• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten golden age keys if we started a portfolio?

55 posts in this topic

You're probably right. You know that market better than most anyone. :)
again, just my opinion, and your opinion is equally valid :foryou:

... but my gut tells me that there are just not enough copies and buyers out there to "all of a sudden", or even long term from here on out, affect a distinquishing...

now, had they started separting the printings out 30 years ago, I can see it...but, as many know, it is tough to affect change in our hobby (heck, cgc has gone 9 + years with , I assume, no demand to seperate out the printings) (thumbs u

I don't have a top ten list, but aside from listing the "no brainers" like Action #1, Tec 27, etc. I would list the Action war covers, #39,40,43,44,48,53,54,55,58,59,62,63,66. plus a few others as having growth potential in the next 10 years.

Yes, they aren't exactly cheap right now, but they are not broken out in the guide as of yet, and collectors have been paying more for them for awhile now. Plus the census shows most of these books as having less than 20 total copies graded per issue.

I also think the POST-Robin Detectives have room for growth. As the Pre-Robins have reached prices that the average collector can no longer afford, and there are some great Post Robin books, Tec #41,44,45,46,48,49,54, etc.

so there's my 2 cents.

The first responder gave an ideal answer that zeroed in on the most valuable and sought-after comics, which are mostly DC and Marvel titles.

Here are some other comics to look at:

1. Suspense Comics #3 -- notorious human-sacrifice cover

2. Archie #1 -- king of the teen comedy/romance comics

3. Startling Comics #49 -- iconic robot/bondage cover

4. Reform School Girl -- iconic and notorious cover

5. Mad Comics #1 -- essential to comedy history

6. Phantom Lady #17 -- sexiest comic cover ever

7. Black Cat Mystery Comics #50 -- goriest comic cover ever

8. Crime Suspenstories #22 -- centerpiece of anti-comic senate hearings

9. Teen-Age Dope Slaves -- high bar for exploitation storytelling

10. All-Negro Comics #1 -- first comic by and for blacks

:luhv:

If you can pick 10 golden age keys from 1935 to 1954 to invest in, what would they be and why? Please give this some good thought as I am going to ask the mods for this to be a sticky. :wishluck: this is for investment purposes only.

The picks here seem to be a whole lot more expensive than the other ages. :)

since I was only half serious with my first response, let me shed some light here lol

the question was not to name the most valuable comics, but to identify what are good investments...

while action 1 and tec 27, etc are GREAT books and solid investments, no way they have the best return potential, relative to their already established pricing tiers...

so, folks need to think "outside" the box to trully answer...

what books now are super cool, but severely undervalued to the point that they could take a HUGE jump in value (making for a great investment)...

Action 1 is great, but I don't see it moving 100% up in price in the next few years...

Catman 13 or All Star 36, now those could, if enough folks garner interest...because they are very "cheap" now, relatively speaking...and they are in relatively short supply...so all you need is an increase in demand (thumbs u

I agreed with Gator on his list with more facetiousness than anything (but especially when I saw Cat-Man #13 since I have the MH copy :tonofbricks: ) but I do agree - there are speculative considerations. We've done the top 10 lists before and come to a lot of the same books. If the question is what to invest in that would have the highest percentage gain, I think it brings a lot of books into the thought process. Look at the some of the Nedors that could be had for relatively small dollars a few years ago. Will those books hold their value over time is another question?

catman 13 MH :takeit:

So my casually disguised sales thread worked :D

Unfortunately that's the best of my collection so I better keep it.

well, certainly keep me in mind when/if you are ever ready to sell :wishluck:

I agree with Gator that many of the books listed may be some of the most expensive, but are not necessarily the ones that will provide a huge return in the future due to current market values. I do think, however, that many of the early Caps (and maybe some later iconic Caps such as #46), are good investments. I believe that with the movies in the works, and continuing growth of Cap's popularity, this is where money should be spent.

Probably based on demand:

1. Superman 1

2. Batman 1

3. Action 1

4. Tec 27

5. Cap 1

6. Tec 31

7. MM 9

8. Action 7

9. All American 16

10. Flash 1

Like that list a lot, though I wouldn´t state for sure that these will have the biggest rise in %worth in the next few years.

The only thing that is for sure, is that those books will be completely unreachable for a lot of average collectors in a few years. Heck, most of them already are.

6 of these are in the current CC auction and AA16 and Tec 31 will be on HA in a while.

Let us know if you get any ;)

If you can pick 10 golden age keys from 1935 to 1954 to invest in, what would they be and why? Please give this some good thought as I am going to ask the mods for this to be a sticky. :wishluck: this is for investment purposes only.

since I was only half serious with my first response, let me shed some light here lol

the question was not to name the most valuable comics, but to identify what are good investments...

while action 1 and tec 27, etc are GREAT books and solid investments, no way they have the best return potential, relative to their already established pricing tiers...

what books now are super cool, but severely undervalued to the point that they could take a HUGE jump in value (making for a great investment)...

Action 1 is great, but I don't see it moving 100% up in price in the next few years...

Catman 13 or All Star 36, now those could, if enough folks garner interest...because they are very "cheap" now, relatively speaking...and they are in relatively short supply...so all you need is an increase in demand (thumbs u

You forgot AMAN #26 :baiting:

He didn't forget..........AMAN #25 & 26 make Gator go :cry:

He didn't forget..........AMAN #25 & 26 make Gator go :cry:

Wouldn't #22 be a better choice?

:baiting:

so, folks need to think "outside" the box to trully answer...what books now are super cool, but severely undervalued to the point that they could take a HUGE jump in value (making for a great investment)...

thats what I was looking for and not what the 10 most valuable comics are. thanks.

Great thread and it makes me wonder if anyone would ever set up an investment fund that bought CGC graded books as a portfolio and stored them in archival conditions. I realize this completely defeats the purpose of "collecting comics" but with the values these books are approaching and slabbing we are halfway there.

This would be an interesting way for the average collector to get a piece of an Action #1, even if you can't touch it. Are there any arrangements like this for other high grade collectibles, say paintings or the like?

The annual report would be great if nothing else. And I would love to read the management discussion on the decision to move assets into Buzzy!

Great thread and it makes me wonder if anyone would ever set up an investment fund that bought CGC graded books as a portfolio and stored them in archival conditions. I realize this completely defeats the purpose of "collecting comics" but with the values these books are approaching and slabbing we are halfway there.

This would be an interesting way for the average collector to get a piece of an Action #1, even if you can't touch it. Are there any arrangements like this for other high grade collectibles, say paintings or the like?

The annual report would be great if nothing else. And I would love to read the management discussion on the decision to move assets into Buzzy!

my plan was to start one in each era,gold(modest),silver,bronze,copper and yes even modern. of course its a long term plan but what can be started now could be very fruitful in 20 to 30 years, maybe I won`t get the benefits but my kids could.