• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten copper keys if we started a portfolio?

74 posts in this topic

Here's my list of Copper age books to have

ASM#300

Sandman#1

Saga of Swamp Thing#21

Miracleman#15

Saga of Swamp Thing#37

Watchmen#1

Miracleman#23

Spawn#1

Miracleman#24

New Mutants#98

(thumbs u

Nice list!

I'd have to agree with at least the bold issues, plus I'd add:

Sandman 8 (1st Death)

New Teen Titans 2 (1st Deathstroke)

DC Comics Presents 26 (1st NTT)

Daredevil 168 (1st Elektra)

Amazing Spider-Man 238 (1st Hobgoblin, and a super cover)

Dark Horse Presents 1 (1st DH comic; 1st Concrete)

That a great list,I also like to add TMNT #1 in there as well.

No Bone love? :grin:

Here's my top ten list of key books from the OP's era, 1981-1994:

TMNT #1

Sandman #1

Watchmen #1

DKR #1

ASM #238

DD #168

Primer #2

Swamp Thing #21

Albedo #2

Bone #1

On the edge: Swamp Thing #37, Caliber Presents #1, ASM #300, Sandman #8, Joe #21, and Harbinger #1.

I'll reiterate what several members have already mentioned: I don't think any of these should be investments. Buy what you like! :)

Here's my list. Most of these books can be found fairly cheap right now. I think these ones have the most potential to make a profit on within the next 6-10 years.

1. New Mutants #87 Volume 1 (1st Full Appearance of Cable)

2. Megaton #3 (1st Full Appearance of Savage Dragon)

3. Ms. Marvel #16 Volume 1 (1st Appearance of Raven Darkholme **Later Becomes Mystique**)

4. Iron Man #282 Volume 1 (1st Full Appearance of War Machine)

5. The New Teen Titans #2 (1st Full Appearance of DeathStroke The Terminator)

6. Sandman Master Of Dreams #8 Volume 1 (1st Full Appearance of Death)

7. Ms. Marvel #18 Volume 1 (1st Full Appearance of Mystique)

8. Tales Of The Teen Titans #44 (1st Appearance of NightWing in Costume)

9. Wolverine #10 Volume 1 (1st Wolverine Sabretooth Battle)

10. Uncanny X-Men #266 Volume 1 (1st Full Appearance of Gambit)

Thanks,

Wil

Here's my list. Most of these books can be found fairly cheap right now. I think these ones have the most potential to make a profit on within the next 6-10 years.

3. Ms. Marvel #16 Volume 1 (1st Appearance of Raven Darkholme **Later Becomes Mystique**)

Thanks,

Wil

:headbang:

Thanks,

Wil

Great list :applause:

Thanks,

Wil

Great list :applause:

Not to be a total downer here, but that list completely misses the mark (with perhaps the exception of the X-Men #266).

Half the books feature C-list characters that have zero mainstream crossover appeal and most of the books have print runs that numbers in the 100s of thousands - which means that getting top census 9.8 copies of any of these books is never going to be a problem.

mschmidt-

I agree that they're all C-List Characters. But I don't think you'll be making any money on books like TMNT #1, Amazing Spiderman #300, Bone #1, Amazing Spiderman #238, Miracle Men #15, Daredevil #168, etc. etc. etc.. All of those books have maxed out in price. I bet if you bought all those books and sold them in 6 to 10 years you'd probally lose a little money on them.

Like I said, all the books I listed are fairly cheap right now. You can find 90% of my list for under $10.00 per. right now. I think those books have the most potential to make a little money.

You're not going to find any Copper Age books that your going to make thousands of $$ on. So you need to look for the books that you can make around $10.00 to $20.00 on ungraded because those books, when graded will make you a couple hunderd in high grade slabs.

I made my list of books that I think someone can make a little money on and not have to spend $5,000.00 on 10 high grade books that you'll end up losing a couple hunderd on when selling them 6 to 10 years later.

Thanks,

Wil

mschmidt-

I agree that they're all C-List Characters. But I don't think you'll be making any money on books like TMNT #1, Amazing Spiderman #300, Bone #1, Amazing Spiderman #238, Miracle Men #15, Daredevil #168, etc. etc. etc.. All of those books have maxed out in price. I bet if you bought all those books and sold them in 6 to 10 years you'd probally lose a little money on them.

Have to agree with Michael. Except maybe the Iron Man #282 which could have short term potential, I don't think any of those books can compete with the independent keys in the long term. The print runs are simply too high. Not to mention Bone and TMNT movies in the near future.

mschmidt-

Like I said, all the books I listed are fairly cheap right now. You can find 90% of my list for under $10.00 per. right now. I think those books have the most potential to make a little money.

You're not going to find any Copper Age books that your going to make thousands of $$ on. So you need to look for the books that you can make around $10.00 to $20.00 on ungraded because those books, when graded will make you a couple hunderd in high grade slabs.

I made my list of books that I think someone can make a little money on and not have to spend $5,000.00 on 10 high grade books that you'll end up losing a couple hunderd on when selling them 6 to 10 years later.

Thanks,

Wil

Thank you for pointing out the fact that the OP's question was a "portfolio to invest in", not the Top ten most valuable books NOW...not sure about you guys, but I like the buy low sell high investing strategy, not buy high and sell just a little bit higher strategy... (shrug)

mschmidt-

Thanks,

Wil

Thank you for pointing out the fact that the OP's question was a "portfolio to invest in", not the Top ten most valuable books NOW...not sure about you guys, but I like the buy low sell high investing strategy, not buy high and sell just a little bit higher strategy... (shrug)

IMO there is a bit of a contradiction between the OP title "list of Copper Keys" and "portfolio of Copper books to invest in".

I think TMNT 1, ASM 300, Bone 1, Harby 1, etc are the current copper keys, even if they have maxed in value. First Deathstroke, Mystique, Wolvie/Sabertooth battle etc may have a greater profit margin if you buy now and sell 6-10 years later but its not likely their max value will equal or surpass the dollar amount of the current the previous books I mentioned.

Well.. maybe first app of Deathstroke, I always thought this character was very underrated. I predict at some point this one will enjoy the same success Deadpool is.

mschmidt-

Thanks,

Wil

IMO there is a bit of a contradiction between the OP title "list of Copper Keys" and "portfolio of Copper books to invest in".

I think TMNT 1, ASM 300, Bone 1, Harby 1, etc are the current copper keys, even if they have maxed in value. First Deathstroke, Mystique, Wolvie/Sabertooth battle etc may have a greater profit margin if you buy now and sell 6-10 years later but its not likely their max value will equal or surpass the dollar amount of the current the previous books I mentioned.

Well.. maybe first app of Deathstroke, I always thought this character was very underrated. I predict at some point this one will enjoy the same success Deadpool is.

I think you're struggling comprehending the OP's original question.

If you're creating an investment portfolio, dividends aside, you'll want to create a portfolio that has the most potential for increase. You wouldn't want to purchase a bunch of stocks that have already hit their max potential. If I go out and buy a mid-grade TMNT #1 for $1,000, that book may appreciate to $1,200 in the next 10 years. You can take that same $1,000 and purchase CGC 9.8 copies of New Teen Titans #2 and Uncanny X-Men #266, probably 7 copies at that price and 10 years from now you'll likely be sitting with alot more than $1,200.

Top Copper keys is a completely different topic and I agree that most of the books in the list above would not be in a Top 10 Copper key list...

PS, LOVE those Valiant books!! (thumbs u

mschmidt-

Thanks,

Wil

If you're creating an investment portfolio, dividends aside, you'll want to create a portfolio that has the most potential for increase. You wouldn't want to purchase a bunch of stocks that have already hit their max potential. If I go out and buy a mid-grade TMNT #1 for $1,000, that book may appreciate to $1,200 in the next 10 years. You can take that same $1,000 and purchase CGC 9.8 copies of New Teen Titans #2 and Uncanny X-Men #266, probably 7 copies at that price and 10 years from now you'll likely be sitting with alot more than $1,200.

Top Copper keys is a completely different topic and I agree that most of the books in the list above would not be in a Top 10 Copper key list...

There are a few indies in the top ten copper keys list that have yet to reach their full potential with movies on the way. On the other hand Marvel & DC keys have mostly reached their summit due to their enormous print runs. IMHO, the best you can hope for are short term gains before a couple big sales bring a slew of submissions and clobber the long term value.

I pretty much specialize in selling Copper/Moderns, as these are the issues I grew up reading and enjoying as a kid :D . And though I pretty much have every key from 1980-2000, I would say the first ten(all variants, error issues and ashcans aside) i would grab would be:

(in no particular order)

Albedo 2

TMNT 1

X-Men 266

Crow 1

Milk and Cheese 1

ASM 238

ASM 300

Cry for Dawn 1

Caliber Presents 1

Primer 2

7 of these 10 books are indys with very low print runs( i would dare to say 10k or less), while the Xmen/Spidey books have MAJOR character intros that have stood the test of time when it comes to holding popularity, demand and overall $ value.

Anyhow, thats my $.02 :grin:

I love Milk and Cheese, funniest comic series ever.

mschmidt-

Thanks,

Wil

I like your way of thinking. (thumbs u

I pretty much specialize in selling Copper/Moderns, as these are the issues I grew up reading and enjoying as a kid :D . And though I pretty much have every key from 1980-2000, I would say the first ten(all variants, error issues and ashcans aside) i would grab would be:

(in no particular order)

Albedo 2

TMNT 1

X-Men 266

Crow 1

Milk and Cheese 1

ASM 238

ASM 300

Cry for Dawn 1

Caliber Presents 1

Primer 2

7 of these 10 books are indys with very low print runs( i would dare to say 10k or less), while the Xmen/Spidey books have MAJOR character intros that have stood the test of time when it comes to holding popularity, demand and overall $ value.

Anyhow, thats my $.02 :grin:

An FYI.. I talked to Evan Dorkin in Baltimore and he said that there were 3,000 copies of Milk and Cheese #1 printed.