• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[s]completely and utterly depressed[/s] -- getting over it =)

12 posts in this topic

Sorry to be a downer, but I need to vent. :sorry:

Does anyone know who bought or sold these books this last Sunday on Heritage? The buyer got a hell of a good deal.. not so good a deal for the seller.

If you know me at all by know, you know that Popeye comics are my main focus (I've loved Popeye since I saw the cartoons when I was a kid). I was blown away when I saw these file copies posted for sale last week. Needless to say, I wanted them for my collection.. but money is tight right now, so I showed restraint and didn't bid on a single one. I figured they would hit $100 each at least.. but most sold for much less than that.

My feelings on this run hot and cold.. On one hand, I couldn't believe it! These books are classic and absolutely gorgeous, yet they are selling for less than some 9.6 slabbed modern drek. What's wrong with people?! :frustrated:

On the other hand.. WOW! What great prices! I really wish I had enough dough to drop some bids. What a terrible time to have a lack of funds. :cry:

popeyes_sold.jpg

This is why you need to remember home lenders are willing to work with you when you miss a payment nowadays.

Those are some great prices for beautiful books. 50-year-old 9.8s for $100 and 9.6s for $55 is hard to fathom whatever the book.

This phenomenon is not unique to Popeye. Some of the duck and other funny animal books have been selling for prices a fraction of those from a couple of years ago as well.

A couple of dozen gorgoeus old Dells can sell for the price of a mediocre copy of a silver age key. Supply and demand I guess. But it beats the hell out of me.

Yes, I noticed the Dell File Copies took a beating! :tonofbricks: I didn't win anything either, but wish I had the extra funds to bid. These books seem dead right now. A few yrs ago, they were selling briskly (at or over guide).

It's tough to miss such a nice window of opportunity, but only have so much to go around! :frustrated:

There are just too many File Copies for these (sorry...) unpopular books to maintain decent prices. I'm a big Nancy fan and I've watched the sales prices continue to fall as more File Copies come on the market.

The upside is that it's likely that those Popeyes (or identical copies) will reappear on the market and sell for even less.

There are just too many File Copies for these (sorry...) unpopular books to maintain decent prices. I'm a big Nancy fan and I've watched the sales prices continue to fall as more File Copies come on the market.

The upside is that it's likely that those Popeyes (or identical copies) will reappear on the market and sell for even less.

That's a good upside. Hopefully they do come back to market again. Part of the frustration is thinking that I may have missed my only shot to grab these books.

Anyone know how many multiples of these file copies are floating around? Metro has some for sale, so that's at least two copies of each.

I bought probably 50 file copies from Geppi s in the late 1980s.

If I remember right, their catalog used to say 10-30 of each was the norm.

Unlike later random house, I remember the runs being fairly complete. I rember buying Jetsons 24-36, Scooby 11-20 (@$4each), 21-30@$2 each.)

There were Harvey file copies too.

I think we are seeing the left overs now.

I wouldn't feel bad, I would be happy. I think you are going to be able to get a deal on some of these again. I picked up some Harvey Sad Sack file copies on Heritage for about $40. each a few months ago.

Just be glad supply exceeds demand in your collecting focus, most of us dream this was the case.

I bought probably 50 file copies from Geppi s in the late 1980s.

If I remember right, their catalog used to say 10-30 of each was the norm.

Unlike later random house, I remember the runs being fairly complete. I rember buying Jetsons 24-36, Scooby 11-20 (@$4each), 21-30@$2 each.)

There were Harvey file copies too.

I think we are seeing the left overs now.

10-30 of each? Amazing. I was expecting to hear 2-3 at most. So there are out there, then.. just have to be patient and they will pop up again.

I wouldn't feel bad, I would be happy. I think you are going to be able to get a deal on some of these again. I picked up some Harvey Sad Sack file copies on Heritage for about $40. each a few months ago.

Just be glad supply exceeds demand in your collecting focus, most of us dream this was the case.

Tell that to the dealers at cons that are still going by the OSPG. :baiting:lol