• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery Comics 5 on eBay

29 posts in this topic

P.S. This book is Entirely complete. There are no pages or coupons missing. If you buy this book and find it has anything missing I will refund you 150% of your winning bid.

shocked.gif

That's risky!

If a certain doctor should win it... *snip* *snip*

"Oh I found a cut-out!"

foreheadslap.gif

What I do not like is the fact that he grades the book VF, MAYBE VF-, yet it was CGC graded 5.5 Fine- with extensive restoration. The book has been removed from the holder in order to raise the grade! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I guess he did not agree with CGC, but it would have been nice for him to "tell it like it is!"

Timely

What I do not like is the fact that he grades the book VF, MAYBE VF-, yet it was CGC graded 5.5 Fine- with extensive restoration. The book has been removed from the holder in order to raise the grade! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I guess he did not agree with CGC, but it would have been nice for him to "tell it like it is!"

Timely

Tough call...

If he didn't put CGC in the title to attract buyers then why must he mention that it was ever CGC graded?

confused-smiley-013.gif

What I do not like is the fact that he grades the book VF, MAYBE VF-, yet it was CGC graded 5.5 Fine- with extensive restoration. The book has been removed from the holder in order to raise the grade!

Timely

I don't understand? I started a whole thread about this the other day.. The book didn't look accurately graded to me so I asked everyone for advice about what I should do. Most people agreed that based on the scans the book was undergraded. I asked if I were to remove the book from the slab should I mention its previous CGC grade and the consensus was that no, there was no need... Here's the thread..

Link to previous thread

Timely

Tough call...

If he didn't put CGC in the title to attract buyers then why must he mention that it was ever CGC graded?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree it's a tough call. I have had GA CGC 7.5 that I don't think were as nice looking as this book in it's current state...

I agree it's a tough call. I have had GA CGC 7.5 that I don't think were as nice looking as this book in it's current state...

I also have a CGC 7.5 Golden age book (an issue of Star Spangled Comics) that does not look nearly as nice as this one. Thats what prompted me to remove the book from its holder. 5.5 just seems wrong for this book..

I'm certainly not trying to pull one over on anyone.. if enough people feel I should add the original CGC grade into the auction I'll edit the auction description. What does everyone think?

I also have a CGC 7.5 Golden age book (an issue of Star Spangled Comics) that does not look nearly as nice as this one. Thats what prompted me to remove the book from its holder. 5.5 just seems wrong for this book..

I'm certainly not trying to pull one over on anyone.. if enough people feel I should add the original CGC grade into the auction I'll edit the auction description. What does everyone think?

As long as you don't invoke the CGC brand name to hype your comic, then I see no need to let anyone know what CGC thinks about your comic.

We all have seen books that differ 0.5-1.0 from where we thought the grade should be. What you are saying is the books grade differed from a F- to a VF- or a 5.5 to a 7.5. You ask the other posters their view based on a scanned cover. If you wish I can submit to you other books in which the defects cannot adequately be seen in a scan or are internal. What you are really saying is that the whole CGC grading system means little to you. That is ok. You are really looking for buyers who can't grade and or might be new and don't yet understand about CGC. That is OK. I guess fools will have their money taken one way or the other. I simply choose to sell CGC books for what they say given that CGC is the "industry standard". Anyone can always move to an alternative position and write their own standards and ignore CGC. Clearly that is what you are doing. The auction once again illustrates my reason for only buying CGC books. The book is an industry standard F- (until regraded) which you are calling a VF-/VF. You are not unique as I've seen many others sell the same way. Some buy books from Heritage and take the books out of the containers and sell the books raw on E-Bay. I've seen this a number of times. Imagine some poor comic buyer scaping together enough money for six months to buy a Marvel Mystery 5 , paying a VF price, and submits the book to CGC who says you have a F-? The buyer clearly overpaid. If he likes the book maybe it's OK?? He still overpaid if he tries to resell the book CGC'd. In most cases you have explained why high priced raw books are put up for auction ungraded. The seller clearly hopes a restored book or an overgraded book will not be returned by a buyer. That's my view/ right or wrong.

What you are really saying is that the whole CGC grading system means little to you.

lol when did I say that? Almost my entire collection is CGCed. No offense, but you are WAY off on this one. This book doesn't have interior defects bringing the grade down. I looked through it. Besides, anything that major would've been noted on the label. I got the opinions of over a dozen forum members before unslabbing that book. If everyone feels the book is an 8.0.. how is it overgrading to call the book an 8.0? There's nothing hidden in those scans.

How about that daredevil book people were talking about a few weeks ago.. where the slab was cracked open and two pages were missing.. now that the book is no longer CGCed if the seller goes to sell it should he still call it complete because the CGC did? Of course not. In my opinion the grade on this book was wrong.. so much so that I decided to open the slab. I've bought almost $100,000 in books from heritage since they opened... 99% of which have been CGCed.. this is the first one I've ever removed from the case.. You make it sound like I'm running some sort of criminal de-slabbing syndicate..

You make it sound like I'm running some sort of criminal de-slabbing syndicate..

::psst - cheezit it - da cops!::

Actually I see absolutley nothing wrong with your approach here. If that is a 5.5 then I am an industry standard blathering insufficiently_thoughtful_person. The concept that CGC canot make an error like this one is preposterous. You really went the extra step by seeking a consensus here on how to approach the selling of this book. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My only concern is what if the factors that led this book to receive a 5.5 are not visible from the scan....stains..creases that don't break color...interior rust stains from staples...torn pages,...the list goes on and on....did anyone in the other thread ( And I apologize because I did not read it) bother to get the graders notes to find out why they gave it a 5.5 in the first place??...You just can't tell everything from a scan,...How many times have you bought a NM comic on E-bay that looked great in the scan only to get it and find out it's only a VF?....now isn't it possible a scan of a book that looks like a VF can possibly turn out to be a F, or in this case a F-??

I was not aware of the other tread, whether or not to disclose the CGC info, nor am I making a moral judgment call against Filter. I think we all have seen CGC books that we felt were undergraded. My concerns are with extent of the grading difference. A VF or VF- is a high grade book, a Fine- is midgrade. I feel there is a problem when the CGC grade and individual grade is THAT FAR OFF (4 or 5 levels in this case). Either CGC really F'ed up on grading this book or Filter is being a little optomistic!

No doubt the scan of the book looks inpressive, but as others have said here, that's not everything.

I'd sure like to see the CGC notes on this book.

Timely

"Actually I see absolutley nothing wrong with your approach here. If that is a 5.5 then I am an industry standard blathering insufficiently_thoughtful_person. The concept that CGC canot make an error like this one is preposterous".

I respectfully disagree with the approach. I will admit that CGC could have erred on the labeling on this book. The proper recourse in my mind was to resubmit the book to CGC for a regrade and not to attempt to sell the book ungraded. The risk is that the grade would come out the same or lower on a resubmit and then we are back to whose standards are right?

i'm leaning towards agreeing with jkrk on this one.

CGC assigned it a 5.5. admittedly, it is THEIR opinion, but their opinion is also the industry standard.

a "VF range (maybe VF-)" is not a 5.5, in the way that a 9.0 is not a 9.6. what filter could have done, was not assign it any grade at all and let the scans speak for themselves.

by assigning the grade himself, despite having it professionally appraised, is no way different than all the over-grading that occurs on ebay.

the book should have been re-graded if filter felt the book was under-graded.

for those who disagree - how would you feel if you bought an ungraded book described as VF, had it sent in to CGC to only have it return as Fine-minus? you would feel CERTAINLY justified in thinking the seller overgraded his book.

anyways - i added a bunch of shill-bids to your supes... good luck with it.

Look, the book was graded 5.5 by CGC for some reason. Maybe you should call them and get the grading notes. As you well know, it's impossible to grade a book based on the scan alone, so it is possible there is something that doesn't show up on the scan well that makes this book a FN- instead of the VF grade you claim.