• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaines File copies help?

25 posts in this topic

Back to comics: keep in mind the Harvey horror warehouse find of the 1980's contained as many as 200 high grade (VF and up) copies per issue!

Do you have the actual issues and quantities found? In most cases, there are only three or four high-grade copies CGC'd at this time. While I'm sure there are more out there (I have a few that aren't CGC'd), I would be surprised if there were more than 10-20 of most issues.

Do you have the actual issues and quantities found? In most cases, there are only three or four high-grade copies CGC'd at this time. While I'm sure there are more out there (I have a few that aren't CGC'd), I would be surprised if there were more than 10-20 of most issues.

Sadly, when the Harvey warehouse find was "discovered" I don't think anyone actually sat down and took an inventory of issue #'s, grades, quantities per issue. The hoard was divied up to my knowledge by several New York dealers who openly stated that certain issues had as many as 200 copies each ranging from VF to NM. I have been told this "find" covered nearly all their horror line with the POSSIBLE exceptions of early issues (first 6-8) and a few oddballs such as Chamber of Chills #24. DON'T BE SURPRISED if there are more than 10-20, as even you yourself stated you have some that aren't CGC'd. I do as well, in fact nearly half of my complete Witches Tales run are warehouse find copies that were easy to come by and I have no intention of slabbing them in the near future. If you bird-dog eBay and CBG, you'll see after awhile that Harvey horror is fairly easy to get in higher grade compared to other pre-code publishing houses.

If you bird-dog eBay and CBG, you'll see after awhile that Harvey horror is fairly easy to get in higher grade compared to other pre-code publishing houses.

There's no doubt about that. Unfotunately, most of the File Copies do not have the greatest page quality, but they do have very nice colors and gloss.

Thanks for the info.

Unfotunately, most of the File Copies do not have the greatest page quality

The page quality is all over the place, ranging from cream to offwhite all the way up to white. Since Gaines lived in New York where the humidity is fairly high in the summer, this doesn't surprise me...but I wish I knew where the white-paged copies were in his stacks to figure out how the pages were so well preserved as compared to the cream copies.