• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Star Spangled War Stories 154

16 posts in this topic

X-Men 42 was published back in 1968, I was told by another board member that chipping does not occur after the mid sixties. I mentioned that the X-men 42 issue of mine had a chip from the corner and was pretty sure that's what it is. Now looking at your D.C. book that was printed in 71 shows chipping as well. So I guess what I'm saying is that chipping doesn't really have an exact date. I read that Marvel had a tight buget and couldn't afford to replace the blades that cut the comics every 5000 runs, instead it was around 10,000 cuts. So here is your book from 71 that clearly shows it occurs beyond the mid 60's? Anyway cool cover, the art on this it's very expressive.

I don't think the chipping you see here is the same as "marvel chipping". I think this looks like straight up damage.

I'd say it's a 4.0-4.5

+1

DRX

+ 3

There's a huge difference between actual Marvel chipping, and edge damage. Many comics from the 50's through the 70's have what looks like chip damage at the bottom, due to being stuffed into a comics spindle rack. The damage on this book looks to have occured after printing, and is not a printing defect, IMO, as Marvel chips are.

The coated wire frame on a spindle rack doesn't even come near the area where the damaged occured on this comic, try again. :)

No need to be a d*ckwad about this. I said the damage here WASN'T chipping from the publisher. I rounded out my post by talking about other damage that is mistaken for chips. I NEVER said it pertained to this issue. What's YOUR problem with me?

I don't have a problem with you, just trying to get the facts straight. You mentioned "...due to being stuffed into a comics spindle rack" and I was trying to point out that the wired rack doesn't encounter the top of the comic or any other comic when being placed in the spindle rack, so the damaged we see is caused from something else.

To me it appears to be chipping and closer inspection might verify that. From what I see it does'nt looked pulled or banged as you can tell from the white edges radiating outward torwards the inked outer layer. I believe this fell out eventually from time but the intial damaged was caused from chipping, probably caused from a low grade paper.

I don't think the chipping you see here is the same as "marvel chipping". I think this looks like straight up damage.

I'd say it's a 4.0-4.5

+1

DRX

Yeah, 4.5 tops - and Marvel chipping is straight up damage as well. I never understood the logic of going easy on a flaw just because it's common.