• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT SUES JIM SHOOTER

145 posts in this topic

Its not like Valiant owns those characters.

They just liscenced them!

Exactly Valiant does and have never owned those characters just like Marvel never owned Conan or G.I. Joe. talk abot a bad media move on the new Valiant owners part.

This is the only thing new Valiant owners have given us in a year. very disappointed in the new owners.

i guess we'll find out, but maybe the most recent piece of work he did with them had a non-compete clause?

i can't imagine anything from 15+ years ago holding up. and just being in the comic biz is wayyyyy too broad, particularly for that long. dunno how they can have a non-compete re: these characters either, given they have no right to them (or are they claiming they somehow do?) anymore...so not a compete.

just stretching here...but if the characters were PD, maybe there could be a non-compete...

really silly given they have nothing to gain from this and no "trade secrets" for him to steal, unless there are a bunch of unpublished scripts for these characters shooter plans on using

OR, and now I'm being creative

maybe they'll claim that he wants to use plotlines he developed while with Valiant (and thus they claim they own), but didn't get published before his departure ... I guess their argument could be that he was paid for this work, they own it, blah blah

I shouldn't speculate and potentially give people ideas though.

But generally, in NY, these non-competes need some sort of specialized inside knowledge or something like that --- knowing the recipe for the secret sauce, client lists, a head full of unpublished plotlines...

Excerpted from Wikipedia:

Golden Books Family Entertainment was acquired by Classic Media Inc. and Random House in a bankruptcy court auction for $84.4 million on August 16, 2001.

In 2002, the rights to Magnus, Robot Fighter reverted to Random House, which, at that point, acquired Western Publishing's assets. It made a contract with Dark Horse Comics to reprint the original series.

Random House licensed Dark Horse Comics to reprint the Gold Key in the form of a hardcover anthology series, similar to the DC Archive series, in 2007.

Turok was licensed in 2009 for similar archives.

=======================

So there're no problem with the characters or Dark Horse... the lawsuit is SPECIFICALLY with Jim Shooter.

So there're no problem with the characters or Dark Horse... the lawsuit is SPECIFICALLY with Jim Shooter.

hm

Maybe there is something to Blob's assumption Shooter scripted some plotlines that now Valiant wants to keep to itself. Another Unity-type universe kickoff maybe that would bring a group of characters together before launching their individual series?

I could see Magnus, Solar, and Turok coming together again like in Unity to understand what happened to them over the past decade. Shooter could have originally pitched an idea like this for the VE crew before DH grabbed him.

(shrug)

Apparently the posts regarding this have been blocked on VEI's side of the shared messageboard they have with Valiantman's Valiantfans board. Probably for legal reasons, and a good reason for Valiantman and VEI to seperate and part ways. Quite awkward for Valiantman (Greg), IMO. Hope he fares well in all this. He's a good and very knowledgeable guy...(even though I've been banned from his board numerous times...) :hi:

Apparently the posts regarding this have been blocked on VEI's side of the shared messageboard they have with Valiantman's Valiantfans board. Probably for legal reasons, and a good reason for Valiantman and VEI to seperate and part ways. Quite awkward for Valiantman (Greg), IMO. Hope he fares well in all this. He's a good and very knowledgeable guy...(even though I've been banned from his board numerous times...) :hi:

I am still able to see all posts (I know of) regarding this in the "Registered Members Only" forum. So WTF are you talking about?

I am still able to see all posts (I know of) regarding this in the "Registered Members Only" forum. So WTF are you talking about?

CKB is correct... there are three pages of discussion about this lawsuit on the ValiantFans.com messageboard.

So, I guess I'm being called out... because of... what again? (shrug)

Don't take that tone with me, young man... (tsk)

My info came from someone who ISN'T banned from the boards. Maybe their info is incorrect, and if it is I apologize. Maybe posts YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT have been removed or blocked. Have you accessed the board through the VEI link? Anyway, my POINT is still VERY valid.

(...and I still have one of the biggest raw collections of Valiants in the world, so there... :banana:)

Don't take that tone with me, young man... (tsk)

My info came from someone who ISN'T banned from the boards. Maybe their info is incorrect, and if it is I apologize. Maybe posts YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT have been removed or blocked. Have you accessed the board through the VEI link? Anyway, my POINT is still VERY valid.

(...and I still have one of the biggest raw collections of Valiants in the world, so there... :banana:)

You need better sources with better info.

CKB is correct... there are three pages of discussion about this lawsuit on the ValiantFans.com messageboard.

Settle down, junior. :preach:

NOBODY'S 'callin' you out'....where do you live, in the Wild West? :slapfight:

From my understanding, the posts were blocked from Dino's end of the messageboard, as of YESTERDAY. Maybe he unblocked them TODAY. I don't know, so don't slamf**k me over it. :makepoint:

So what's YOUR take on all this, Greg? hm

From my understanding, the posts were blocked from Dino's end of the messageboard, as of YESTERDAY. Maybe he unblocked them TODAY. I don't know, so don't slamf**k me over it. :makepoint:

As far as I know, Dino doesn't have any administrative access to the messageboard.

For those who are administrators, no blocking or deleting of posts has occurred.

For myself, I have not said anything on the ValiantFans.com messageboard about this case.

:foryou:

WELL, I had enough GOOD INFO to break the story here, Chris. :headbang:

What an attitude! :slapfight:

How long are you going to hold a grudge against me over the VCB? It's going on five years now.... zzz

As far as I know, Dino doesn't have any administrative access to the messageboard.

For those who are administrators, no blocking or deleting of posts has occurred.

For myself, I have not said anything on the ValiantFans.com messageboard about this case.

:foryou:

THANKS for clarifying things, Greg. I appreciate it, even if it's been forced from you (and on you). :tonofbricks:

I hope all fares well for you out of this. I can see how things can easily become complicated over this. Good Luck! :wishluck:

WELL, I had enough GOOD INFO to break the story here, Chris. :headbang:

What an attitude! :slapfight:

How long are you going to hold a grudge against me over the VCB? It's going on five years now.... zzz

Before you go accusing, think about doing some verification first. I'm sure Greg would have answered a PM from you here.

As far as grudges go, I have no idea what you mean. I would have made the same posts on this regardless of who the messenger was.

Before you go accusing, think about doing some verification first. I'm sure Greg would have answered a PM from you here.

As far as grudges go, I have no idea what you mean. I would have made the same posts on this regardless of who the messenger was.

rantrant

In the 1st place, who did I accuse of what? I made a statement that it SEEMS LIKE the messages were blocked from VEI's end. doh!

In the 2nd place, what makes you think I haven't PM'd Greg (as if he would answer me on this matter...). (shrug)

And the grudge was over me 'devaluing' you copy of the Valiant Continuity Bible, when I made copies of it for board members from the copy I bought from Bob Layton, back in 2005. It PO'd you so much, that you sold your copy... (thumbs u

rantrant

In the 1st place, who did I accuse of what? I made a statement that it SEEMS LIKE the messages were blocked from VEI's end. doh!

In the 2nd place, what makes you think I haven't PM'd Greg (as if he would answer me on this matter...). (shrug)

And the grudge was over me 'devaluing' you copy of the Valiant Continuity Bible, when I made copies of it for board members from the copy I bought from Bob Layton, back in 2005. It PO'd you so much, that you sold your copy... (thumbs u

Glad you remember it so well. I'm stumped.

From the ValiantFans.com discussion:

Here it is:

No documents yet pertaining to the case.

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC vs SHOOTER JAMES C

Case 602946-2009

9/24/2009 SUMMONS AND VERIFIED COMPLAINT

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=602946-2009

Until we can see a copy of the "SUMMONS AND VERIFIED COMPLAINT"

we are forced to either do a lot of speculating, or wait.

That being said, we know that VEI said they would begin generating comics by the end of 2008.

There was a time when the VEI website mentioned that they were searching for an Editor-In-Chief.

From the earlier post we see that Jim Shooter worked for VEI as of December 3, 2008.

Since we know that Jim worked for VEI prior to that date,

we can assume that the December 3, 2008 work must have

been "something different than before".

What Jim did before December 3, 2008 was to create a couple short comic stories

(which we saw in the Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong hardcovers).

The VEI website no longer says that they are searching for an Editor-In-Chief.

Can we not (reasonably) conclude that Jim Shooter was VEI's Editor-In-Chief

starting on December 3, 2008?

If that is reasonable, then it is also reasonable to assume that the Editor-In-Chief job

would have at least been intended to last beyond July 2009, when we saw the announcement

that Jim Shooter would be writing comics for Dark Horse.

I don't know what is in the "SUMMONS AND VERIFIED COMPLAINT",

but I can at least reasonably speculate that it relates to the information

and reasonable conclusions above.

From there, we're probably going to want to wait and see the document.

But, by all means, continue the discussion... I'm just not sure how many of us

know what we're talking about yet.