• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery Comics 5 on eBay

29 posts in this topic

1) CGC is not an Industry Standard - nothing can BE an Industry Standard unless the standards themselves are revealed, and CGC has not and most likely will not do that.

2) Go back and read the thread Filtre81 created before he put this on ebay

3) Call CGC for grader notes

Last though - Too bad these opinionswere not raised in the thread he asked in.

1) CGC is not an Industry Standard - nothing can BE an Industry Standard unless the standards themselves are revealed, and CGC has not and most likely will not do that.

if the whole collecting community in the world had to select only one grading authority in comics, i'm sure few will disagree that the authority selected would be CGC.

agreed, they have not revealted their standards - but if you consider the significance of their grading on ebay, comiclink and otherwise, and consider how much faith collectors put into CGC's grading by virtue of the multiples paid for CGC-graded comics, and further - consider that many individuals go so far as not even looking at the comic before bidding (i.e. only buying the slab) - should be evidence enough that CGC's grading is the leader, if not the standard in grading, in the comic-collecting world.

to many, a grade isn't a grade unless it's "CONFIRMED" by CGC.

i don't know how much more of a MONOPOLY CGC can have on grading (unless you extol the virtues of CGG). as such, if CGC isn't THE standard, you are essentially telling me there is_no standard.

just because CGC can monopolize grading and keep their "standards" to themselves, doesn't suggest that they cannot ALSO specifically represent the industry standard with respect to grading.

being the undisputed leader in an industry to me, defines an industry standard.

what filter could have done, was not assign it any grade at all and let the scans speak for themselves.

You could be right about this. Originally that is what I planned on doing. A few people suggested though that in addition to large scans I should also assign the book my own grade so thats what I did. To be honest, I would've felt much more comfortable not assigning my own grade on this book and just letting the scans do the talking. But then again, some people got upset at me a few months ago when I listed a few auctions with large scans and no grade listed.. so I guess its just a personal preference.. Some people like it one way some like it the other.

As for everything not showing up in scans.. you're absolutely right. No scan is going to show 100% of the defects on a book. But if there were any major defects not evident in the scan I would certainly mention them. The scans are about as accurate as I could make them. Obviously grading is subjective.. I can't say for sure if you saw this book if you'd call it an 8.0, or a 7.5, or what... but I do know enough about grading to say with quite a degree of certainty, this book is NOT a 5.5. Even if you were judging by Bronze or Modern standards this book isn't a 5.5... I think if you saw the book in person you'd agree. To be honest I thought about resubmitting the book to the CGC.. but I really wanted some nice golden age books to list this week at the same time as the Superman 1, so it didn't look like my Superman 1 came out of nowhere. If this book were resubmitted to the CGC my GUESS is that it would come back a 7.5. Who knows.. I guess the best I can do is offer a full refund if the buyer is unhappy with my grade. I only typically list 1 or 2 auctions a week on eBay.. so all it would take is one negative feedback for me to lose my powerseller status.. so I'm certainly not out to get a buyer mad at me smile.gif

Thanks for the bids on the Sups! thumbsup2.gif

if the whole collecting community in the world had to select only one grading authority in comics, i'm sure few will disagree that the authority selected would be CGC.

Such an "if" has little validity since the majority of collectors do not use CGC, nor have they done any type of comparisons between CGC and regular grading. Their opinion of CGC being an Industry Standard would not be backed by experience, just heresay.

being the undisputed leader in an industry to me, defines an industry standard.

It may to you but it simply is not so. A standard requires specifications. CGC can never be more than a "leader" among the commercial grading companies.

Right on pov... thumbsup2.gif...and don't forget that CGC also veers from the "Industry Standard" by not assigning an alpha grade to each slabbed book... 893frustrated.gif

I'll explain my viewpoint. I buy very few books with a cost below $500. Ninety nine percent of my volume is done with on line auction houses. That is my world. Before CGC I would attend a number of conventions and buy 1or 2% of what I am buying now. My inceased purchases was solely due to a third party grading. How much new hobby has flowed into the hobby mainly due to the independent garding? My opinion (without a vast knowledge of the entire business) is that the vast percentage of high priced book sales (not total sales-since we are not talking about the tens of millions(?) of lower priced book sales that are meaningless to grade) take place under a cGC grading system. Am I correct? does anyone have the numbers? If my assumption is correct then the lions share of capital respects CGC as the consensus authority. I suspect that the consensus turns to CGC as the industry grading authority at this moment. Therefore their effect on book pricing is of paramount consideration for a reseller. My view is that whether their standard is the "correct standard" can only be determined by the money changing hands. My perception is that the vast majority of buyers accepts their standards.