• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

All great guesses.

All wrong.

I need closure. Or more info. I haven't decided.

Think Martial Arts.

I've said too much.

nunchucks, BO staff, hm ?

This is closer, but he wouldn't need to start with such a huge piece of wood.

I'm going to guess that is the first time I have ever typed that sentence.

1. 72 hour later lawlz.

2. My counselor has freedom to reply for me, as noted above.

All great guesses.

All wrong.

Think Martial Arts.

I've said too much.

Wooden dummy. Which art do you practice?

Specifically, a Wing Chun dummy.

I trained in/taught Tae-Kwon-Do, but Wing Chun interests me immensely.

All great guesses.

All wrong.

Think Martial Arts.

I've said too much.

:banana:

All great guesses.

All wrong.

Think Martial Arts.

I've said too much.

Very cool. I practiced Wing Chun for about 10 years before life got in the way. How long have you been doing it?

I don't know where else to post this. Perhaps it isn't OT. Let's say it's an apology for a buncha of middle age, educated, professional men spending their days making pp jokes.

:)

Excerpt from Atlantic article

I was introduced to Lincoln at Freeport, and met him frequently afterwards in the course of the campaign. I must say frankly that, although I found him most approachable, good-natured, and full of wit and humor, I could not take a real personal liking to the man, owing to an inborn weakness for which he was even then notorious and so remained during his great public career. He was inordinately fond of jokes, anecdotes, and stories. He loved to hear them, and still more to tell them himself out of the inexhaustible supply provided by his good memory and his fertile fancy. There would have been no harm in this but for the fact that, the coarser the joke, the lower the anecdote, and the more risky the story, the more he enjoyed them, especially when they were of his own invention. He possessed, moreover, a singular ingenuity in bringing about occasions in conversation for indulgences of this kind. I have to confess, too, that aside from the prejudice against him which I felt on this account, I shared the belief of a good many independent thinkers at the time, including prominent leaders of the party, that, with regard to separating more effectively the anti-slavery Northern from the pro-slavery Southern wing of the Democracy, it would have been better if the reëlection of Douglas had not been opposed.

I am sorry to state that he often allowed himself altogether too much license in the concoction of the stories. He seemed to be bent upon making his hit by fair means or foul. In other words, he never hesitated to tell a coarse or even outright nasty story, if it served his purpose. All his personal friends could bear testimony on this point. It was a notorious fact that this fondness for low talk clung to him even in the White House. More than once I heard him “with malice aforethought” get off purposely some repulsive fiction in order to rid himself of an uncomfortable caller. Again and again I felt disgust and humiliation that such a person should have been called upon to direct the destinies of a great nation in the direst period of its history. Yet his achievements during the next few years proved him to be one of the great leaders of mankind in adversity, in whom low leanings only set off more strikingly his better qualities …

hrm.

All great guesses.

All wrong.

Think Martial Arts.

I've said too much.

Very cool. I practiced Wing Chun for about 10 years before life got in the way. How long have you been doing it?

I said it "interests me". As in, not a practitioner. As in, am enamored with the style and want to work out with a dummy.