• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape Removal Experiment 101101706

35 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have worked on about 5 tape jobs so far so I have had a chance to practice a little. This is GA Daredevil #111 from 1954 and is in fair condition. Here is what the tape situation looks like on the back cover.

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

I will be using a solvent called Bestine to remove the tape and adhesive. Here you can see I am lifting the tape using a spatula and an eye dropper to distribute the solvent. You can see near the spatula how its wet.

DSC00869.jpg

Once the tape is removed the glue needs to removed. The Solvent makes the paper surface hard while loosening the adhesive allowing me to scrape it off with the spatula. The little pieces you see below the spatula is the adhesive balled up.

DSC00871.jpg

Here is how it came out with all off the tape and adhesive is gone. What do you think? I will do the front cover next which is worse.

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00873.jpg

Hey, that's pretty cool. I'd be wary of trying it on a pricey vintage book, but on a cheaper one it's something to consider.

Does the Bestine stain the cover, or change its consistency at all? (I guess it might be hard to tell with this book...)

Hey, that's pretty cool. I'd be wary of trying it on a pricey vintage book, but on a cheaper one it's something to consider.

I would be too since I am new at it and haven't seen all the potental problems that could come up. I still have several low value tape victims to practice on.

Does the Bestine stain the cover, or change its consistency at all? (I guess it might be hard to tell with this book...)

I am still too new at this to tell if the feel of it is different but the reason I like it is because it doesn't change the inks or shine, doesn't bleach or clean the cover in any way. I do get tide lines as with any solvent where the edge of the solvent had dried but remidied that by doing a quick wash (30 seconds) with the bestine. I am excited to work on the front cover today and will post my results tonight or tommorow.

Hey there, as promised here is the front side of DD #111.

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00884.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00889.jpg

I had to first remove the front cover from the pages. It wasn’t attached by the original staples anymore but someone stapled 2 new ones to hold it in place.

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

Ok so here I show how much adhesive I had to remove as opposed to the actual piece to the right of it.

DSC00891.jpg

Here it is done.

DSC00892.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

Here I decided to remove the writing.

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

Next I plan to dry press it so I can join the two half’s back together again with thin Japan paper.

Try a mixture of xylene and toluene.

Carefully, preferably outside, or massively ventilated. Not stuff to piddle around

with.

He and I have had that discussion several times already. He does his solvent cleaning wearing a hazmat suit with a respirator.

this book was a total mess, cover was re-attached poorly by one of it's previous owners. i have full confidence that you will be able to restore it to a nice presentable condition (thumbs u

we all deserve a second chance, i'm glad i can help make that happen, even if it is just a small contribution.

Try a mixture of xylene and toluene.

Carefully, preferably outside, or massively ventilated. Not stuff to piddle around

with.

He and I have had that discussion several times already. He does his solvent cleaning wearing a hazmat suit with a respirator.

Yup Yup. I first dabbled without protection and I have allergies not to mention they can cause neurological damage so I dont take any risk now and would recommend full protection before you consider using any toxic solvents. One time is one to many.

this book was a total mess, cover was re-attached poorly by one of it's previous owners. i have full confidence that you will be able to restore it to a nice presentable condition (thumbs u

we all deserve a second chance, i'm glad i can help make that happen, even if it is just a small contribution.

I appreciate the opportunity do work on some of your books and get your feedback on how they come out. I am also glad you are interested in less is more. I am trying to do the least possible and stay within the realm of my abilities ATM.

I looked up Bestine and it looks like it is straight heptane which has higher exposure limits than either xylene or toluene. It'll still blow you up at ridiculously low levels in the atmosphere but if the outcome were equivalent, I'd probably choose the heptane in a well-ventilated area with a well-fitted respirator.

It is manufactured by the folks that make rubber cement.