• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm an *spoon*!

42 posts in this topic

yes, please name them so we don't all get screw.

:news: :news: :news: :news: :news:

I don't get this...

NOBODY ON EBAY CAN GRADE.

NOBODY!

:news: :news: :news: :news: :news:

So there's no point in outing anybody, as you'd just have to out EVERYBODY. Start from that presumption, and you'll start down the road towards picking out the treasures from the trash. Don't bash people for not being able to grade...it's hard. 99.999% of the world can't do it, so realize how bizarre it really is to feel the need to "call someone out" for not being able to do what nobody else can do.

If an E-Bay seller shows you no indication that they can grade, then there's a simple reason for it. They can't. But identify the ones who can and milk them dry of their primo stock. :cloud9:

If I advertise something on eBay as "9.4, possibly 9.6" then it is 9.4, possibly 9.6 condition. And I know I'm not the only one, there are plenty of people here that can say the same as I do.

Just because the majority of eBayers can't grade doesn't mean there aren't some honest people out there, we just are becoming the exception, not the rule.

Selling something dishonestly would hurt my soul.

-slym

"can't" hmm...

there is a big difference from not being to grade "right" and outright lying. I don't mind buying from someone who claim a book is Hi Grade with decent pictures. I will bid with an assumption that he is already over graded so I will throw a bid at 8.5 level at best...if I don't win, good luck to the winner then. I already assume many of the sellers are overly optimistic with the grades and many sellers on Ebay are also on this board.

I have won a few on Ebay and also returned with no problem after I was not happy with what I received. I don't return anything if the grade is close to my expectation but when it is a leap from 8.5 down to sub 7.0, then I won't be happy and will return the book if the option is available. Sadly this option is not always available so I live and learned. I got screw by the same scammers outed on this board. Had I was a member even 6 months ago, I would have saved myself from buying a few restored piece of junk. I only read about these guys after I joined.

Not outing or calling out anyone on this board? i haven't been on here long enough but it seems like this board had no problem outing people like Roboj or other scammers. So what is the difference between him and this guy?

Selling something dishonestly would hurt my soul.

-slym

I agree. I don't do this to make money. I do it for the joy of collecting and the hobby. I know how it makes me feel when someone rips me off. Why would I want to make someone else feel that way on purpose?

The golden rule is ALWAYS in effect!

"NM+" on ebay pretty much guarantees that the books will be no better than VF+.

When someone actually says something in NM-/9.2 or VF/NM/9.0, that might mean they've actually looked at the book and thought it through and decided not to oversell it.

I'm trying to quickly fill a lot of the less expensive books in the 10 yr gap I've been out of collecting. In the past couple of weeks I bought multiple books from 4 different sellers. Only one of the four turned out bad. I contacted him and he stood by his grades. He said they are all 8.5 to 9.5. There wasn't a single one close to 9.5 in the lot. It was a lot of 15 books. They were moderns, but most of them had a least one rounded/dinged corner, a handful had impact damage, and a few even had spines that were starting to split. I think every one had different degrees of missing ink along the spine. He had multiple lots of books listed and had about 150 positive feedback with only one negative from months back. I feel completely obliged to leave negative feedback. Even though I didn't pay much for them, he still misrepresented what he was selling and based on how much he sells, he should know better... I agree with not leaving bad feedback if someone will provide refunds, but if they stand by obviously poor grading other buyers need to know.

i haven't been on here long enough but it seems like this board had no problem outing people like Roboj or other scammers. So what is the difference between him and this guy?

One has been convicted of collectibles fraud and has been serially ripping comic book collectors off for what is likely to be many millions of dollars for decades, and the other almost certainly hasn't. 'Nuff said.

I'm trying to quickly fill a lot of the less expensive books in the 10 yr gap I've been out of collecting. In the past couple of weeks I bought multiple books from 4 different sellers. Only one of the four turned out bad. I contacted him and he stood by his grades. He said they are all 8.5 to 9.5. There wasn't a single one close to 9.5 in the lot. It was a lot of 15 books. They were moderns, but most of them had a least one rounded/dinged corner, a handful had impact damage, and a few even had spines that were starting to split. I think every one had different degrees of missing ink along the spine. He had multiple lots of books listed and had about 150 positive feedback with only one negative from months back. I feel completely obliged to leave negative feedback. Even though I didn't pay much for them, he still misrepresented what he was selling and based on how much he sells, he should know better... I agree with not leaving bad feedback if someone will provide refunds, but if they stand by obviously poor grading other buyers need to know.

The 9.5 should have been a red flag (no such animal) :grin:

You can leave positive feedback and still comment on poor grading. Smart buyers will read a seller's feedback even if it's 100% (at least I do).

NOBODY ON EBAY CAN GRADE.

NOBODY!

I'm rarely disappointed by grading on Ebay, but I'm careful and avoid small scans or sellers who obviously missed the grade on a book that has a large scan. Also, I buy midgrade books, and those are easier to get right than high grade.

i haven't been on here long enough but it seems like this board had no problem outing people like Roboj or other scammers. So what is the difference between him and this guy?

One has been convicted of collectibles fraud and has been serially ripping comic book collectors off for what is likely to be many millions of dollars for decades, and the other almost certainly hasn't. 'Nuff said.

Robojo has 99.8% positive feedback.. :eek:

Since you use words like "almost certainly hasn't"..what does that mean? you don't want the poster to out someone you knows?

CURSES, I thought showing an objective amount of reasonable doubt towards a complete stranger deserving of being innocent until proven guilty would seem perfectly normal, but I'VE BEEN OUTED! This stupid hat isn't working like they told me it should to keep people from discovering the truth... :makepoint:

tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theory.jpg

I think the point is this...if you're going to buy on eBay, you're going to get grossly overgraded books. And lots of them. :( Some sellers will be doing it deliberately (and we have a few amongst our number here on the boards meh ), but a lot of them will be simply clueless. No malice, no forethought...they are just incapable of telling a GD from a FN/VF.

This doesn't mean they are complete arseholes...just that they don't really know what they're doing and this is the nature of eBay. Let's face it, most of the raw books bought there are snagged at 50% or less of Guide, so where's the real problem?

The real problem is that people continue to shop on eBay, expecting beautiful little gems for half price and then get wound up when they get what they should have expected.

If we ran a thread for every eBay transaction that resulted in an overgraded book being received, we'd be on page 83 of General before we found a non-eBay thread. :eek:

I think the point is this...if you're going to buy on eBay, you're going to get grossly overgraded books. And lots of them. :( Some sellers will be doing it deliberately (and we have a few amongst our number here on the boards meh )

This is true. I have heard tell of stories of sellers who have "eBay" grades and "board" grades.

I think the point is this...if you're going to buy on eBay, you're going to get grossly overgraded books. And lots of them. :( Some sellers will be doing it deliberately (and we have a few amongst our number here on the boards meh )

This is true. I have heard tell of stories of sellers who have "eBay" grades and "board" grades.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves. :sumo:

Boozad ashamed or regular ashamed?

Boozad ashamed or regular ashamed?

Regular ashamed. The great Boozad has his ways. We are not worthy of understanding them. Currently I'm a tad tipsy and my silliness is getting the best of me. :banana:

I swore I'd never buy raw comics from eBay ever again. EVER!!! But recently I ignrored that little voice in my head (not the one that tells me to kill hookers, the one that tells me not to be an arsehole and buy off eBay) and I decided that if I ever want to meet my collecting goals I'd have to buy raw and slab myself. So I looked for the comics I needed from online eBay stores from sellers with 100% feedback. After a few months a couple of items meeting my criteria turn up. I sent an email confirming the books were NM+ as advertised to be told they are. Three different sellers...over 25 comics in total...arrived today...not one of them NM+. One I was particlularly looking forward to, if submitted, would come back as a 6.0 from CGC, and this was advertised as NM+. I don't think it has water damage...it has some form of fluid damage, but it's definatly not water. (Insert jokes here people!!!) So, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for breaking a promise to myself. Now, what on earth is to stop me absolutly destroying all three sellers 100% feedback with very honest, but very negative feedback. Why should I be the only person disappointed today? What would you do? rantrantrantrantrantrant

Yes you are an *spoon* from not buying from me. :mad:

Sorry to hear about the experience, I think everyone on these boards have been burned by Ebay auctions. I stoipped buying comics off of Ebay over 2 years ago because of it. I have to say all the recent changes to the Ebay system have helped me feel better about that decision.