• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten golden age keys if we started a portfolio?

55 posts in this topic

If you can pick 10 golden age keys from 1935 to 1954 to invest in, what would they be and why? Please give this some good thought as I am going to ask the mods for this to be a sticky. :wishluck: this is for investment purposes only.

The picks here seem to be a whole lot more expensive than the other ages. :)

Probably based on demand:

1. Superman 1

2. Batman 1

3. Action 1

4. Tec 27

5. Cap 1

6. Tec 31

7. MM 9

8. Action 7

9. All American 16

10. Flash 1

MC 1 probably #11 but no Adventure 40, MF 52 as don't see the longer term demand for them.

The first responder gave an ideal answer that zeroed in on the most valuable and sought-after comics, which are mostly DC and Marvel titles.

Here are some other comics to look at:

1. Suspense Comics #3 -- notorious human-sacrifice cover

2. Archie #1 -- king of the teen comedy/romance comics

3. Startling Comics #49 -- iconic robot/bondage cover

4. Reform School Girl -- iconic and notorious cover

5. Mad Comics #1 -- essential to comedy history

6. Phantom Lady #17 -- sexiest comic cover ever

7. Black Cat Mystery Comics #50 -- goriest comic cover ever

8. Crime Suspenstories #22 -- centerpiece of anti-comic senate hearings

9. Teen-Age Dope Slaves -- high bar for exploitation storytelling

10. All-Negro Comics #1 -- first comic by and for blacks

Funny stuff 31

Comic calvacade 40

Buzzy 70

Worlds finest 67

Catman 13

All star 36

Subby 1

Atomic 4

Funny pages 40

Funny folk 2

+1

FAIL.

I thought we were talking about value going up not down.

:makepoint:

Funny stuff 22

Comic calvacade 40

Buzzy 70

Worlds finest 67

Catman 13

All star 36

Subby 1

Atomic 4

Funny pages 40

Funny folks 2

It's bit early in the thread to try and list comics in your collection you want to sell.

lol

1. Tec. 27

2. Action 1

3. Superman 1 (early printing)

4. Marvel 1 (Oct copy)

5. Batman 1

6. Cap 1

7. Superman 1 (later printing)

8. All-American 16

9. Pep 22

10. Flash 1

I broke out the different printings of Supes 1 and MC 1 because I think collectors in the future may start to pay attention to these and we will start to see price spreads between the two.

If you want books with more risk but also more potential upside % increase, I would consider first books in a genre and "undiscovered" classic covers.

Books in the first category would be:

Crime Does Not Pay #22

Young Romance #1

Eerie #1

Zip #18

Potential classic cover choices would be:

a number of the Schomburg Harvey war covers,

Pep #20

Startling #46

All Top #16

just a note on printings... I don't think anyone has, in 60 years of collecting, broken out pricing based on printings for supes or batman or action (they have, to a very small degree, on the marvel 1, but even there, most just want "a" marvel 1)... so, I don't think I am going out on a limb predicting that virtually no one will start to break out pricing based on printings now... there is just not enough supply base relative to demand, to make that feasible (not to mention firm printing statistics, etc)... just my opinion, but it is apparently also the acceptance of virtually everyone that collects up to now (thumbs u

If you can pick 10 golden age keys from 1935 to 1954 to invest in, what would they be and why? Please give this some good thought as I am going to ask the mods for this to be a sticky. :wishluck: this is for investment purposes only.

The picks here seem to be a whole lot more expensive than the other ages. :)

since I was only half serious with my first response, let me shed some light here lol

the question was not to name the most valuable comics, but to identify what are good investments...

while action 1 and tec 27, etc are GREAT books and solid investments, no way they have the best return potential, relative to their already established pricing tiers...

so, folks need to think "outside" the box to trully answer...

what books now are super cool, but severely undervalued to the point that they could take a HUGE jump in value (making for a great investment)...

Action 1 is great, but I don't see it moving 100% up in price in the next few years...

Catman 13 or All Star 36, now those could, if enough folks garner interest...because they are very "cheap" now, relatively speaking...and they are in relatively short supply...so all you need is an increase in demand (thumbs u

If you want books with more risk but also more potential upside % increase, I would consider first books in a genre and "undiscovered" classic covers.

Books in the first category would be:

Crime Does Not Pay #22

Young Romance #1

Eerie #1

Zip #18

Potential classic cover choices would be:

a number of the Schomburg Harvey war covers,

Pep #20

Startling #46

All Top #16

I agree that books like Pep 22 & CDNP 22, which are extremely difficult to find in any grade, aren't going to lose their value anytime soon. Way too much demand and sparingly few copies come to market for any precipitous drop to occur, in my opinion.

just a note on printings... I don't think anyone has, in 60 years of collecting, broken out pricing based on printings for supes or batman or action (they have, to a very small degree, on the marvel 1, but even there, most just want "a" marvel 1)... so, I don't think I am going out on a limb predicting that virtually no one will start to break out pricing based on printings now... there is just not enough supply base relative to demand, to make that feasible (not to mention firm printing statistics, etc)... just my opinion, but it is apparently also the acceptance of virtually everyone that collects up to now (thumbs u

Exactly - up to now. But that could certainly change in the future as more people become aware of it. That is especially true if you start getting more Copper and Bronze collectors (who are very cognizant of printings and variants) shifting to collecting Gold. If CGC starts noting the early or later Supes printings you will start to see a price spread like you are beginning to see on the MC 1, imo. That's why i think it makes good investment sense to go after the early Supes 1 now, before they start commanding a premium over their later brethren. But what do I know - I could never afford either. :)

Exactly - up to now. But that could certainly change in the future as more people become aware of it. That is especially true if you start getting more Copper and Bronze collectors (who are very cognizant of printings and variants) shifting to collecting Gold. If CGC starts noting the early or later Supes printings you will start to see a price spread like you are beginning to see on the MC 1, imo. That's why i think it makes good investment sense to go after the early Supes 1 now, before they start commanding a premium over their later brethren. But what do I know - I could never afford either. :)

aha! I guess my point is that various printings on the "big guns" have been known for 30+ years... and in those 30+ years, nothing happened...

I also don't think folks collecting $300 copper books are suddenly going to give a strong consideration to a $30K supes 1, or say that is only worth 28K... I just don't see it happening...

and truthfully, I don' think there has really ever been a price diff in the Marvel copies... not enough sales in same grade to support that theory and there are equally not enough "new" folks that will support a price diff in the DC's either (thumbs u