he has the Allentown #1 which is a 9.6

Last I knew he does not have the Subby 32. There are probably a handful he does not have.

Were they sold before he had a chance to acquire the run?

Yes they were. AdamStrange was correct that he is missing but a handful and he has been able to track most or all of them down but the owners won't sell because to do so would mean they were lost forever. Unfortunately, for us mortals. :sorry:

Jim

Actually, I'll disagree with you. TB and DS are not anomolies. There are plenty of people who were meticulous back in the day, as witnessed by some of the great Pedigrees that have come to market. Even outside of those famous Pedigree collections there were many anal and condition conscious collectors.

The glass isn't 99% empty, it's 1% full! :whatev:

I'll believe there was someone pre-CGC who picked out all 9.6/9.8 or better copies of some major Gold or Silver runs when I see it.

So you're saying that just because you haven't seen it yet it's not possible.

You're assuming that we've found the "best of the best".

You're assuming that after TB and DS where made the mold was broken.

I've seen it. I've shown him books that pre slabbing and his grading is as tight as anybody you'll ever know, but I can't argue intagibles with you.

Think about it, just in the past year we have found the Valparaiso and Rocky Mountain books and those are now sitting in registries.

I maintain that there are MANY more similar collections out there waiting to be either found, CGC graded or added to registries.

That's a no brainer.

You guys are both right.

There are a ton of nice collections out there, put together by collectors with discerning eyes. By nice, I'd be looking at books in the 9.2-9.8 range. Some of them would approach TBs books. Equalling or surpassing them would be a tall order, though, as TB would probably have an average grade between 9.6 and 9.8 in his SA collection.

Too many to start naming. Lets say all the silverage Marvels and DC's with some Charlton's, Dells, Four Color thrown in. Been collecting all my life since '55.

What kind of shape are some of the big books in, such as Showcase 4/22, Brave and Bold 28, JLA 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, FF 1, etc? You should scan some of the nice ones...just about everyone here LOVES seeing nice older books. :wishluck:

everyone seems willing to accept that there are "a ton" of collections out there. Meaning a consensus has been reached that there are still killer collection to come. But I'd estimate only 2 dozen tops. and the conditions will be more like the Toths overall (7s thru 9.6s) with maybe two or 3 collections at PC quality, consistently 9.4/6 level.

but who knows?

Fishler told me that book was stolen. Speaking of collections, I guess he must have a pretty decent one. How about D. Grimes?? in Orgeon, Paulie's buddy?

Too many to start naming. Lets say all the silverage Marvels and DC's with some Charlton's, Dells, Four Color thrown in. Been collecting all my life since '55. I'm fairly well known as a Collector. Not just comics though. Models, toys and movies too. I have all my original books that I bought. And I have all my older brother and sister's books that they had still in my collection. I don't plan on selling any. Planning on handing them on down to my kids. But that may change. I'm at the moment working on plans for a comic book museum. So maybe some of the books will end up there.

When I was a kid I was lucky to have a older brother that worked in a hobby shop. Its one of the reasons I became interested in collecting at a early age. He would always bring me home something; models, comics, toys. Maybe someday I'll be in the Registry. But right now its not in my plans.

Great child hood memory, my friend, Bunky

Not in the registry?

And you call yourself Mister Comics? :insane:

everyone seems willing to accept that there are "a ton" of collections out there. Meaning a consensus has been reached that there are still killer collection to come. But I'd estimate only 2 dozen tops. and the conditions will be more like the Toths overall (7s thru 9.6s) with maybe two or 3 collections at PC quality, consistently 9.4/6 level.

but who knows?

There are far more than 2 dozen super collections out there. I know of at least 8 or 10 collections myself with incredible books, and that is without really thinking about it. I bet I could come up with nearly 2 dozen myself where the vast majority of the books would be 8.5 - 9.8.

I guess I meant OO collections. Like the Pedigree collections. WIth solid runs in HG.

Youre right, many of us (including customers of yours over the years) have assembled and held onto large collections of great stuff... but do they have straight up RUNS of nearly every title in grade? That was always my goal for a long time and I never got there.

You have 24 clients/friends with collections rivaling Schmell/Brulatos melange of super HG Pedigree books? tu salut! when are they selling! : )

Fishler told me that book was stolen. Speaking of collections, I guess he must have a pretty decent one. How about D. Grimes?? in Orgeon, Paulie's buddy?

Not even in the same universe.

Fishler told me that book was stolen. Speaking of collections, I guess he must have a pretty decent one. How about D. Grimes?? in Oregon, Paulie's buddy?

Fixed that for you (thumbs u

tom brulato's ASM collection would be #1

He's got the best overall SA collection by far :gossip:

Of the known collections, I would guess this is the case.

There are many collections not known that are phenomenal though.

I saw a post on here saying they figured 80% of collections are not in the registry. I would say the number would be closed to 99.9% of collections are not in the registry.

What are these people waiting for ? when are they gonna show these GEMS to the collecting public ? Are they waiting for a certian price point to be reached ? Death ? I just don't get it

I saw a post on here saying they figured 80% of collections are not in the registry. I would say the number would be closed to 99.9% of collections are not in the registry.

While I agree, I don't believe the vast majority of that 99.9% would be at all competitive. So the more useful question to ponder is what percentage of the top 100 collections of a set are currently in the Registry? 10% - 30% is a decent guess.

This would be an amazing number. Only because so many books nowadays are being bought (and people are paying top dollar) because they are 1 or 1 of only a handful "in existence." Whereas you guys are saying that there many multiples of these copies, they are just unrecorded.

I agree this would mean that some are paying top dollar , and will be disappointed when higher grade copies, eventually surface.

There is something to be said about collecting comic book OA as this issue is not a problem.

Full Disclosure- I collect high grade comics and comic book OA

tom brulato's ASM collection would be #1

He's got the best overall SA collection by far :gossip:

Of the known collections, I would guess this is the case.

There are many collections not known that are phenomenal though.

What are these people waiting for ? when are they gonna show these GEMS to the collecting public ? Are they waiting for a certian price point to be reached ? Death ? I just don't get it

why does everyone have to show their collection? some would rather not have people know what expensive books they have for fear of being nic cage'd. plus, some people buy books simply because they love the books, not because they need anyone feigning over what they own.