• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADAM HUGHES commission prices have gone up!

66 posts in this topic

Hey Brian,

Thanks for your well-wishes mate, much appreciated :) I'm not fully recovered as yet but hopefully the next week off work will help that happen. Warm regards,

Royd

Royd,

Glad to hear you are out of the hospital. Hope everything is good.

Hey Nelson,

Thanks for the kind thoughts and good wishes mate :) Not fully recovered yet but at least I'm back home!

As for selling off a body part to pay for my last purchase, I'd actually been watching a couple of ebay auctions before I was taken to hospital. I knew they were due to end while I was "incarcrated" and I was disappointed at not having been able to bid on them.

However, while visiting the hospital cafeteria after recovering from the migraines, I discovered a slow, stand-alone, $2 for 15 minutes, public internet machine!

I immediately put my bids on the two pieces (an unpublished, inked Joe Kubert cover for an unrealised DC book titled "Savage World" and an unpublished, inked double-page splash by Doug Wildey for the same book). I lost out on the Joe Kubert cover but won the Doug Wildey piece - woohoo!

You can't keep a determined collector down :) Best,

Royd

OT

Royd

Glad you are back in action.

I guess you had to sell a body part to pay for that last art purchase. :baiting:

I hope all is well and you have a speedy recovery.

Cheers!

N.

Good for him. He's the poster boy for the eBay flip. Like others have said, we're lucky as fans that he's still doing sketches at all. At Chicago this year, a lot of artists were doing lottery type drawings for sketches. Mike Choi, Tony Moore, Campbell, heck even David Petersen was doing a lottery. I have no problem with this. Everyone is on an even playing field then which is fair for all of us, not just dealers & VIP people.

Adam tries to set aside some time, an hour or two per day, during his convention appearances to draw head shots for a minimal charge, often for charity. I think $40 is the most recent price. You can see many examples on CAF. It's typically a profile shot with eyes closed. Find Adam or Allison's social media and keep up to date. They usually announce the schedule before the con.

My personal opinion on the Adam Hughes sketch situation (and would apply to all in-demand artists) is if there is less supply than demand, and an overwhelming demand at that, simply do an online dutch auction for the slots.

Sure, some folks may hum and haw about how unfair it is and that the "true fans" get penalized by those with deep pockets that can afford to pay or overpay to get what they want.

It's America and is Capitalism. For those who can't afford the price tag, figure out a way to eventually earn the revenue to make that purchase in the future.

Adam Hughes, and other artists deserve the rights to maximize their earning potential as well, so it should also never be proclaimed as greedy either.

It's more of a tragedy that the pricing is low enough for opportunistic folks, and again it's their legal right, so as much as these people are condemned as "flippers" they went through legal channels to make their investment to resell, and that investment may include the overhead expenses of going to a convention and/or also just the sheer time spent waiting and chasing these sketches to resell. A lot of these "flippers" rely upon this revenue as part of their livelihood and income to suppliment their mediocre paying full time jobs.

I believe it was Neal Adams who started pricing his sketches to match the market value that turned away former resellers from getting low priced sketches (including when he used to do 'em for free) to turn a profit on his labor of what was thought to be love.

And this "true fan" mumbo-jumbo is really defenseless in that if you are that proverbial "true fan" does not having a sketch change your perception of the artist or fandom and appreciation of their work?

A sketch is a privilege, not a right. It's a commodity that is earned.

It costs nothing to have a nice conversation with the artist, shake their hand, take a photo with them ('tho I know a lot of celebrities charge for photos which feels kind of slimy like paying for sex, and just feel wrong to basically be in a situation where the person is only taking a photo with you because you paid them money to do so, otherwise they'd really prefer to have nothing to do with you), , or get an autograph (so, aside from a handful of artists who charge for autographs - - most, like Adam Hughes signs for free). So, if you're a "true fan" you're getting enough of an experience that you can't be too bitter about not getting a sketch.

So, I would love to see the prices of sketches continue to rise higher and higher and afford the artists greater income. Many of these artists don't have employer matching 401k plans nor provided or even subsidized health insurance and are also often subject to contract work and aren't working continually enough to save up for rainy days. Then, the day they charge too much and nobody want's to buy, then then can adjust their prices. It's basic economics.

I had heard Adam had started doing convention pieces again, and it appears it is true. This is directly from his FB page prior to New York.

"I know it's late in the game for this post, but we were holding off in case we had better news. Unfortunately, with Adam's work schedule being so packed, he won't be able to do any of the $500 and $1,000 commissions for New York Comic Con. Additionally, right now it's looking like we may have to suspend our $40 head sketches, as he may be bringing work with him. We're trying to figure out a signing schedule now, and I'll post when I know what Adam will be able to fit in."

My personal opinion on the Adam Hughes sketch situation (and would apply to all in-demand artists) is if there is less supply than demand, and an overwhelming demand at that, simply do an online dutch auction for the slots.

Sure, some folks may hum and haw about how unfair it is and that the "true fans" get penalized by those with deep pockets that can afford to pay or overpay to get what they want.

It's America and is Capitalism. For those who can't afford the price tag, figure out a way to eventually earn the revenue to make that purchase in the future.

Adam Hughes, and other artists deserve the rights to maximize their earning potential as well, so it should also never be proclaimed as greedy either.

It's more of a tragedy that the pricing is low enough for opportunistic folks, and again it's their legal right, so as much as these people are condemned as "flippers" they went through legal channels to make their investment to resell, and that investment may include the overhead expenses of going to a convention and/or also just the sheer time spent waiting and chasing these sketches to resell. A lot of these "flippers" rely upon this revenue as part of their livelihood and income to suppliment their mediocre paying full time jobs.

lol

I had heard Adam had started doing convention pieces again, and it appears it is true. This is directly from his FB page prior to New York.

"I know it's late in the game for this post, but we were holding off in case we had better news. Unfortunately, with Adam's work schedule being so packed, he won't be able to do any of the $500 and $1,000 commissions for New York Comic Con. Additionally, right now it's looking like we may have to suspend our $40 head sketches, as he may be bringing work with him. We're trying to figure out a signing schedule now, and I'll post when I know what Adam will be able to fit in."

$500 to 1k commission is not too bad for a hughes piece IMO. Not a fan of those $40 head sketch/profile sketches. :sorry:

I love Adams stuff. They start at $1000ish(each of the ones below were well over 1k) and just go up from there. These are my last 3 from this year. I am hoping he finishes the 4th before X-Mas.

unnamed%204_zps6capnq4i.jpgHughes%20Magik_zpso7q9v2y4.pngKitty%20Pryde_zpsivdn9ggw.png

I love Adams stuff. They start at $1000ish(each of the ones below were well over 1k) and just go up from there. These are my last 3 from this year. I am hoping he finishes the 4th before X-Mas.

Do you just contact Adam (and his wife) through his facebook? When I was looking about 6 months back I thought I saw that Adam is to busy and doesn't take commissions usually. I saw the update in this thread of course.

I'd like to get something from Adam - I was thinking about buying some of the Betty Veronica stuff at NYCC this week but I just don't feel invested in the Archie-verse enough to drop a good amount of cash on it.

Do you just contact Adam (and his wife) through his facebook? When I was looking about 6 months back I thought I saw that Adam is to busy and doesn't take commissions usually. I saw the update in this thread of course.

I'd like to get something from Adam - I was thinking about buying some of the Betty Veronica stuff at NYCC this week but I just don't feel invested in the Archie-verse enough to drop a good amount of cash on it.

That's a good way. Adam and Allison handle ALL of their own sketches and artwork sales. So directly through them is the only way to go.

unnamed%204_zps6capnq4i.jpgHughes%20Magik_zpso7q9v2y4.pngKitty%20Pryde_zpsivdn9ggw.png

So envious of your Art! lol Great stuff

What is the price range for those Betty and Veronica pages?