• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gilbert Shelton OA

11 posts in this topic

My dad's 70th birthday is coming up in a few months. It's kinda a big one and he's not in the best of health, so I've been trying to think of a good present that he'd really dig. He was something of a comix fan in the late 60s early 70s, especially the Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat. So, I was thinking I could maybe get him some Sheldon original art. A quick ebay search got me nowhere though.

Is Sheldon art found frequently? I can't decide whether it'd be terribly expensive or not. If an original page or strip is out of my price range, maybe he goes to conventions? I could get him to do a little commission for me maybe.

Thanks for any help.

What is this "Google" of which you speak?

edit: Dang, that ain't cheap at all!

Geez Spedy..have you been up at the North Pole for a few years??

www.google.com

I'm kidding! I always feel dumb when I ask something before googling it...

Okay, I'm gonna try to get me some Freak Brothers or Fat Freddy's Cat art by mid February. The grail would be a nice FF's Cat strip, but I see those ain't cheap. I'd also be totally psyched to find Shelton at a convention or something and get a little commission action. He doesn't seem to be an easy man to track though.

Does anyone know about representation for him? Or a site that keeps track of his whereabouts and/or appearances. It'd be great if I could find him near NYC at some point, but it looks like he stays in the California area mostly. If I can find a show he'll be at there, and someone who's going to it, maybe I could get them to get the commission for me. Do folks ever do that?

Thanks for helping out, and my apologies for what must be a slew of noob questions.

Speedy-D,

Gilbert Shelton moved to France a number of years ago. He also sold his art in bulk to a few number of individuals who still have most of it.

I believe he is working with on a book with an European artist, as of a couple of years ago.

Best of luck,

Edwin