• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Spotlight #5 or Amazing Spider-man #129

31 posts in this topic

I remember the phenominal price leaps ASM 129 took shortly after the first Punisher mini-series was published. This book was on everyone's want list, and I mean EVERYONE.

I was lucky to pick up a NM copy at a local convention for $35 (guide was $25). The fella beside me saw the book I purchased, loved it, and started following me around the convention floor, trying to buy the book from me. After two hours, I finally relented and sold it to him for $100. That's how hot the book was back then.

I can't recall demand for Marvel Spotlight #5 coming remotely close to that of ASM #129, even when the 1990 re-launch of Ghost Rider was one of the hottest titles in the Marvel Universe, and the subsequent movie hype with Nicolas Cage several years later, and I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime.

Sure, there are more high grade copies of ASM 129 than MS 5, but keep in mind that ASM 129 is collected by Spidey fans & Punisher fans , whereas, MS 5 appeals only to Ghost Rider collectors.

It truly was amazing what Spidey #129 did in those few short years. In the late 80's, all anyone talked about was Silver Age High Grade...and Spidey #129. Reading market reports at the time was like reading one long advert for Spidey #129.

The only thing that came close to knocking off Spidey #129's popularity at the top of the comic world was Death in the Family.

Both Spidey #129 and Bats #428 did what no other comics have ever done, before or since.

It was nutso.

Those were great days :cloud9: before it all collapsed in on itself.

I picked up 129 for £3 ($5) when it worth about £95 ($140). My LCS owner had it sat in his boxes and forgot to increase the price when Punny became big.

I remember the phenominal price leaps ASM 129 took shortly after the first Punisher mini-series was published. This book was on everyone's want list, and I mean EVERYONE.

I was lucky to pick up a NM copy at a local convention for $35 (guide was $25). The fella beside me saw the book I purchased, loved it, and started following me around the convention floor, trying to buy the book from me. After two hours, I finally relented and sold it to him for $100. That's how hot the book was back then.

I can't recall demand for Marvel Spotlight #5 coming remotely close to that of ASM #129, even when the 1990 re-launch of Ghost Rider was one of the hottest titles in the Marvel Universe, and the subsequent movie hype with Nicolas Cage several years later, and I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime.

Sure, there are more high grade copies of ASM 129 than MS 5, but keep in mind that ASM 129 is collected by Spidey fans & Punisher fans , whereas, MS 5 appeals only to Ghost Rider collectors.

It truly was amazing what Spidey #129 did in those few short years. In the late 80's, all anyone talked about was Silver Age High Grade...and Spidey #129. Reading market reports at the time was like reading one long advert for Spidey #129.

The only thing that came close to knocking off Spidey #129's popularity at the top of the comic world was Death in the Family.

Both Spidey #129 and Bats #428 did what no other comics have ever done, before or since.

It was nutso.

Those were great days :cloud9: before it all collapsed in on itself.

I picked up 129 for £3 ($5) when it worth about £95 ($140). My LCS owner had it sat in his boxes and forgot to increase the price when Punny became big.

wow!

Yes, I remember those days vividly. The annual Overstreet couldn't keep up with the changes in the marketplace and that's when they published the bi-monthly Overstreet Price Bulletins (later dubbed the Overstreet Price Update).

And you're right, all of the dealer reports mentioned ASM #129!

and that's when they published the bi-monthly Overstreet Price Bulletins (later dubbed the Overstreet Price Update).

For years and years and years....well over a decade....I looked in vain for a copy of Price Bulletin #1 (1982). I had #2-up, but could not for the life of me find a #1.

I finally found one on ebay for $25 or so, so I bought it...this was in maybe 2002-03.

Then, about I dunno, 2-3 years ago, Mile High unloads this stash of 'em, in all grades.

doh!

I bought one in VF for $1.31 or so, I think.

lol

Yes, I remember those days vividly. The annual Overstreet couldn't keep up with the changes in the marketplace and that's when they published the bi-monthly Overstreet Price Bulletins (later dubbed the Overstreet Price Update).

And you're right, all of the dealer reports mentioned ASM #129!

I could not wait for those updates to come out back then. That and CVM fueled the market. I grew up in Indianapolis and there were a lot of comics shops in town. The batman boom caused a couple more to pop up in affluent areas. It was easy to stay on top of hot books, track them down for 5-years-ago Overstreet prices at some of the older more SA/GA-centric stores and sell them up North for the "hot" prices. I lived off my Hulk #330 flip money for a long time. :cloud9:

True story....the 1990 OPG lists Marvel Spotlight #5 for $8 in "N-Mint"...

----------

I paid $2 in 1997/98 or thereabouts for a 5.0 type copy. I timed the sale of it perfectly for the movie hype.

But even better I paid about $2 each for a set of relatively high grade (9.0 - 9.2, maybe one 9.4) copies of #6 up from Kochcom when he'd sell them as sets and that was in like 2002 or 2003. Those were good for $25-40 a pop depending on the issue when the movie hit.

Unfortunately, my adventures into buying loads of copies of "once hot BA books that went into the terlet" like those Son of Satan spotlights, those 70's Deathlooks, Morbius Adventure into Fears and MCP Guardians of the Galaxy books have not panned out.

With that said, today I picked up my very first copy of ASM 129 for $20! Oh sure, it's a VG on the outside and has one panel of a story page (advertising on the back) torn off (not an action page mind you, just some banter between peter and MJ) and normally i stay away from anything with an interior piece missing, but i figured what the heck, $20....I just couldn't bring myself to try to haggle the shop owner down to $15 because I'm pretty sure he could have gotten $30-$40 pretty quickly with his clientelle even with the piece out.

they just got in a nice stack of late SA ASMs too in nice shape, but those are no doubt going to be priced up too rich for my blood. he tends to price VGs at OPG Good, which on the right book I'm cool with, but on the VFs will only knock 10-15% off from guide, which makes those mid/late 60's Spideys just too much for me.

Can't believe there's even any discussion on this one...ASM #129 is the better book (from a monetary standpoint).

Unless you're a Ghost Rider fanboy, ASM #129 is "the way to go" (credited to ablue who, despite our internet beatdown, was way ahead of his time).

I hate to say it, but ablue was right. :tonofbricks: