• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would you do?

50 posts in this topic

The problem sales wise is a lot of buyers don't even consider a purple label. Creating a new label that is called "conserved" for just certain types of restoration doesn't seem like all that great a solution. How do they know that conserved will be more embraced/any less stigmatized by the collecting public than qualified or restored? I suspect conserved/restored - it will make little difference in value.

As I said a lot of times: there is a big difference between professional restoration of a truly ruined, or lowgrade book, and a limited repair performed to handle the book without the fear of damaging it.

Even small color touches do not bother me at all, especially if barely visible.

Sometimes I wondered what happened to US collectors: maybe it’s just that Purple is not a color which meets their tastes, or more simply that CGC had not differentiated between the two? :D

The problem sales wise is a lot of buyers don't even consider a purple label. Creating a new label that is called "conserved" for just certain types of restoration doesn't seem like all that great a solution. How do they know that conserved will be more embraced/any less stigmatized by the collecting public than qualified or restored? I suspect conserved/restored - it will make little difference in value.

As I said a lot of times: there is a big difference between professional restoration of a truly ruined, or lowgrade book, and a limited repair performed to handle the book without the fear of damaging it.

Sometimes I wondered what happened to US collectors: maybe it’s just that Purple is not a color which meets their tastes, or more simply that CGC had not differentiated between the two? :D

It's a "thing" with collectors of slabs. It bears mentioning that for every 1 slab sold probably 1000. or even 10,000 e raw comics sell. Except perhaps for r major keys in higher grade, books with minor color touch or a bit glue on the spine sell much better and for more money raw than they do slabbed. Because just as you have stated, raw collectors are not automatically inclined to completely ignore a book because of such. They will take a look at it, judge how much color touch, how it looks - and what's the price.

It's a "thing" with collectors of slabs. It bears mentioning that for every 1 slab sold probably 1000. or even 10,000 e raw comics sell. Except perhaps for r major keys in higher grade, books with minor color touch or a bit glue on the spine sell much better and for more money raw than they do slabbed. Because just as you have stated, raw collectors are not automatically inclined to completely ignore a book because of such. They will take a look at it, judge how much color touch, how it looks - and what's the price.

So, basically, "collectors of slabs" (whatever that means) are not the same thing of collectors of comics? :D

I agree there is a difference between an amateur repair and a professional repair. But, regardless if the label says qualified or conserved, I'm still going to avoid them. Most of the books I collect are not rare (SA and up) so there is no need for me to settle for either when there is a perfectly fine non-restored book in a CGC slab waiting for me to buy.

Now, if I was collecting GA and the book was rare and rarely comes up for sale, I can see maybe buying a qualified/conserved label book. But if the GA book is readily available, I don't see why I'd pick the restored book over the non-restored book.

I had the resto removed by Matt Nelson years ago. The 5.5 Purple changed to a 4.5 Blue. It's worth a decent amount more now I guess...but I don't really know why I did it. I think, more than the money (I've no plans to sell it), the PLOD stigma was just bugging me.

This is really weird, Speedy, as I would actually perform that kind of repair, instead of removing it. There is nothing more annoying to me than having to worry when I handle a book. :)

But I know I would not also keep a book into a case, if it has to stay in my possession. :)

This was a few years ago. I might handle it differently now.

Some people might consider that a feature of a purple label, rather than a problem.

"A book I can buy at a fraction of the price because almost no investors or speculators are interested in it? Sign me up! " :D

The problem sales wise is a lot of buyers don't even consider a purple label.

So, basically, "collectors of slabs" (whatever that means) are not the same thing of collectors of comics? :D

They both collect comics obviously. But as in the other hobbies (coins, cards) collectors tend to gravitate towards slabbed or raw. Obviously a lot of collectors have both, but the differentiation is clear. Different price guides and different tastes. In line with this discussion, raw collectors are much more likely to think of minor CT as just that. Collectors that prefer slabbed comics think of minor CT as "restored".

Other examples come to mind. I've observed that collectors that prefer slabbed books are tend to dislike arrival dates on their books. Raw collectors are much more accepting and I know a few that go so far as to "like" neat arrival dates.

Wow, consensus: don't remove the restoration. All responses sound totally reasonable, I think I'll leave it as is.

Boozad, I couldn't afford one that looks this good without the restoration. Actually, I couldn't really afford this one either, but I still bought it.

Because it is silly that this sort of conservation hurts the value of a book -- it isn't like it is trimming or color touch where a book is being manipulated to look better.

It seems to me that rather than PLODing this sort of conservation, that CGC ought to just give the grade as it would be without the conservation..so, here, a decent looking book with one detached or popped staple. of course, i realize that this would really entail looking at what was done and make a guess as to its impact.

Or have a "conserved" lable...I dunno, make it orange or something

Wow, consensus: don't remove the restoration. All responses sound totally reasonable, I think I'll leave it as is.

Boozad, I couldn't afford one that looks this good without the restoration. Actually, I couldn't really afford this one either, but I still bought it.

Because it is silly that this sort of conservation hurts the value of a book -- it isn't like it is trimming or color touch where a book is being manipulated to look better.

It seems to me that rather than PLODing this sort of conservation, that CGC ought to just give the grade as it would be without the conservation..so, here, a decent looking book with one detached or popped staple. of course, i realize that this would really entail looking at what was done and make a guess as to its impact.

I suspect an "orange, conserved" label would just join green and purple in the "avoid at all costs unless unless being sold for pennies on the dollar" CGC graded books.

I still think what they almost did years ago makes the most sense. Blue labels with clear notations of all restoration detected. This might "guide" collectors to think of a book as simply having color touch and glue on the spine instead of "restored". While they are at it, they can get rid of the green label as well and either note whatever the problem is on a blue label or do a split grade.

They got rid of the modern red label many years ago because any color other than blue caused some alarm. Sellers had to constantly explain that red was as good as blue. It's long past time to dump the various colors - except signature series - and use the blue label with proper notes. Just my 2 cents.

Are you aware of the Conserved Label discussion in Gold forum.

coming soon...

:popcorn: