• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got back from seeing District 9...

123 posts in this topic

The gamut of emotions that these movies run you through was painful.

The only emotion I felt watching The Wrestler was the screwing I took from paying ten bucks for a copy of it, knowing I'll never watch it again.

I'm with you, a fellow co-worker let me borrow The Wrestler on DVD...man did that movie suck. I found myself just forwarding to the Tomei parts.

The only emotion I felt watching The Wrestler was the screwing I took from paying ten bucks for a copy of it, knowing I'll never watch it again.

I'm with you, a fellow co-worker let me borrow The Wrestler on DVD...man did that movie suck. I found myself just forwarding to the Tomei parts.

You guys are nuts. What was wrong with the wrestler?

Mickey Rourke is a great actor.

haha, I enjoyed The Wrestler. I don't even like wrestling, the fact it was about wrestling sort didn't even enter my mind at times, I saw it as more of a diary of Rourke, he made it so personal.

People need to learn the difference between,

"A" sucks and is no good.

and

"A" isn't my cup of tea, but I can appreciate it asthetically.

A- your post sucks and is no good.

:baiting:

:acclaim:

I've not seen Gran Torrino yet. I like Eastwood, so I'm sure it's good.

However, I got suckered into watching The Wrestler which was the biggest piece of I've ever suffered through.

The only redeeming quality was getting to see Marisa Tomei in the raw. She still looks good. :luhv:

The Wrestler too was awesome.

Neither District 9 nor the Wrester were "polished" Hollywood movies which might limit their appeal. They were gut wrenching and difficult to watch. Maybe that is why people are so divided. The gamut of emotions that these movies run you through was painful.

I enjoyed "The Wrestler" but I HATED "District 9". (I've stated this a few times around these parts and for this repetition I apologize.) D9 had some terrific special effects, but the plot and the ham-fisted allegory were just painfully lame. It was like the lead-up/prequel to some alternate-reality Apartheid "revenge" film.

I sort of liked the main actor (I heard this was his first major film) :banana:

And with his acting skills, I hope it's his last.

you have selected the crack option...

Surely you cant believe that there will not be a sequel. And that sequel will be starring Sharlto Copley.

Also, Copely is slated to play Murdock in the A-Team adaptation...

It's a character study, thus it had no central plot and thus it was difficult to engage. If you want to talk about a polarizing film, I think everyone should go rent "Let The Right One In". It's a Swedish vampire movie.

It's... disturbing.

MY FAVORITE POSTS OF THE DAY!!!111!

and

It is amazing that anyone who has dropped $10 believes they have purchased a license to become a film critic!

It's... disturbing.

On D9-

I saw it and was ambivalent about the first third of it. I grew in love with it the more I watched it. By the end, I thought it was pretty special.

The first third of the movie is, (using Hollywood suitspeak) "The Office Meets Alien Nation". And I liked it but wasn't ready for it. (this movie was completely misrepresented in the promos. Imagine that.) I thought the acting of the lead actor was incredible. So ordinary. So comical. So ironic. And the further the movie went, the more depth he brought to the role. (or was allowed by the -script to bring to the role) It felt like watching a poorly made documentary and I enjoyed it. And just about the time I was getting bored, the director gave us a second, completely different act.

The second third of the movie was a political drama and a man versus/ drama. Between the beaurocrat becoming an other, and the loss of self tension, between the action of the military and government using and abusing him, the loss of his family, identity, etc, I was enthralled. And just as I was getting bored by the second act...

The last third of the movie was more of a classic science fiction story- "Boy meets weapon. Boy destroys everything in his way with said weapon. Boy saves planet. (but not Earth)." And I enjoyed it equally. It was a great ending to a great ride.

I laughed. I cried. I enjoyed it. I touched myself in the theatre and didn't get arrested.

win.

"I laughed. I cried. I enjoyed it. I touched myself in the theatre and didn't get arrested." ^^:applause:

On D9-

I saw it and was ambivalent about the first third of it. I grew in love with it the more I watched it. By the end, I thought it was pretty special.

The first third of the movie is, (using Hollywood suitspeak) "The Office Meets Alien Nation". And I liked it but wasn't ready for it. (this movie was completely misrepresented in the promos. Imagine that.) I thought the acting of the lead actor was incredible. So ordinary. So comical. So ironic. And the further the movie went, the more depth he brought to the role. (or was allowed by the -script to bring to the role) It felt like watching a poorly made documentary and I enjoyed it. And just about the time I was getting bored, the director gave us a second, completely different act.

The second third of the movie was a political drama and a man versus/ drama. Between the beaurocrat becoming an other, and the loss of self tension, between the action of the military and government using and abusing him, the loss of his family, identity, etc, I was enthralled. And just as I was getting bored by the second act...

The last third of the movie was more of a classic science fiction story- "Boy meets weapon. Boy destroys everything in his way with said weapon. Boy saves planet. (but not Earth)." And I enjoyed it equally. It was a great ending to a great ride.

I laughed. I cried. I enjoyed it. I touched myself in the theatre and didn't get arrested.

win.

On D9-

win.

Good god man, you just nailed it. I enjoyed your post as much as the movie itself.

District 9 was awesome for more reasons than one.

My man Nate Dawg.

(thumbs u

When I saw Episode III and Vader was born, I wept like a baby.

Interesting. I laughed out loud at how badly it was done and then wept like a baby after realizing what an utter trainwreck the series had become.

I was just kidding about the weeping part. I actually just shook my head and vowed never to scorch my corneas with such drek again.

MY FAVORITE POSTS OF THE DAY!!!111!

and

It is amazing that anyone who has dropped $10 believes they have purchased a license to become a film critic!

It's... disturbing.

Roy, I'm afraid I must demand that you see "Let The Right One In". I'd really like to hear your input.

It is, after all, the best Swedish movie about

a transgender homosexual pedophile vampire

that you'll ever see.

Actually, it might be more of a DiceX sort of thing... hm