• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoop...the Market Crisis

40 posts in this topic

Ferraris were another 'bulletproof' collectible market that crashed, in the gravy years almost everyone buying collectible Ferraris was buying them solely to punt on at some point down the road, because the thought that Ferrari's could ever go down in price was ridiculous, preposterous. 'Theres only 250 of this Ferrari model made' A dealer would say smuggly 'with that kind of limited supply it'll never go down in price'.

Its as simple as this most of the people buying the big ticket comics are dealers who are 100% sure they can punt comics on for a gain down the road. Once that assured reality crumbles, comics will not be viewed in the same way they are now. Its a very difficult thing to imagine when you're not in the middle of it.

I don’t think GA and SA keys are bulletproof in the least. I just think there is minimal effect on them when it comes to what is happening in the BA/Modern market.

Nothing is immune. Even prices for gold (the heavy yellow stuff) fall.

I dont think Ferraris are a good comparison for comics. Even if they only make + sell a limited number of cars each year (250), dont they make another 250 the next year? and the following year? and year after year?? Im sure each model year is different, and some years are worth more than others, but still - - thats a lot of Ferraris piling up for "collectors" to choose from, isnt it?

So to compare these six-figure collectibles with our comics, of which out of the MILLIONS of different titles and issues that have been published in 60-plus years only a dozen or so have ever sold for that much.....and all of them exist in far fewer remaining numbers in all grades.... is, IMO, a real stretch.

I dont think Ferraris are a good comparison for comics. Even if they only make + sell a limited number of cars each year (250), dont they make another 250 the next year? and the following year? and year after year?? Im sure each model year is different, and some years are worth more than others, but still - - thats a lot of Ferraris piling up for "collectors" to choose from, isnt it?

So to compare these six-figure collectibles with our comics, of which out of the MILLIONS of different titles and issues that have been published in 60-plus years only a dozen or so have ever sold for that much.....and all of them exist in far fewer remaining numbers in all grades.... is, IMO, a real stretch.

.Well first off there are many Ferraris that were part of extremely small runs. As you can see theres many small runs of cars.Details of Ferrari production

I only list this as obviously you were making incorrect assumptions about that aspect of Ferrari collecting.

I am extremely not interested in arguing point for point about the similarities or differences between comics and Ferraris that was never my intention.

Its like saying that because Beanie Baby market and Ferrari market crashed that the circumstances would be the same obviously that ridiculous. However its equally ridiculous to say that because Beanie Babys are $5 and Ferraris $500k that there be absolutely no similarities when two collectible markets crash.

Theres always one thing present when a collectible market crashes I dont care what it is beanie babys or Ferrari's and thats our old friend greed.

okay. I dont know beans about car collecting.

I agree there is a lot of greed around comics now. More so than at points in the past. And this time its concentrated in HG slabbed back issues, not new books. (Sort of blue chips now as opposed to penny stocks in the 90s) And it has heated up real fast which normally precedes a cool off, a correction or a crash, depending on the severity. We'll just have to see what OUR comics story reveals. I personally keep stating that I think it will be felt mostly in newer books that foolishly went for unsustainably inflated prices. But SA keys are not so plentiful in grade and only the wackiest high sales prices will lead to pain and only when sold too soon.

I read all the analyses here about demographics and receding sales of comics, and they ring true. But I still thik we have a generation or two of life left... more than enough time for me and my collection .

My dad's friend showed up at our house one day in the 70s in a shiny new Ferrari. He looked real pleased with himself, but the car seemed totally out of place in suburbia. Thats all I know about them.

The Ferrari collecting market isn't that big. There's a handful of people who actually collect them. Realistically most of the ones post 1980's that are being bought, are driven and not bought for the purpose of collecting.

Brian

The Ferrari collecting market isn't that big. There's a handful of people who actually collect them. Realistically most of the ones post 1980's that are being bought, are driven and not bought for the purpose of collecting.

Brian

Whats your point I've now said it twice that its useless to compare the minutae of each collectible market, please let it go.

Bad comparison. How many people can afford 100,000-250,000 for a Ferrari to "collect"? Definately a far far far smaller number than can afford a 1,000-10,000 dollar comic to "collect".

Brian

The higher price of Ferraris is obviously a barrier to entry, however speculation is speculation whether its a 250k car or a 10k comic.

Personally I think that whats more important is the level of pure speculation on these $10,000 books, if the majority of people buying these $10,000 books sole motivation is to punt them on, then the majority of the comic market revolves around the ability of these speculators to make ever increasing profits. Something which is unsustainable.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe DF can get into the speculative car market with their super rare limited run Ferraris...

Wow, you brought it up and we can't talk about it now. Perhaps you shouldn't have brought it up in the first place then?

Perhaps you should just let it die.

I prefer comparisons to sportscards, coins and beanie babies, so let's talk. gossip.gif

I don't collect Ferraris, actually I absolutely hate them. Never wanted one, have known a few ppl who've owned them. The pre-75 ones are cool, but they suffer from the same deficiencies the new ones do. They all owned them briefly, it's a poorly functioning look-oriented big-engine only PoS IMO. That doesn't mean I don't like high powered sports cars, just not Ferraris. smile.gif

Brian

I'm a Lamborghini man myself, my father has two of them and they are so cool! Just sitting in one is exciting, but driving one is like having sex with a centerfold (but that's a pure guess since I've never done the ladder confused-smiley-013.gif).

Timely

I'm not a fan of those either. Those cars look like they were Transformers in a previous life. Give me a Porsche, MB, or an Aston Martin.

Brian

Actually my father's Lamborghini's are the Muira SV's, it predates the Countach and does not look like a Transformer.

IMO Porsche's are glorified VW's! Supersport cars should at least have an 8 cylinder, anything less is just inferior!

Timely

Yeh, you would definately need 8 cylinders. If the car weighed as much as those Lamborghini's do. :\

Audi's are glorified VW's. Get it straight. I really don't like them, I got one for my fiance. It looks alright but I'm not a fan.

Brian

If your reference is what I think it is, that should best be spelled "minyan." A "minion" is a servant, soldier or follower. A "minyan" is the transliteration of a Hebrew word referring to the tradition of needing ten men for a proper service.

If that wasn't what you meant, OK. smile.gif

Arnold