• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PROOF Appreciation thread!

108 posts in this topic

It seems that sales on issue #1 of this relaunch / mini didn't pick up from the regular series.

Why didn't you people buy this so I can keep reading it? :slapfight:

It's such a tough sell to get people off the Marvel/DC now a days. I too love this book and pitch it to my LCS owner all the time. It's actually one of my favorite titles I buy. (thumbs u

He used to only order 2 copies. One for me and one for the new comic rack. But the extra copy rarely sold. He did stock up on the Image First #1 and the trades, but people just aren't trying it. (shrug)

He did order a 1/2 dozen of the Endangered #1. But I bet it hurt sales that he had to bag and board the comic due to the nudity in the issue. That stops new people from picking it up and flipping through to possible buy the #1. 2c

It's such a tough sell to get people off the Marvel/DC now a days.

I know that has always been a problem, but do you notice it getting worse?

None of the shops in my area order very much other than Marvel or DC. They don't buy indy books that I can flip through and decide to buy. It seems like this is worse now than ever and can only reflect the sad state of the current day LCSs.

I stopped going to shops and went to mail orders because the LCSs didn't have the variety I enjoy. Frankly, it wouldn't matter at all to me if all the shops in my area went under.

About a 1+1/2 ago I was talking to my LCS owner about this.

He said his new inventory was usually 60% Marvel 30% DC and 10% other stuff. With the 10% being a generous estimate. He just couldn't get people to stray off the Marvel/DC stuff.

I remember him telling me I was the only subscriber to a couple books and that when he ordered extras they wouldn't sell.

Well, he ended up selling his store to one of his employees this past April. He told me he needed a life change. He was sick of people coming into his store saying, "Wow, did you know there are going to be Pink Green Lanterns now!" Then he would have to spend his days trying to figure out how much of that he needed to order.

He's now going back to school to try and get a law degree. He said he still loves comics, but if he gets back into selling it won't be as a shop owner. It will be as a private dealer so he can strictly deal with the comics that interest him.

As for getting worse. The increase in prices to $3.99 for Marvels probably does hurt other books. Since the Marvel Zombies are still going to buy those books to keep their runs intact, it cuts down on the money they have left over to try new stuff.

I wrote my first letter to a comic a few months ago when I saw Alex Grecian was asking for Proof letters.

It got published in Proof: Endangered #2. It's the entire letters page. Check it out! :acclaim:

By the way, this is also another excuse to bump this thread and tell people to buy this comic! (thumbs u

I wrote my first letter to a comic a few months ago when I saw Alex Grecian was asking for Proof letters.

It got published in Proof: Endangered #2. It's the entire letters page. Check it out! :acclaim:

By the way, this is also another excuse to bump this thread and tell people to buy this comic! (thumbs u

Wow. I got my copy yesterday and haven't read the comic, but that was quite the letter. I need to go back and re-read the series again. It has been a while.

My first letter was also to Proof. It was published in an issue in the teens.