• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long do you wait?

20 posts in this topic

For payment once an eBay auction is closed?

I see a lot of auctions that run the gamut from 3 to 14 days. I'm leaning towards 7 before sending a *firm* email asking the buyer their true intent.

This obviously doesn't apply here since 99% of board members (100% in my experience pay in like 3 hours - why can't you all bid on my stuff on eBay?) hm:grin:

I usually say within 7 days. My bidders these days seem to either pay right away or make me wait longer than the 7 days.

Last run of auctions I'd say all but one out of 40 paid within the first 24 hours. The one lady made me wait three weeks. She gave me lots of excuses. I try to be willing to wait. I can't complain to loudly when they don't pay or they could neg me :( .

For payment once an eBay auction is closed?

I see a lot of auctions that run the gamut from 3 to 14 days. I'm leaning towards 7 before sending a *firm* email asking the buyer their true intent.

This obviously doesn't apply here since 99% of board members (100% in my experience pay in like 3 hours - why can't you all bid on my stuff on eBay?) hm:grin:

You can send a pm after a day or two if they haven't responded with intentions AND telegraph that you expect payment within a week.

Then hammer them when the week is up.

Communication is key.

Usually, I email them and say something like "This is just a friendly reminder I haven't received payment for "item X". If you have any questions about making your payment, please email me as soon as possible."

(thumbs u Exactly what I do now. Seven days it is then. ;) I revised my CGC template with that verbiage. I only have two buyers that are over a week - one has bought and paid before so little worry there, but the other apparently registered JUST to bid on my auction and won for $178.00... :P

I agree that you have to treat these people with kid gloves, but no way will I eat the FVF on that much scratch. (tsk)

Mucho gracias for everyone's input! :applause:

ebay suggests payment be made within 3 days

When should I pay?

All sellers appreciate quick payment and most ship after receiving payment, so it's good to pay as soon as you win an auction or buy a Fixed Price item. If you make an online payment, you can just click the Pay Now button in the email notification or on the item page. The seller will be paid and know to ship your item immediately. Otherwise, we recommend paying within three days of the sale. Some sellers include information on when they expect to be paid in their listings.

I usually ask for payment within 5 days in my auctions, and send a polite followup sometime in the 5-7 day range if payment hasn't been made.

More info from ebay

Contact your seller right away with any questions about payment. Once you've won or bought an item, you need to pay within 7 days or the seller may open a case to work this out with you in our Resolution Center. This creates a dialogue between sellers and buyers and helps them resolve transaction problems.

More info from ebay

Contact your seller right away with any questions about payment. Once you've won or bought an item, you need to pay within 7 days or the seller may open a case to work this out with you in our Resolution Center. This creates a dialogue between sellers and buyers and helps them resolve transaction problems.

I always thought it was 7 business days so figure a weekend in there and on the 10th day you file a npb with eBay.

Add a extra day for a holiday like last Monday.

I agree that you have to treat these people with kid gloves, but no way will I eat the FVF on that much scratch. (tsk)

There's never any need to eat the FVF on an unpaid item. I email after 7 days as a reminder, a final reminder after 9 days then a NPI dispute not long after if I receive no contact from the buyer. If they can't pay inside two weeks they have no intention of doing so.

I got a guy who buys from me every once and awhile using "Buy It Now" and it takes him forever to pay for the books. It's starting to become annoying (plus he's a boardie). I had to file a non-paying bidder complaint and send him a PM here to finally get him to pay fot a 4 week old $35 purchase a couple of months ago.

I'm about to block him since I've noticed he's been dinging me on the shipping rating. I think it's because he has to pay sales tax. I can't help it if I'm on file with the State of CA and have a reseller's tax permit. I don't like charging, but I report it so I don't get bothered later.

I need to start posting "all that bubble wrap I use costs money" in my ebay auctions. lol

When I buy a book off Ebay, whether it be auction or if I use BIN, I pay immediately, unless the seller has another book I'm interested in ending soon so I can save on shipping. If that's the case I always let the seller know my intention.

I have yet to sell on Ebay but when buying books I pay the second I win (if I win). The only time I waited to pay was because I was buying from a boardie and we had an additional deal pending for an extra book. Why wait? (shrug)

The longer I wait to pay the longer it takes to get my book right?

I guess I would have less patience then most.. After 7 days of non payment or communication I'd send one firm message wait 2 days for a reply and then file a non payment.

I usually say within 7 days. My bidders these days seem to either pay right away or make me wait longer than the 7 days.

Ditto. If they don't pay within the first day, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they haven't been paid yet, ect. By day 7 I usually send them a message asking if they still want the item.

There's never any need to eat the FVF on an unpaid item. I email after 7 days as a reminder, a final reminder after 9 days then a NPI dispute not long after if I receive no contact from the buyer. If they can't pay inside two weeks they have no intention of doing so.

Some of my auctions end for a measly .99. :P Those I'm less inclined to bugger over, but I agree, I'll be sending one more 'notice' to this guy about payment and then the NPB claim will follow shortly. (thumbs u