• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Badger Appreciation Thread

13 posts in this topic

I realize I might take some heat for this. I love The Badger. There I said it.

Now all you Badger fans can come out and join me.

The very first comic I ever had signed back at the 84 or 85 SDCC.

Badger #1 :cloud9: One of the few comics I have the entire run on.

DSC01110.jpg

One of my faves as well! Sadly, as Stronguy notes, it really got repetitive after the first 20 or so issues. Kinda lost its freshness. Same thing happened to a lot of the creator-owned indies that came up around the same time...the creators ran of of things to say.

Most of them (AMERICAN FLAGG comes to mind) would have been better off as a finite series, with a planned beginning, middle, and end.

One guy who got it right was Matt Wagner with MAGE and GRENDEL.

The Badger is one of my Favorite Comic books of all time!

I own every Badger Comic published and a fair number of OA Pages.

Still looking for a Cover though... Hope to own a Reinhold cover someday.

Super Grail for me is one of the Ploog Covers to Badger 33 34 35 or 36 ( I have located the 35, but it is out of my price range atm)

A big Badger Fan! I have the complete run(s)!

I have to agree with Cimm that First Comics were putting out amazing stuff. That would be a really fun Company to go back and collect. I loved Independent Comics in the eighties.

I have to disagree somewhat with Stonguy. Yes, the quality declined, but something interesting happened along the way. Mike Baron learned to respect and how to treat mental instability with maturity and empathy. In those earliest issues, the Badger was just a cray loon, and the reader was along for the ride, but it's clear when reading thru the run in one fell swoop, (I did this about six months ago, give or take) that due to some constructive criticism from mental health professionals in his letters collumn, and just beginning to understand schitzophrenia better, that Baron actually decided to make the Badger a tragic, misunderstood hero. I really like seeing what Baron did with the character and the illness over the run.

My first issue was #2. Whew, that was a weird comic for a country boy from MS with no cable. lol

I have to agree with Cimm that First Comics were putting out amazing stuff. That would be a really fun Company to go back and collect. I loved Independent Comics in the eighties.

I have to disagree somewhat with Stonguy. Yes, the quality declined, but something interesting happened along the way. Mike Baron learned to respect and how to treat mental instability with maturity and empathy. In those earliest issues, the Badger was just a cray loon, and the reader was along for the ride, but it's clear when reading thru the run in one fell swoop, (I did this about six months ago, give or take) that due to some constructive criticism from mental health professionals in his letters collumn, and just beginning to understand schitzophrenia better, that Baron actually decided to make the Badger a tragic, misunderstood hero. I really like seeing what Baron did with the character and the illness over the run.

Interesting. Someday, I'll read that run again. Maybe I'll better appreciate the effort Baron took to treat mental illness more seriously.

Like you, I have the entire run. And I mean the ENTIRE run, from Capital to First to Dark Horse to Image to IDW. Hey, I'm nothing if not loyal! :insane: Sadly, the later iterations, especially the Image minis, were virtually unreadable. Bad writing, bad art...just a shame.

But the early stuff, in its 80's prime? Gold. Don't know if we'll ever have a period like that again, when so many creators were firing on all cylinders with their own creations. Great time to collect, and a period I hope will be rediscovered by new comics fans in the future.

I know Badger went over to First Comics, but he started with Capital Comics, which was the kickoff for Nexus, Badger, and Whisper.

:cloud9:

I'd never sell my early Badger books, I enjoyed them so much.

Of course, you are right, Nick. I even have that book displayed on my wall at the moment. doh!

I really liked Whisper, too.

1980's Independents were awesome. There's a couple of companies, First, Capitol, Eclipse, Blackthorne, NOW, and a few others, that I'd love to collect all of the titles. That would be a fun side project.

Interesting. Someday, I'll read that run again. Maybe I'll better appreciate the effort Baron took to treat mental illness more seriously.

Like you, I have the entire run. And I mean the ENTIRE run, from Capital to First to Dark Horse to Image to IDW. Hey, I'm nothing if not loyal! :insane: Sadly, the later iterations, especially the Image minis, were virtually unreadable. Bad writing, bad art...just a shame.

But the early stuff, in its 80's prime? Gold. Don't know if we'll ever have a period like that again, when so many creators were firing on all cylinders with their own creations. Great time to collect, and a period I hope will be rediscovered by new comics fans in the future.

(thumbs u

Nuttin wrong with Norbert, uh Badger! I was flipping through them the other day and really the only thing that kept me from reading the run again was I realized just how, uh, not so great the art was getting towards the end.

Besides, if it wasn't for Badger, I may not have found Nexus, one of my favorite titles of all time! "Badger is in three issues of a book called what? Nexus?? What's that? ..... "

I want a taco.