• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to make the hobby FUN again !

81 posts in this topic

Like shooting fish in a barrel Barks, Ducks, Archie will still be great 50 years from now :gossip:

I agree with that. The interesting thing, though is the stuff I read as a kid (Barks Ducks, Archie) is actually still great (thumbs u

It's a great idea and one that I have been pondering. I have been wanting to get all of the DC 20 cent covers for the same reason - they're what I bought at 7-11's when I was a kid and began reading comics. It's a shame that Marvel collectors don't have the resource that DC collectors have like Mike's Amazing World of DC. The Time Machine function is incredible!

NOTE: Looks like Mike is working on a Marvel database as well! (worship)

That time machine is very cool. Thanks for the link.

I agree on the condition aspect killing the fun of comics.

Most of my comics are in great condition, bagged and boarded, and ultimately stashed away in my closet where I rearly see/enjoy them. Recently I pulled out a misc. stack of old Marvel Star Wars comics in Good/VG bagged only. I started reading them and I loved it!

Some of my best comic memories involve 'beater readers' esp, the old Disney Digests.

:banana:

Ban the NOD. That should do it.

While I would agree that ignorance makes for a happier collector, I also think that more information makes for a more informed and educated collector. Given the choice, a more informed and educated collector wins in my opinion every time...

Jim

While I would agree that ignorance makes for a happier collector, I also think that more information makes for a more informed and educated collector. Given the choice, a more informed and educated collector wins in my opinion every time...

Jim

:cry: Let's not go down this road!

Jim

(shrug)

Jim

Jim

(shrug)

Jim

:gossip: Sounded like a pressing debate cropping up in a thread about nostalgia.

Jim

(shrug)

Jim

:gossip: Sounded like a pressing debate cropping up in a thread about nostalgia.

Nope...you'll find that in the BEWARE OF CGC SLABBING thread... (thumbs u

Jim

This is a nice idea. I'm thinking of collecting all the DC and Marvel books from when I was born (July 1986). Here is what I would be looking for:

'Mazing Man 17

Action Comics 581

Adventures Of The Outsiders 35

All-Star Squadron 59

Amazing Spider-Man 278

Alpha Flight 36

Avengers 257

Batman 397

Blue Beetle 2

Blue Devil 26

Booster Gold 6

Captain America 319

Cloak And Dagger 7

Conan The Barbarian 184

Conan The King 35

Daredevil 232

DC Challenge 9

DC Comics Presents 95

Detective Comics 564

Doctor Who 22

Eternals 10

Fantastic Four 292

Firestorm 49

Green Lantern Corps 202

Incredible Hulk 321

Infinity Inc 28

Iron Man 208

Justice League Of America 252

Legend Of Wonder Woman 3

Legion Of Super-Heroes 24

Marvel Fanfare 27

Marvel Saga 8

The Mighty Thor 369

The New Mutants 41

New Teen Titans 22

Outsiders 9

Power Man And Iron Fist 124

Power Pack 24

Roots Of The Swamp Thing 1

Savage Sword Of Conan 126

Solomon Kane 6

Son Of Ambush Bug 1

Spectacular Spider-Man 116

Squadron Supreme 11

Star Wars 106

Superman 421

Swamp Thing 50

Uncanny X-Men 207

V 18

Vigilante 31

Vision And The Scarlet Witch 10

Warlord 107

Web Of Spider-Man 16

West Coast Avengers 10

X-Factor 6

I already have the X-Men and Hulk books. I have no idea if any of the other books are any good although I know the Daredevil one is part of the acclaimed Born Again storyline. What do you guys think? Any good ones here?

Jim

(shrug)

Jim

Is that anything like a riddle wrapped in an enigma?

As some of you know, I have become quite discouraged by the hobby in the past years. I have moved over to buying Original Art, but that has its challenges as well. Recently I started think "what would make comics fun for me?".

Hope you can find a way to keep comics fun on some level, cause they are worth it.

:hi:

This is a nice idea. I'm thinking of collecting all the DC and Marvel books from when I was born (July 1986). Here is what I would be looking for:

'Mazing Man 17

[...]

X-Factor 6

I already have the X-Men and Hulk books. I have no idea if any of the other books are any good although I know the Daredevil one is part of the acclaimed Born Again storyline. What do you guys think? Any good ones here?

I always liked 'Mazing Man. And Legend of Wonder Woman was great, with Trina Robbins art and early Kurt Busiek writing.

Roots of the Swamp Thing is reprints of Bernie Wrightson art. A total winner! And I loved Ambush Bug as a kid.

Buy every Marvel comic that came out in 1976. Now I still have a lot of what I bought back then, but I grew up in a small farming community in Indiana and the onl place to buy comics was Osgood, IN about 18 miles away so I onl bought stuff when my mom would drive me over to the drugstore in Osgood. Most of the time, my favorite titles we sold out but I always picked up something. Becuase of this, my stuff from then is pretty spotty.

That's a fun idea and goal.

I've always thought it would be cool to set up a "drug store" area in a corner of room. You could put in some stylish "literature rack" and surround it with visuals from 1976. That way you could rotate out your "stock" from time to time, all for your personal reading pleasure.

An hour or so of being "the druggist", then you could just enjoy being be "the kid" for weeks on end. :cloud9:

LDW24.jpg

Buy every Marvel comic that came out in 1976. Now I still have a lot of what I bought back then, but I grew up in a small farming community in Indiana and the onl place to buy comics was Osgood, IN about 18 miles away so I onl bought stuff when my mom would drive me over to the drugstore in Osgood. Most of the time, my favorite titles we sold out but I always picked up something. Becuase of this, my stuff from then is pretty spotty.

That's a fun idea and goal.

I've always thought it would be cool to set up a "drug store" area in a corner of room. You could put in some stylish "literature rack" and surround it with visuals from 1976. That way you could rotate out your "stock" from time to time, all for your personal reading pleasure.

An hour or so of being "the druggist", then you could just enjoy being be "the kid" for weeks on end. :cloud9:

LDW24.jpg

Hey Davenport i was thinking along the same lines. Just to add the finishing touch he could play songs all from 1976.