• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are on Facebook

39 posts in this topic

who's doug lapatore and maryann h? (shrug)

Brian's posse. :gossip:

Never heard of either of those guys -- but... I'm assuming they're friends of Harley's/.

I thought it was Mary Ann and her boyfriend's name was Doug. My mistake. Sorry. :foryou:

Oh no... Mary Ann doesn't even know Harley that well... though I think she does buy back issues from him occasionally.

not anymore!!! :insane:

OMG he could do aretouch on those stretch marks..come on he's a master of color touching..

I certainly hope this is a joke, because it's in poor taste, and a potentially damaging accusation, to accuse a comic dealer of color touching... (tsk)

I don't know who the group owners are, but I'd like to see embarrassing photos of *THEM* on Facebook. (shrug)

OMG he could do aretouch on those stretch marks..come on he's a master of color touching..

I certainly hope this is a joke, because it's in poor taste, and a potentially damaging accusation, to accuse a comic dealer of color touching... (tsk)

I don't know who the group owners are, but I'd like to see embarrassing photos of *THEM* on Facebook. (shrug)

I got the sense that these are friends of Harley's in his "non comic" life since his prom date from back in the day is a member of the group.

I got the sense that these are friends of Harley's in his "non comic" life since his prom date from back in the day is a member of the group.

With friends like these... (who needs enemies?) doh!

Come on it's a joke people..seriously..Thank goodness no one has any freaky pics of me to post anywhere. I mean OK there are some showy pics of me..but I know personally who has them and if they ever got posted anywhere I would know whose door to knock at about it.

But seriously..some pictures guys send me are hilarious. I know they are trying to impress (which is weird because why send your "manly" pics to a married and tells everyone she's married woman anyway.) I would be way more impressed if guys sent me pictures of their comic books.

That being said I don't think any of them ever think I would keep the pictures. I keep every single picture.

Seriously never take these pictures unless you are prepared to be mocked when someone on the web finds them and puts them up for all to see. It happens...

Why would it be a bad thing to say someone could restore a comic anyway? Seriously? Some people do it. I said nothing about undisclosed retouching did I? I know plenty of people who would like to be able to do a little restoration and body work on themselves.

So you think it's okay to spread accusations (even in jest) about a noted dealer in a field he has made into a career?

And you think it's okay to do it on a public internet forum that is commonly spidered and archived so that parts of a thread can be googled and viewed even years later?

(shrug)

Why would it be a bad thing to say someone could restore a comic anyway? Seriously? Some people do it. I said nothing about undisclosed retouching did I?

In this case though you said it about Harley Yee. Harley pretty much only sells high grade books. The legitimate form of restoration in the market is taking a near-death beater and restoring it back to something you'd feel safe touching and holding again without fearing the book would fall apart in your hands. Since Harley doesn't typically sell that kind of book, the primary use of color touching for a dealer like him is to do it slightly with the intent to deceive buyers by turning an already-high-grade comic into an even-higher-grade comic. Anyone who does this kind of work doesn't disclose it, otherwise, they wouldn't do it in the first place, because restoring an already-high-grade book and disclosing it reduces its value to a lower point than before the restoration was ever applied. Lack of disclosure when slightly restoring high grade books is implied. A few high-grade dealers used to do this in the 1980s and 1990s, and those dealers still have a black mark on their names today, over a decade since they did any of their slight restoration.

The last thing a high-grade dealer like Harley wants to be known as is a "master of color touch." However, within the context you said it in, it was clear to me that you were kidding and didn't mean it. Poor taste, but unintentional.