• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convince me to collect/read Unity & Valiant books.

43 posts in this topic

I've heard alot about these two companies & how great there books were so why should I give these companies a try? What makes them good?

Why do you need people to convince you to try these books? With a few exceptions, most can be found in the dollar bin of your local comics store. Spend $3 (cost of a new comic) and experience it for yourself. :whatev:

Are there any trades avalible? hm

Only for the major titles... Generally, the trades are pretty cheap. (And go for far less than the prices listed in Greg's guide.)

Harbinger

Shadowman

Magnus, Steel Nation (more expensive)

Solar

Rai

X-O Manowar

etc.

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/library.asp

Sam, start with Solar, then X-O, then Harbinger as a recommendation. Then come back and let us know what you think.

I would have sent you the X-O as a gift, but I gave it away to someone on here for lending me some TPBs to read. Super material!

Yes I would also like to chime in that the early Valiant comics were some of the best written stuff of the 90's. Once you pick up one book, you can't stop until you reach the post unity junk. Pre-Unity Valiants are pretty much the only 90's books that I don't mind reading over and over again and it never gets old. (thumbs u

The only thing I could convince you of is running away quickly from Valiant...

let the hating begin!

JJ

Now stop that, JJ. You know the early work was outstanding.

:gossip:unless you're selling; then they are total carp!

Only for the major titles... Generally, the trades are pretty cheap. (And go for far less than the prices listed in Greg's guide.)

Harbinger

Shadowman

Solar

Rai

X-O Manowar

etc.

Sam, start with Solar, then X-O, then Harbinger as a recommendation. Then come back and let us know what you think.

I would have sent you the X-O as a gift, but I gave it away to someone on here for lending me some TPBs to read. Super material!

I agree, some of the best stuff out there from the 90's. Valiant is what got me into collecting in the first place.

The pre unity issues may be in expensive but you may have a harder time tracking down the individual issues. Its probably a lot easier buying the trades.

X-O Manowar TPB is probably the easiest to track down and most inexpensive. Solar and Harbinger aren't too bad, Solar was an all black cover and Harby included a copy of issues #0 so it has some intrinsic value, but still not hard to track down.

If I'm not mistaken Solar, Harbinger, and X-O crossed over into each other with frequency in the early issues so to get the whole picture start with those 3 TPB.

Harbinger

Shadowman

Solar

Rai

X-O Manowar

etc.

With the exception of A&A #0 these are the only titles that contain Pre Unity Issues anyway so that works out. (thumbs u

And I sold a set of 10 VVSS comics (Valiant Validated Signature Series) for over $1,000. This company runs the gamit of 25 cent (worthless) books, to $2k for a 9.8 Harbinger #1.

9.8 Harbinger #1s are around $700 now... :gossip:

Last 3 on GPA have sold for $530-$680. That book has cooled off tremendously...1/3rd of the price of where it was 1-year ago...

Wasn't so much a cooling off but a true reflection of their value. If I am not mistaken the 2k sale for Harby #1 was the result of two Valiant fans placing a super high bid that they figured nobody else would get near.

Wasn't so much a cooling off but a true reflection of their value. If I am not mistaken the 2k sale for Harby #1 was the result of two Valiant fans placing a super high bid that they figured nobody else would get near.

I think it was that one $2,500 sale the caused the biggest shift in the market. Next thing you know, anyone with a nice copy of Harbinger 1 felt they had thousands of dollars of sitting in their collection (and they did for the next few sales).

But reality has started to set in that there are more than 47 copies in CGC 9.8 alone, and probably more on their way. Still, a tough book to get above a 9.6, but not rare.

I'd consider Solar 10 first print to be much tougher book in 9.8 due to that wonderful pure black cover. I've run across more copies with at least one stress line that would knock it down to a 9.6, so a 9.8 is a dream book to find.

Since the $2,500 sale, the CGC 9.8 census count on Harbinger #1 has risen by about 30.

I believe that maybe 6 to 8 of those are valid, and the other two dozen are due to CGC loosening the CGC 9.8 criteria.

CGC 9.8 seems to be rising far too quickly across the board... all copper/moderns.

There's no way that hundreds of copies were graded with a consistent 9.8 ratio,

and then all-of-the-sudden the ratio triples (or worse) based on a few new submissions.

CGC 9.8 from about mid-2008 to now has been a very questionable grade.

hm

Clearly, when Borock parted ways with the company, the collective grading opinions left at CGC shifted a bit. (shrug)

(Seems only natural.)

Yes, that does seem to be the conclusion.

From the "CGC is a business" point of view, not-so-subtly giving the client base a reason to re-submit their books is definitely profitable.

From a consumer-confidence point of view, CGC grading having a radical shift in quality and consistency can not be a good thing.

Long-term loss of confidence always outweighs short-term gains. :(

Since the $2,500 sale, the CGC 9.8 census count on Harbinger #1 has risen by about 30.

I get what you are saying about the grading shift, as I've received a few books that left me wondering.

But when you say 30, you mean additional copies and not 30 total, right? I believe there are 47 now in the census.

I get what you are saying about the grading shift, as I've received a few books that left me wondering.

But when you say 30, you mean additional copies and not 30 total, right? I believe there are 47 now in the census.

Yep, "risen by 30" as in "+30 new ones". It was in the teens before, probably around 17.

I honestly doubt that many of those new 30 are better than CGC 9.6 copies pre-2008.

Some are, but no way even half are up to the "old 9.8" standard.

86719.gif.4e140fb43da691c73de27644f80e8f78.gif

Similar story for G.I. Joe #21

9.8 for Harby #1 is still a challenge to get with the way the 3 staple spine was produced for the book. My best copy is probably a solid 9.4 - 9.6

The way I look at it (and my thinking applied to G.I. Joe #21) When the # of blue labels increase dramatically the only thing you can do to make your copy "rarer" is get it SS'd.

Harbinger #1 - 42 copies 9.8 blue label vs. 6 copies 9.8 SS'd

G.I. Joe #21 - 23 copies 9.8 blue label vs. 0 copies 9.8 SS'd

I'm so close to getting a Solar #10 in 9.8 I submitted my copy and got 9.6 I was so sure I had a winner :frustrated: