• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Just Can't Beat Royal Mail (An Ode To Scottish)

59 posts in this topic

So would it be better to receive a cracked slab than no slab at all? I would have to disagree with you Scottish, you can indeed beat the USPS! Royal Mail have it down to a tee (thumbs u

Last month I traded slabs with a boardie, you may remember the resulting thread about the Priority box coming my way incurring customs charges that shouldn't have been applied what with the contents of the box being comics. What followed has been an absolute nightmare.

So I went to the PO and refused the package due to the fact I shouldn't be hit with the charges. I took the charge number from the package and the phone number for the customs office.

I called them up and they told me yes, they would waive the charges and I would have to write to them or fax them to request they recall the package from the Royal Mail holding office.

I sent the fax on the 8th of September, then called the RM holding office on the 9th to confirm that customs had requested it back and the guy said yep, it had been shipped back that morning. The 9th.

So I waited over a week until the 18th, and having heard nothing I called customs to ask what was happening. They told me they hadn't received the package back. Now I start to get a bit worried seeing as there are $400 worth of books in the box, and I can't call the RM holding office as it shuts at 13:00 and it's way past that on a Friday, so I have to wait until Monday.

Monday comes and I call customs again, they tell me they are looking into it and will get back to me. So I wait. And wait. And wait. Until Thursday, the 24th. I call customs again, and they tell me no they haven't received the box, they will get their superiors to look into it. I'm as pissed off as I can get now so I call the RM holding office. The guy tells me it definitely shipped back to customs on the 9th in a Special Delivery bag with three packs of cigarettes. Special Delivery is guaranteed next day delivery and requires a signature. So back on the phone to customs to tell them this, and again they say they will let me know within the hour.

5 hours later and nothing, so I call a final time. 'Have we not called you back?' they asked. By this time I'm boiling. They bring the RM guy to the phone and he informs me that due to the recent RM strikes my package took 13 days to get there, which ultimately took it outside the 21 day window they would hold it for so it was returned to sender. In America.

So now I have to pay for it to be shipped again all due to RM's incompetence. And I wonder how long it will take me to claim that back... so yeah, you can beat USPS!

:censored::mad:

:pullhair:

My condolences. Depending on your stomach for it, I would be tempted to pursue further so that you get all costs and maybe something extra back eventually.

Good luck.

I've already called the complaints department and they confirmed that under any circumstances should Special Delivery take 13 days to arrive, even taking the recent strikes into account.

The guy in complaints told me to claim for the total of the the contents of the package as well, and even though that's possible, my conscience is stopping me. Although I'm waiting to see if the sender does actually receive them back before I process any claim so I know exactly how much they ing well owe me.

:pullhair:

My condolences. Depending on your stomach for it, I would be tempted to pursue further so that you get all costs and maybe something extra back eventually.

Good luck.

I've already called the complaints department and they confirmed that under any circumstances should Special Delivery take 13 days to arrive, even taking the recent strikes into account.

The guy in complaints told me to claim for the total of the the contents of the package as well, and even though that's possible, my conscience is stopping me. Although I'm waiting to see if the sender does actually receive them back before I process any claim so I know exactly how much they ing well owe me.

Gav - I'm just speechless! :(

Sorry to hear this and I agree the RM has the USPS beat. :cry:;)

I thought the Royal Mail was the greatest PO in the world. :shrug: Sorry to hear about your problems

I seriously doubt the box took 13 days to get there, that's complete bollocks. I just think they got titsed off with me calling and thought they'd screw me over.

I'm currently experiencing problems with Royal Mail / Parcel Force regarding a compensation claim for a slabbed comic book that they destroyed in transit, some time ago now.

I too have found their customer service to be extremely unhelpful and discourteous.

An update.

The books never arrived back with the boardie after nearly one month, so I've put in a claim against Royal Mail for the full value of the books - $400.

I'll let you know how that turns out :wishluck:

An update.

The books never arrived back with the boardie after nearly one month, so I've put in a claim against Royal Mail for the full value of the books - $400.

I'm gonna be really ticked if those damn books don't show up.

Ok, a Bats #427 9.8 I can deal with, but a Bats #227 8.5?

And no, Boozer, they haven't shown up back here yet. I don't think they will.

I'll be filing a claim on this end, too. Let's see what we can get done.

Uber. Lame.

Joe, your avatar is so apt at the moment.

I'm really pissed by this. I sold my #227 7.0 SS because of the upgrade and now because of Royal Mail I don't have one at all :mad:

An update.

God, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. Kind of predictable considering what you went through.

Once or twice over the last several years I've been erroneously charged with a customs fee, usually because the seller wrote down the comic characters or book titles on the customs form, but neglected to mention that the items in question were actually comics and not merchandise.

I always accept the book in these circumstances and either pay the fee and then wait to get my money back, or if I'm lucky, take the unpaid invoice and get it cancelled. Still a pain in the backside, but at least that way you've got the books...

This RM strike reminds me very slightly of how bad things were in the ' 70s, when the unions almost brought the country to its knees.

I always accept the book in these circumstances and either pay the fee and then wait to get my money back, or if I'm lucky, take the unpaid invoice and get it cancelled. Still a pain in the backside, but at least that way you've got the books...

This is something I'll definitely be doing in the furture. Or better still asking whoever I buy from to mark the customs forms as comic books so it doesn't happen at all.

Getting my money back will be OK, but what gets my goat the most is my 8.5 copy of Batman #227 is floating around out there somewhere. And it probably isn't even an 8.5 anymore :cry: