• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November 2009 Heritage Auction

828 posts in this topic

i missed out on the Ibis 1 ® by ~$6.

of course, the max bid of whomever won it might have been much higher than that, but i think whomever won the book got an incredible deal so congrats to him or her!

Bummer. In my opinion, you can never pay too much for an Ibis 1. ;)

Okay, but in all seriousness, I could stare at that beautiful Raboy cover all day.

(thumbs u

it was a VF+ and hammered with juice for less than $400.

(shrug)

Seems like a great price. I know I've bid on a few Ibis #1's over the years and they always sold for more than I was willing to go

i missed out on the Ibis 1 ® by ~$6.

of course, the max bid of whomever won it might have been much higher than that, but i think whomever won the book got an incredible deal so congrats to him or her!

Bummer. In my opinion, you can never pay too much for an Ibis 1. ;)

Okay, but in all seriousness, I could stare at that beautiful Raboy cover all day.

(thumbs u

it was a VF+ and hammered with juice for less than $400.

(shrug)

If anyone wants it (ok, wants to buy it), :hi:

Ibis1.jpg

thats one way to interpret these lower sales. The other is a small collector base that eagerly paid up years ago at auction, now meeting continued lower demand going forward for esoteric titles. It could be an economic driven lull for these books, sure. But we see high demand books still breaking records right now too.

There were too many auctions all at the same time. That combined with the economy = lower sales prices. The market can't absorb 5 million dollars worth of inventory in 1 month.

If I recall correctly, there have been a couple of 5 million dollar Heritage comic auctions in the past and the market had no problem absorbing that. I've read all of the comments here, and I still believe it all has to do with a softening in demand for non-mainstream Golden Age (think about what happened to pulps) and the overally crummy economy.

Yeah but Heritage wasn't auctioning off $5MIL a month with other competitors out there doing the same.

Just way too many auctions running and it will definitely cause the market to take a big hit.

Either they will have to run less auctions (ie learn how to run a little leaner by restructuring just like every single person now has to) or consignors will stop selling their books. Either way it will regulate itself at some point because nobody (auction houses or sellers) want to see the market implode.

I can speak for Mound City: We had a deadline of Nov. and we met it. I am sorry there were so many other great Auctioneers with sales the same month we had to sell in. I would have liked more time to get our act together. I also knew if we went last we would get creamed, so I went first.

Rob Classic

Of course the amount of material was large but if it wasn't for the economy, there would be more buyers and less sellers. Auction houses are hired to sell not make profits for the sellers. It is not up to them to regulate the amount of material. People with books need to hold them right now or expect that it could be a firesale. It is no different than the stock market.