• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Comics #1 vs. Amazing Fantasy 15

Cap vs Spidey  

420 members have voted

1. 1. Cap vs Spidey

62 posts in this topic

Cap 1 buy a Looooong shot!

And to answer the other part I would use the leftover money to buy an FF1, Tec 168, and a low grade Hulk 1.

I like that plan (thumbs u

Yea but given the cash only I would blow it on a Bats 1, and a handful of other grails and keys. I could add some serious books to my collection.

Or I could buy the first spider-man ...........

:screwy:

I extrapolated the affordability clause to easily afford and picked Cap #1 - because if I had that sort of money - I'd probably go for a Cap run.

AF 15 may be more historically important today. but I don't get the same thrill from SA keys.

I am surprised at the desire of AF 15. I think that Cap 1 has more more historical significance, with the foreshadowing of the US entry in WW II, the classic cover, and the introduction of the lead character. Plus, it is rare compared to AF 15. There are well over 100 copies of AF 15 graded 6.0 or higher in the CGC registry, while only 14 copies of Cap #1 grade that high.

A CGC 4.0 Cap 1 would probably sell for around $15k, while a 4.0 AF 15 would sells for less than half that. They are probably even around a grade of 6.5 - 7.0 where equal grades of the two books demand approximately the same price, and then AF 15 jumps. I think that is indicative of the investment/speculation for the books- that there is more risk in buying a high grade AF 15 than a high grade Cap 1. Of course, there is the potential for greater gain on investment as well.

I would get the Cap 1, without a question!

I am surprised at the desire of AF 15. I think that Cap 1 has more more historical significance, with the foreshadowing of the US entry in WW II, the classic cover, and the introduction of the lead character. Plus, it is rare compared to AF 15. There are well over 100 copies of AF 15 graded 6.0 or higher in the CGC registry, while only 14 copies of Cap #1 grade that high.

A CGC 4.0 Cap 1 would probably sell for around $15k, while a 4.0 AF 15 would sells for less than half that. They are probably even around a grade of 6.5 - 7.0 where equal grades of the two books demand approximately the same price, and then AF 15 jumps. I think that is indicative of the investment/speculation for the books- that there is more risk in buying a high grade AF 15 than a high grade Cap 1. Of course, there is the potential for greater gain on investment as well.

I would get the Cap 1, without a question!

a real nice looking cgc 4.0 cap 1 would probably push more like 17,500 right now (a 4.5 just sold on clink for 18999)...

a 4.0 af15 probably about $5-6 K, so I would say about 1/3 in same grade (thumbs u

I voted other. The only books I could see approaching 6 figures on would be Action 1, Tec 27 or Pep 22 2c

You had me with you up until Pep 22.... :baiting:

lol

I figured that would be seen as a pretty idiosyncratic choice. But for me, I would consider it for a HG pedigree copy...

It's ok, I totally agree with you on the Pep 22!

In the poll, I picked CA1. I don't really hold AF15 that high in regard since, IMO, they aren't that hard to find. (Maybe in that grade, yes. But I'm not a grade chaser!)

I went with AF #15. Cap #1 is a cool book, but it really is a second tier GA key (the top tier has 3 books IMHO - Action #1, Tec #27 and MC #1). I think a fairer poll would be MC #1 in 8.5 vs. AF #15, since these are probably the two most important Marvel/Timely/Atlas books.

Ryan there was a discussion a while back. There are a few (maybe even quite a few) who think Cap #1 should be a bigger key than Marvel #1. I disagree but I do understand their reasoning.

cap 1 is a bigger book in terms of character introduction.... marvel 1 is a bigger book in terms of importance (first for timely/marvel)... so, you can have your cake and eat it too!

cap 1 is a bigger book in terms of character introduction.... marvel 1 is a bigger book in terms of importance (first for timely/marvel)... so, you can have your cake and eat it too!

(thumbs u

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly has them both beat. :baiting:

:acclaim:

....I love Spidey, but Cap 1 is a MUCH better read. Unless something radical changes in my life, I'll never own either. I do, however , own 2 reprints of Cap 1 and no reprints of AF 15. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:headbang:

:cry:

Ryan there was a discussion a while back. There are a few (maybe even quite a few) who think Cap #1 should be a bigger key than Marvel #1. I disagree but I do understand their reasoning.

I believe I was the one who opened up that can of worms as well! lol

While I still think that Cap #1 is a bigger key, I am willing to acquiesce to the majority and consider MC #1 as the main Timely GA key. (thumbs u

However, I still think that AF #15 is the most significant Marvel/Timely/Atlas book and over time will be the one that is up there with Action #1 and Tec #27 in collectors' eyes. :sumo:

AF15 might be recognized by "non" comic collectors in the same breath....but no way will it ever be "side by side" with Tec 27 or Action 1 within the learned comic book collecting community...still comparing apples to oranges IMO (thumbs u

....I love Spidey, but Cap 1 is a MUCH better read. Unless something radical changes in my life, I'll never own either. I do, however , own 2 reprints of Cap 1 and no reprints of AF 15. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

and a Pep 23 (I was so close...)