• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want a new CGC label

29 posts in this topic

Ok. So this is my first post. I'm new to the boards but have probably bought a lot of comics from some of you. I've been collecting comics for years and signatures for years and I like putting the two together. I think there should be a label for a signature not witnessed by CGC. I have signatures on comics with certificates of authenticity from very reputable places. I have pictures of the artist actually signing the comic. I've been getting these since before CGC existed. I believe that a qualified label lowers the value of a book. Why have the same label for pages missing from the comic as a signature on the comic. CGC has made new labels in the past and they've removed labels. such as modern. I would happily send in all my green label, qualified comics with their certificates of authenticity for a label that states "Non-witnessed, un-confirmed signature series." Anyone else with me?

You what...I'd have to agree with Stein, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the signed books that we've gotten over the years, from say, Dynamic Forces. They all come with COAs, and CGC knows the sigs enough to tell that they were indeed signed by the so and so, and if it comes with COA.

Most of those books are numbered too.

Ok. So this is my first post. I'm new to the boards but have probably bought a lot of comics from some of you. I've been collecting comics for years and signatures for years and I like putting the two together. I think there should be a label for a signature not witnessed by CGC. I have signatures on comics with certificates of authenticity from very reputable places. I have pictures of the artist actually signing the comic. I've been getting these since before CGC existed. I believe that a qualified label lowers the value of a book. Why have the same label for pages missing from the comic as a signature on the comic. CGC has made new labels in the past and they've removed labels. such as modern. I would happily send in all my green label, qualified comics with their certificates of authenticity for a label that states "Non-witnessed, un-confirmed signature series." Anyone else with me?

i think this is a great idea and I have thought about this too. I've noticed that when CGC feels a signature is authentic but not witnessed they will write something like "Jack Kirby" written in pen on inside cover" - if they think its not real they won't specify. There are reputable professionals/experts that do nothing but authentic old signatures and provide certificates. I think this could open up the market immensely for books that are signed by artists/writers/celebrities etc. that are no longer with us..

i completely agree. but more for the COA's than other non varified sigs for say people who have passed on. For COA's i think many of us are refering to books we get from Dymaic forces which in my opinion is the second most trusted sig place other than CGC, so i think maybe the idea of having a new label and including inside the case the COA would be a great idea.

A new label somehow legitimates the sig whether John Doe signed it or it came from Dynamic Forces. Too many possible future issues.

That's what I'm thinking. It's a good idea, and in a perfect world it wouldn't be abused, but this world is anything but perfect.

I don't see the need for it. I have signed books that I personally acquired that I intend to submit at some point. I'm not concerned that they'll get green labels because

1. I have no intention of selling them.

2. I know the autographs are authentic since I obtained them myself.

i think this is a great idea and I have thought about this too. I've noticed that when CGC feels a signature is authentic but not witnessed they will write something like "Jack Kirby" written in pen on inside cover" - if they think its not real they won't specify. There are reputable professionals/experts that do nothing but authentic old signatures and provide certificates. I think this could open up the market immensely for books that are signed by artists/writers/celebrities etc. that are no longer with us..

Nah, it has nothing to do with whether CGC thinks the signature is authentic or not - it's a simple matter of whether they can make out the name written on the book. If they can, it goes on the label.

I had a slabbed Cerebus counterfeit that Dave Sim, joker that he is, had signed "Frank Frazetta" on the inside front cover (for counterfeits, he always signs it with someone else's name). On the CGC label it stated "Signed by Frank Frazetta on the inside front cover" - I really don't think CGC in any way thought that was a real Frazetta signature :)

It isn't whether they can tell whose sig it's supposed to be, it's whether the label is Universal or Qualified. For Universal labels they indicate what name is written, for Qualified labels they're very consistent in only putting "Name written ..." and not saying what the name is.

The first book is mine, the second was posted by another board member. I think it's pretty obvious whose names are on my book (certainly CGC should have recognized the names) but it's definitely obvious what name is on the other book:

SupermanBatman4GermanCGC98.jpg82002.jpg

Looks to me like CGC is intentionally avoiding anything that looks like "signed by" on their Qualified labels. You can maybe get the actual signer's name written if you go with a Universal label, but then you also take the grade hit.

For Universal labels they indicate what name is written, for Qualified labels they're very consistent in only putting "Name written ..." and not saying what the name is.

Nuh uh. And CGC has been anything but consistent on the matter, IMO.

006-5.jpg

002-12.jpg

Another case in point...pulled from a sales thread earlier tonight. Label doesn't read "name written".

photo-70.jpg

Looks very consistent to me as well. If the name is clearly legible, CGC states what was written. Otherwise it gets the "Name".

I get a headache thinking about all the headaches such a label would bring to CGC. I own Qualified books with unwitnessed signatures too and they work perfectly fine for me. :)

I don't think there's a reason for a new label for all the reasons mentioned here. The only issue I've ever had, and I'm mentioned this at a panel before, but if a comic was NEVER released without the signature I think it should get a blue label.

Most examples are small press, variants, or independents, but I think they should get a blue label. One good example would be some of the Ashcans that have been released where there were none released without the signature. But, it's such a small number of books, and I've seen the green label have nothing but a positive effect on the resale value, so I don't think there's really a "problem". :)

Keep in mind that entire idea of trusted witnesses is to prevent fraud. I'm not implying that your "reputable" sources are anything but, however once you open the flood gates and loosen the grip on what is considered to be authenticate then people will ultimately take advantage and the knock offs will appear. Face it, it's happen in every other hobby were signature legitimacy is called into question.

Just because CGC are able to recognize a signature does not have anything to do with it's legitimacy; that's assuming that the only person in the entire world who can draw that signature is the creator. I'd also like to point out that sometimes creators change their signatures and CGC haven't seen it yet; that's why we fill out those lovely forms for them and don't just leave it up to them to guess "who signed that book" 2crantrant