• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADAM HUGHES commission prices have gone up!

66 posts in this topic

Allison is quite clear on their web site that if you have a dealer badge you will not be getting a sketch.

From the web site:

http://www.justsayah.com/pages/AHpg11.html

Will a dealers badge increase my chances of getting a sketch?

NO. In fact, if you have a dealers badge, you will be banned from the sketch list. If you are seen at the table, or lurking the hall before any show opening, you will be denied a sketch. I know it sounds harsh and unfair, however we have been forced to make the decision by countless people abusing the dealer badge thing. If you are upset; take it out on them.

Exactly. That's because the same people, with the same connections would be at the table show after show. I remember at WonderCon several years ago (back when he charged $50) there were at least 25 people in line before the doors opened. Eventually this just turned into the same folks showing up, getting on the list and flipping them... sometimes at the same show.

If they pick random names, it shouldn't matter who has a badge or not. Supposedly everyone gets on the list in the first 10 minutes, which eliminates 90% of the regular crowd anyway as they are waiting to get in.

If they pick random names, it shouldn't matter who has a badge or not. Supposedly everyone gets on the list in the first 10 minutes, which eliminates 90% of the regular crowd anyway as they are waiting to get in.

Actually it still matters. If there are 50 people with dealer passes standing at the table when the doors open that's 50 "fans" that don't even get a shot. They usually only take about 50 names or so. That takes about 10 minutes to get everything sorted out and then Adam starts picking stuff at "random" from there.

To look through this lists that Felix and Royd provided is enough to make me puke.gif

First of all, it is such a gamble to pay for a sketch at a show, then to look at it and think "I wouldn't pay $XXX dollars for this !" - I've seen some terrific artists really blow it when it comes to convention sketches. While there is probably a list of reasons, I think it's hit or miss alot of the times.

Another thing, I can't for the life of me understand this (worship) for Adam Hughes !.....I think the most overrated artist in comics !......While it is true I did have a WW done by him, that was pretty well done for something that took him about 30 mins to draw and for a hundred bucks, I felt it was worth it....Then I sold it for almost $900 !....Incredible !!......Would I have paid that amount ?.....Not unless it was Picasso sketching it out for me....

I know there are tons of people who really liks AH's style, people that I like personally, so I can't say people are :screwy: for liking his stuff....I am just saying, for me, it's all smoke and mirrors....

I'm a fan of Adam's work and I have several sketches. I got three directly from him by being on line at cons and one from him because someone returned one and I was in the right place at the right time. Every other Adam Hughes sketch I have I got from other collectors.

I have no problem with the new price and I look forward to the next chance I get to buy one. I haven't gotten a sketch by waiting on line for about 5 years so hopefully the next chance will pay off. While I understand that taking a chance paying that much for a sketch is a gamble, I have no worries when I leave things in Adam's capable hands. Besides, if the truly unlikely happens and he draws something I don't want, I'm not obligated to buy it. That's his policy. Still though, I can't imagine him having that bad a day. He's such a big critic of his own work that I think he would just tell me straight out he wasn't happy with it and he'd try to get to me next time.

Now, all that being said, I do believe SOME of the "fans" out there that really can't afford it or don't really appreciate the art but are caught up in the adulation that comes from the AH! fans when a new sketch comes out. Just look at the hits AH! sketches get on CAF, for some reason that's important to people. These are the ones that wind up selling the sketches a few months later. This isn't exclusive to AH! fans though. I guarantee there are a lot of people in the hobby in general that are only in it because of the excitement and the praise they get from other collectors. I enjoy sharing the art I like and collect but I get more of a thrill from showing people art from artists they are unfamiliar with or genres they never thought much of and seeing these guys discover there's something out there to appreciate besides nostalgia and CAF hits.

Well, I'd be in the opposite camp. I think Adam is one of the best artists out there currently. You may not like his style but there is no mistaking that he is amazingly talented and he consistently turns out great convention sketches. I would not be surprised to see Adam's popularity continue indefinitely and to be judged as one of the true greats in comics' history. To each his own.

I don't see Adam Hughes appeal. I'm not into cheesecake artwork..why blow 5k10k on an Adam Hughes when I can put that same $$ towards a Dave Stevens or a Bolland WW? I don't see any "realism" in his art of women,However,I do see that in independant artist Terry Moore. I don't know where this "Allison was great, she told me I was next on the list" attitude is coming from either, I see that description on CAF with the Harley Quinn sketch and it makes me wanna buy one of these...

44magnum-1.jpg

I didn't think the HQ sketch is that good really...I don't like how she is taking off her mask,If I met HQ in person I'd make her wear it.

I don't know where this "Allison was great, she told me I was next on the list" attitude is coming from either,

Coming from personal experience, when you try and try and try to get a convention sketch from one of your favorites (be it AH, or Bolland, or Tim Sale, or J Scott Campbell or any of dozen(s) other sought after artists) and the moment comes that you are actually going to get it after waiting for years, in some cases, you are VERY grateful that you are "next on the list" and that someone took the time to let you know that.

For several artists there are no shortage of people who want sketches from them. I have seen this first hand handling Bolland's sketch list. There are people who have been on the were on the list in New York in 2007, Toronto in 2008 and then New York again in 2009 and finally got their sketch this time after 3 years on the list. They were thrilled, happy, relieved and pleased when someone told them they were "next on the list".

There are lots of reasons to appreciate an artist and their work. They are all different, they all bring their own gifts to the table. You are going to be hard pressed to find a bigger Bolland fan than me. His stuff is precise and detailed and as sharp as a razor. However I am also a fan of Tim Sale, Adam Hughes, Dave Stevens, and Mike Mignola. There is very little photographic realism to their figural artwork. No one would mistake their work for the lightboxed SI Swimsuit issue artists. They aren't drawing an exact imitation of life, they are drawing an artistic impression of life. The best artists can make the obviously unreal to seem "alive". Beautiful women have been the subject of artistic expression since they were drawing on cave walls. That's not a shocker. It's the artists who can breath life into obviously unreal subjects that are special.

Because, really, if I wanted to look at women who were "real" I could do well with a subscription to FHM, Maxim, or Trailer Park Floozies Monthly ( a specialty publication) but if I respect and admire an artist's work I want to see what life looks like through their eyes.

Getting back to Adam specifically, if you take the time to look at his work, if you get past the double d's and look at the composition, the humor, the technique, and ESPECIALLY the mixture of fine art influences in his pieces, then his wide appeal will make more sense.

There's room in the world for folks to appreciate artists of all styles I guess.

Getting back to Adam specifically, if you take the time to look at his work, if you get past the double d's and look at the composition, the humor, the technique, and ESPECIALLY the mixture of fine art influences in his pieces, then his wide appeal will make more sense.

I have, I still don't like it. Not a fan of magic markers as a medium to work in really. The art has to strike me visually to like it. His personal style just doesn't appeal to me,not that i'm going to bad mouth anyone who does like his stuff,not everyone likes the same artist,not everyone thinks megan fox is hot either.I'm not saying Adam Hughes's stuff isn't well done,I'm just saying that it's not for me and I can't understand why people rush to the front of the line at a con when much better art is avalible.

I like stylized art. For me it definitely doesn't have to be realistic. I just think Hughes has some glaring flaws. He seems to have trouble with eyes. They always seem off to me. This piece on Albert Moy's site is a good example (http://albertmoy.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4764&ArtistId=410&Details=0&From=Room). And I really hope whoever owns this piece isn't on this message board.

Also, consistency seems to be a problem. Legs and arms seem to get larger and smaller from panel to panel. It just seems weird to me. I can accept that people LOVE his work. I am just not one of them. But it's not like he needs me. He's doing well enough as is! lol

I like stylized art. For me it definitely doesn't have to be realistic. I just think Hughes has some glaring flaws. He seems to have trouble with eyes. They always seem off to me. This piece on Albert Moy's site is a good example (http://albertmoy.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4764&ArtistId=410&Details=0&From=Room). And I really hope whoever owns this piece isn't on this message board.

I suppose you can find a piece by any artist that isn't their best, isn't their A-list work. I could probably put up scans of a couple dozen covers that blow that old WW piece away, but it's obvious that no artist has created 100% perfect pieces.

This piece looks like it was done about 10 years ago if I had to guess. It doesn't bear a resemblance to any of his work on Catwoman where it looks like he figured out the eyes pretty well.

Also, consistency seems to be a problem. Legs and arms seem to get larger and smaller from panel to panel. It just seems weird to me. I can accept that people LOVE his work. I am just not one of them. But it's not like he needs me. He's doing well enough as is! lol

I don't want to belabor the point, but what panel to panel work are you referring to? Adam hasn't done sequential work (panel to panel) work in quite some time. He did a 2 page Wonder-Woman origin story in 52, but beyond that you have to go back to Gen 13 Ordinary Heroes I think for panel to panel comparisons. Everything else has been cover work. I don't know where to look to see something from the last 5 years to do panel to panel comparisons of anatomy. (shrug)

I wish I could work a set of "magic markers" ( a joke, I know a $200 set of Copic artists markers are anything but sharpies) as well as he does. If I could use pencils, pens, and copic markers to create the look of cloth, leather, latex, flesh and skin like that I probably would never put them down.

I can see how he is not for everyone one. It's easy to miss the depth at a cursory glance. I dunno, it's easy to dismiss his work as cheesecake until you see the process (there's a great itunes podcast showing a sketch from start to finish) or look at the Rockwell, and Mucha original work that has obviously influenced him.

Aw heck. I was just agreeing with others! How do I let myself get involved in this stuff??? lol

I suppose you can find a piece by any artist that isn't their best, isn't their A-list work. I could probably put up scans of a couple dozen covers that blow that old WW piece away, but it's obvious that no artist has created 100% perfect pieces.

True. I could even show you a few that I like too. I would just think that for a T-shirt, he would have made sure it was "A-list".

a resemblance to any of his work on Catwoman where it looks like he figured out the eyes pretty well.

Yes, and I think that Catwoman piece is some of his best work I have seen. The eyes are pretty good and the body seems well proportioned and the background is great... even with the crooked mask. ha ha But seriously, it IS good. Just blows my mind that it is $12,000 good.

I don't want to belabor the point, but what panel to panel work are you referring to? Adam hasn't done sequential work (panel to panel) work in quite some time. He did a 2 page Wonder-Woman origin story in 52, but beyond that you have to go back to Gen 13 Ordinary Heroes I think for panel to panel comparisons. Everything else has been cover work. I don't know where to look to see something from the last 5 years to do panel to panel comparisons of anatomy.

I remember some indy work he did but I think that was like in early 2000! You could go from cover to cover on his WW work to see some discrepancies as well but when the heck was that? 2000 too? I would concede that I am not a Adam Hughes student but that is because I am not a fan.

I can see how he is not for everyone one. It's easy to miss the depth at a cursory glance. I dunno, it's easy to dismiss his work as cheesecake until you see the process (there's a great itunes podcast showing a sketch from start to finish) or look at the Rockwell, and Mucha original work that has obviously influenced him.

I think people see depth where there may not be any. However, I am willing to check out the podcast too. Maybe I will see something and have a Hughes epiphany! Do you have a link?

I think people see depth where there may not be any. However, I am willing to check out the podcast too. Maybe I will see something and have a Hughes epiphany! Do you have a link?

I will try and dig up a link. Steve Coulson who's another fan and online poster filmed them and put them up online.

After speaking with Adam on the subject a few times over the years, about what influences him and excites him about artwork, I went and looked at those influences. It was the kind of stuff, that 99% of comic art fans might not have seen or gotten into: The Art Nouveau, Art Deco movements, artists like Mucha and Rockwell.

Once I looked at those art movements and artists it was like a light bulb went off in my head.

Best,

Chris

Allison is quite clear on their web site that if you have a dealer badge you will not be getting a sketch.

From the web site:

http://www.justsayah.com/pages/AHpg11.html

Will a dealers badge increase my chances of getting a sketch?

NO. In fact, if you have a dealers badge, you will be banned from the sketch list. If you are seen at the table, or lurking the hall before any show opening, you will be denied a sketch. I know it sounds harsh and unfair, however we have been forced to make the decision by countless people abusing the dealer badge thing. If you are upset; take it out on them.

Exactly. That's because the same people, with the same connections would be at the table show after show. I remember at WonderCon several years ago (back when he charged $50) there were at least 25 people in line before the doors opened. Eventually this just turned into the same folks showing up, getting on the list and flipping them... sometimes at the same show.

Allison has even taken this to the next level where she'll let someone with a dealer badge on the list but make sure they aren't chosen.

She's very vigilant about it as you know.

After speaking with Adam on the subject a few times over the years, about what influences him and excites him about artwork, I went and looked at those influences. It was the kind of stuff, that 99% of comic art fans might not have seen or gotten into: The Art Nouveau, Art Deco movements, artists like Mucha and Rockwell.

Once I looked at those art movements and artists it was like a light bulb went off in my head.

Best,

Chris

Don't forget C. Coles Phillips for this inspiration...

Hughes Playboy

Phillips fadeaway girls:

colesphillips-751729.jpg

cores%2Bphillp1.gif

Back in action after an unfortunate "incarceration" in hospital :) Just wanted to chime in and say that I have no quarrel with those who don't share the same appreciation that I (and others) have for Adam Hughes' work. Each to their own preferences *shrug*

I also agree that Adam doesn't necessarily hit every con sketch out of the ball-park. Time limitations, knowlege of and liking for the character, health etc. all contribute to the creation of such pieces and it can be a gamble. However, the majority of people who request sketches from Adam go home very satisfied indeed and I'd certainly "gamble" my money on such a sketch :)

I was interested to read some of the comments about people not "getting" Adam's work and likening it to "smoke and mirrors" :) Some may choose to discount the views of 7600 members of the AH! fan group as T&A fanboys (which would be wrong) but I think it's intriguing that so many of Adam's peers/contemporaries believe he is an incredibly talented creator including pencillers and colourists.

He has also been recognised on a number of occasions with Harvey, Eisner, Inkpot, Spectrum and other industry awards showing strong industry recognition of his talent. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Best,

Royd

Mod, Hughes-Fans Yahoo Group

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111