• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You just can't beat the USPS

29 posts in this topic

So a fellow board member recently won a slab from me on ebay. I pack like a fiend as some of you might note by my recent shipping cost posts, but apparently if the mail person is intent on damaging a package there isn't much you can do about it. :eek:

photo.jpg

First slab I've had damaged in transit in a long time. :mad:

I feel worse for the buyer not only because he is a fellow board member, but also because I know how disheartening it is to receive a damaged slab. :cry:

Arrgh, sorry to hear it. Was the box bashed in?

No idea - the buyer just wanted to contact me so we can work out a solution - he is away from home on business.

My first concern was if the comic itself was damaged which doesn't appear to be the case, but he is going to check when he gets home on Saturday to be sure.

The curious part is since I double box they *really* had to treat the box rough in order to cause a complete crack across the top as is shown. It's like someone set the box against a wall and then KICKED it. (shrug)

Maybe the postal carrier was having a bad day? hm

Copy the packaging used by ComicLink and Pedigree. They'd have to do a lot more than pin and kick their double-envelope, double-bubblewrapped, peanut-packed boxes to crack a slab; they'd have to physically crush the the box to less than half its original width.

Is the post office really not liable at all if they deliver a crushed package if no insurance is obtained? Seems like there should be a minimum level of liability they incur if it's obvious their handling was just overtly horrible.

Copy the packaging used by ComicLink and Pedigree. They'd have to do a lot more than pin and kick their double-envelope, double-bubblewrapped, peanut-packed boxes to crack a slab; they'd have to physically crush the the box to less than half its original width.

Is the post office really not liable at all if they deliver a crushed package if no insurance is obtained? Seems like there should be a minimum level of liability they incur if it's obvious their handling was just overtly horrible.

I'm thinking of using additional bubble wrap though I already use two pieces for each slab on average not to mention the double boxing. I've spent Northward of 500.00 on shipping supplies so far since I double box - for mailers, pads and bubble wrap.

I'm not sure what the PO's liability is. I know international packages have a base insurance coverage based on weight, but I don't think domestic mail shares that benefit.

This is been the first damage I've experienced in years and the remaining auctions have come through with no issue so far - just may be a fluke.

Perhaps NY mail carriers treat their packages a tad rough? hmlol

I figure for most of us insuring a package is a given with the usps. To damage a slab like that the box must have taken a good amount of physical damage. I feel for ya. The first time I sent some raw books out to a witness, the package got crushed and dented every single one.

Good point. I ignored my own rule for insuring sales over 50.00 and this one bit me so lesson learned. (thumbs u

I've spent Northward of 500.00 on shipping supplies so far since I double box - for mailers, pads and bubble wrap.

Why buy anything besides bubble wrap? You can get boxes and padded envelopes for free from the USPS, FedEx, and UPS can't you? I frequently get packages from ComicLink and Pedigree where there will be like a padded UPS enveloped stuffed inside an outer FedEx box package, or vice-versa. They both seem to just randomly choose between FedEx and UPS for shipping.

I've spent Northward of 500.00 on shipping supplies so far since I double box - for mailers, pads and bubble wrap.

Why buy anything besides bubble wrap? You can get boxes and padded envelopes for free from the USPS, FedEx, and UPS can't you? I frequently get packages from ComicLink and Pedigree where there will be like a padded UPS enveloped stuffed inside an outer FedEx box package, or vice-versa. They both seem to just randomly choose between FedEx and UPS for shipping.

I don't know about padded envelopes from USPS.

I don't know about padded envelopes from USPS.

I've never seen those either, but you can get them from UPS and put them inside a USPS box. Does UPS and FedEx give those bubble envelopes away for free, or do they charge for them, anyone know? (shrug)

So a fellow board member recently won a slab from me on ebay. I pack like a fiend as some of you might note by my recent shipping cost posts, but apparently if the mail person is intent on damaging a package there isn't much you can do about it. :eek:

photo.jpg

First slab I've had damaged in transit in a long time. :mad:

I feel worse for the buyer not only because he is a fellow board member, but also because I know how disheartening it is to receive a damaged slab. :cry:

:signfunny: Hiyo!

Are you saying that USPS shipped and broke your slab you sold?

P.S.

I understand that USPS has a "bad wrap-sheet" of situations like this, but they deal with billions of parcels per day (big and small).... so its understandable for some to, "fall between the cracks?"

The curious part is since I double box they *really* had to treat the box rough in order to cause a complete crack across the top as is shown. It's like someone set the box against a wall and then KICKED it. (shrug)

Maybe the postal carrier was having a bad day? hm

Really sorry to hear about this. Judging by your double box comment you did a great job packing.

As an employee of Canada Post I can tell you that the Letter Carrier is just one person in a chain of employees that handle mail. Heavy packages fall on fragile packages, forklifts bump into fragile packages, and bad things happen. USPS and Canada Post are the cheapest way to ship comics and the vast majority of items arrive undamaged and sometimes even at the correct address. The fact that you didn't bother to insure the book suggests that you've rarely had a problem in the past. At least the CGC case did its job and protected the comic.

P.S.

I understand that USPS has a "bad wrap-sheet" of situations like this, but they deal with billions of parcels per day (big and small).... so its understandable for some to, "fall between the cracks?"

hillbilly.gif Heehaw!

Although they deal in many packages, and pretty much all of mine arrive safe, when those rare situations occur it can be annoying having to stand in a line to apply for the reholder and shipping fees.

hillbilly.gif Heehaw!

P.S.

hillbilly.gif Heehaw!

Although they deal in many packages, and pretty much all of mine arrive safe, when those rare situations occur it can be annoying having to stand in a line to apply for the reholder and shipping fees.

hillbilly.gif Heehaw!

Hiyo Nick! :hi:

P.S.

hillbilly.gif Heehaw!

hillbilly.gif Heehaw!

Hiyo Nick! :hi:

lol

hillbilly.gif Heehaw Steve!