• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would you do?

50 posts in this topic

I have this Flash 105 CGC 5.5 PLOD that I'm totally proud of. But lately I've been thinking it might be nicer not to have the purple label. So I wrote to Matt Nelson at Classics Incorporated to see if maybe I could get the restoration removed, what that might cost, and what condition the comic would be in when he got through with it.

The CGC label says something like "restoration includes: spine reinforced," which was not enough info for Matt. So I called CGC to get the graders' notes, and they told me that the comic is "reinforced at the top staple." Matt says that this probably means rice paper at that staple, and that if it were removed the staple may well no longer be attached. Which would be a bummer. But it's a small amount of restoration, and it'd be so much nicer to have a restoration-free Flash 105, y'know?

So, I guess I'm wondering two things:

1. If this is a pretty typical 5.5-looking comic, and after the resto removal is finished the cover is detached at the top staple, what might that do to the grade?

2. Given whatever the answer is to question 1, would you go ahead and have the restoration removed? It's not like I'm ever going to leaf through this comic, I've got a couple reprints for when I'm in the reading mood. So a popped staple won't kill me and I won't be adding any additional stress to it.

Speedy,

The work that was done to your book seems more like conservation of the book to me. It seems to be structurally reinforcing a weakness in the book. I would leave it as is, so as not to risk the book backsliding. But I would agree with you if it were CT or something unobtrusive being removed.

But would Matt be adding stress to the bottom staple during the restoration removal process? It seems to me that he would have to remove the cover in order to completely remove the rice paper from the top staple area.

Personally, I would leave the book alone. I would much rather have a book with a purple label, especially if it's "minor" restoration, than have the cover detached at the top staple.

Heck, if the purple label bothers you that much, crack the book out and put it in a Mylar.

Wow, consensus: don't remove the restoration. All responses sound totally reasonable, I think I'll leave it as is.

Boozad, I couldn't afford one that looks this good without the restoration. Actually, I couldn't really afford this one either, but I still bought it.

Speedy,

The work that was done to your book seems more like conservation of the book to me. It seems to be structurally reinforcing a weakness in the book. I would leave it as is, so as not to risk the book backsliding. But I would agree with you if it were CT or something unobtrusive being removed.

+1 Leave it be!!

DRX

I have this Flash 105 CGC 5.5 PLOD that I'm totally proud of. But lately I've been thinking it might be nicer not to have the purple label. So I wrote to Matt Nelson at Classics Incorporated to see if maybe I could get the restoration removed, what that might cost, and what condition the comic would be in when he got through with it.

The CGC label says something like "restoration includes: spine reinforced," which was not enough info for Matt. So I called CGC to get the graders' notes, and they told me that the comic is "reinforced at the top staple." Matt says that this probably means rice paper at that staple, and that if it were removed the staple may well no longer be attached. Which would be a bummer. But it's a small amount of restoration, and it'd be so much nicer to have a restoration-free Flash 105, y'know?

So, I guess I'm wondering two things:

1. If this is a pretty typical 5.5-looking comic, and after the resto removal is finished the cover is detached at the top staple, what might that do to the grade?

2. Given whatever the answer is to question 1, would you go ahead and have the restoration removed? It's not like I'm ever going to leaf through this comic, I've got a couple reprints for when I'm in the reading mood. So a popped staple won't kill me and I won't be adding any additional stress to it.

If you plan to crack it and read it and then keep it in a mylar, leave it alone. Me, I would remove the resto if I thought I could get a 4.0 blue or better. (shrug) A 4.0 universal > 5.5 PLOD in cash value, right? The appearance of the book won't change all that much with a popped staple.

Speedy,

Yeah.

Structure work should be left alone if it was done well.

You don't want the book to fall apart.

You've been getting sound advice here, imo. This is conservstion-type resto and should be seen as an improvement on the book, not a defect.

In an ideal world a book like this should not take a huge hit in market value, imo. It should be worth FMV w/o resto (maybe the value of a 3.0/3.5 or so) + cost of resto + a small premium because the work is already done. Instead the book would probably be worth more if harmful, non-archival tape were used to reattach the cover and it were in a blue lable rather than archivally-safe (and removable) rice paper in a purple label. That is screwy imo. :screwy:

I'm a firm believer that CGC should consider tape to be what it is: amateur restoration.