• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA analysis/Time of the year ?

26 posts in this topic

hey guys, was looking at some books on the GPA analysis to make my decision on purchasing a book. I was looking at other books as well, and I see that alot of key SA books and some GA's, the GPA analysis is showing that prices are going a bit down.

Is the reason, because of the time of the year, that people are saving for christmas now or the economy ?

I've also noticed a lot of auction sites, ebay, Ha, CL, cgc boards etc...have been pretty slow, prices going down a bit or good deals just "sitting" there. I've been researching and it seems to have hit the mid grade area hard (1.0-5.0).

Yes, I know, higher grade SA/GA 8.0 or higher is different thats why I said, around mid grade buyers.

any thoughts on this? (shrug)

the GPA analysis is showing that prices are going a bit down.

SA Keys are going a bit down from what?

From 2002 prices? No.

2003 prices? No.

2004 prices? No.

2004 prices? No.

2005 prices? No.

2006 prices? No.

2007 prices? No.

2008 prices? Maybe.

There was a big explosion early in 2008 and we might be experiencing a correction but I don't think it's safe to say that they are "dropping" is it? I haven't really analyzed them but just in my limited experience I'd say that if you can buy keys at 2007 or earlier prices you are a lucky guy.

2c

the GPA analysis is showing that prices are going a bit down.

SA Keys are going a bit down from what?

From 2002 prices? No.

2003 prices? No.

2004 prices? No.

2004 prices? No.

2005 prices? No.

2006 prices? No.

2007 prices? No.

2008 prices? Maybe.

There was a big explosion early in 2008 and we might be experiencing a correction but I don't think it's safe to say that they are "dropping" is it? I haven't really analyzed them but just in my limited experience I'd say that if you can buy keys at 2007 or earlier prices you are a lucky guy.

2c

Keys are one of the last segments of the market to feel it, but they will feel it. I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing threads in another year or two entitled: "I can't believe that AF # 15 went for so cheap."

I guess when I was looking at the GPA it was showing within the last 90 days, that prices have gone down maybe 200-400. But this is all toward mid grade books. For instance, AF 15 2.0 12 month average was $3,328 in the past 90 days in august one sold for $2,662. Was just curious, if its always this time of the year when comic books are on the "back burner" because of christmas coming up.

Keys are one of the last segments of the market to feel it, but they will feel it. I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing threads in another year or two entitled: "I can't believe that AF # 15 went for so cheap."

(thumbs u

I was just trying to show that his wording didn't include a timeline for comparison.

If the economy continues to unwind in the US the way it has been doing I agree with you, everything will start to be treated as non essential.

To to move to Canada.

:whistle:

To to move to Canada.

Commodity based currency in a world where US dollar denominated hard assets continue to increase in price. Sounds good to me.

Through this entire mess, my Canadian Oil trusts have kept paying me my dividends....wish I could say the same for the sad sack American Corporations that screw their shareholders at every turn.

I guess when I was looking at the GPA it was showing within the last 90 days, that prices have gone down maybe 200-400. But this is all toward mid grade books. For instance, AF 15 2.0 12 month average was $3,328 in the past 90 days in august one sold for $2,662. Was just curious, if its always this time of the year when comic books are on the "back burner" because of christmas coming up.

Christmas is usually a hot time to sell because lots of people spend their Christmas bonuses on themselves.

The market is definitely taking it's toll but AF #15 was glowing white hot for a while there. It's only so long that a light can grow double bright before it burns out.

It's just a normal supply and demand relationship.

Lots of copies have come to market (Comiclink was auctioning off several copies at a time), buyers are satiated and not looking for new copies, economy has slowed down so people have reduced disposable income in efforts to save $$ and so prices drop.

It happens with everything.

(thumbs u

aaa I see, even my old hobbies I was in, everyone is dropping there prices like craz and people still aren't buying. It sad to say, and I agree with you Roy, that It the world economy does unwind more, stuff will drop even further.

I think the worst of it is in the US unfortunately.

:(

Other countries are simply working around the US in that regard and adapting.

As OsbronFr. put it, there are lots of international buyers that are just buying stuff up now.

Just to clarify, 2.0 isn't mid grade, it's low grade (thumbs u

Christmas is usually a hot time to sell because lots of people spend their Christmas bonuses on themselves.

The market is definitely taking it's toll but AF #15 was glowing white hot for a while there. It's only so long that a light can grow double bright before it burns out.

It's just a normal supply and demand relationship.

Lots of copies have come to market (Comiclink was auctioning off several copies at a time), buyers are satiated and not looking for new copies, economy has slowed down so people have reduced disposable income in efforts to save $$ and so prices drop.

It happens with everything.

(thumbs u

Comiclink shows an AF15 CGC 1.5 that just sold for $2,500.

Seems like a 2.0 would currently be "back up" above $2,662,

since CGC 1.8 is also in there between the $2,500 for a 1.5

and whatever a 2.0 would go for today.

EBay prices on AF15 are significantly higher than GPA for universals.

Not that they're selling, just that they're not being offered for GPA and getting passed up.

When copies are available at GPA (or less) and sitting unsold...

that's when know you've got a drop in the market.

(thumbs u

I was just trying to show that his wording didn't include a timeline for comparison.

If the economy continues to unwind in the US the way it has been doing I agree with you, everything will start to be treated as non essential.

To to move to Canada.

Comics are non-essential. :gossip:

As for "to to move to Canada", I'm trying to out move out out of Canada.

That has been so the opposite of my experience. I've been out of the market since 2006, but from 2000 to 2005, I used to specifically save up for Christmas to get books on the cheap. This idea got seared into my brain when I missed an FF #5 CGC 9.2 for 8K in December because I had spent too much that year already :frustrated: , and every Xmas season after that I got great deals. I figured people were just broke from spending a bunch of money on gifts.