• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This The Real Deal?

79 posts in this topic

I've stumbled across a lot of Wolverine books for sale, and the buyer is stating that there is a Hulk #180, #181 and #182 in there, plus an Iron Fist #14 and #15. The asking price is around $475 for over 190 books, all Wolverine bar the five I've mentioned.

He only lives about 30 minutes away from me and doesn't want to split the lot. Now I'm thinking one of two things, either the Hulk books are reprints or something or the guy doesn't know what he's selling. I could get the money together to buy the books but I don't want to drop that much on something I know nothing about. My Marvel knowledge is pathetic.

Can anyone verify from this photo whether this is a genuine Hulk #181 or not? I've included a list of the books for sale beneath too, all in the $475 price.

Hulk181.jpg

List of books in lot:

Incredible Hulk 180-182

Wolverine Mini Series 1-4

Wolverine 1st Series 1-10, 12-144

Wolverine Saga 1-4

Wolverine Black Rio

Logan Shadow Society

Wolverine Doombringer

Wolverine Encylopedia 1 & 2

Wolverine in a Fury

Wolverine Evilution

Wolverine Rahne of Terra

Wolverine Knight of Terra

Wolverine Killing

Wolverine & Nick Fury - Scorpio Rising

Wolverine Shi No 1

Wolverine / Cable - Guts & Glory

Ironfist / Wolverine - The Return of K'un Lun 1-4

Wolverine Global Jeopardy

Wolverine & The Punisher - Damage in Evidence 1-3

Death Blow & Wolverine 1 & 2

Team X Team 7

Badrock & Wolverine

Wolverine / Gambit - Victims 1-4

Wolverine - Days of Furture Past 1-3

As a bonus you will also purchase Ironfist 14 & 15, which includes the 1st appearance of Sabre-Tooth. Plus the whole Weapon X Saga from Marvel Comics Presents

From the photo I'm thinking it may pull a 6.5/7.0 if the MVS is in there and that isn't a big stain at the top, I've mailed him about it and asked if he'd split the Hulk and Iron Fist books out of the lot.

Looks like a stain to me, but might be worth checking out.

I've driven farther than 30 minutes to see 50 long boxes of '90s books. When he asked me what I'd pay for them, I almost asked him for gas money. :cry:

lol

I may go over to take a look. I've always wanted a copy of that book just for the sake of it, but it's not a book I'd drop big money on so this one looks like a winner if he'll split it out. An Iron Fist #14 would be nice as well.

Looks like a stain to me, but might be worth checking out.

I've driven farther than 30 minutes to see 50 long boxes of '90s books. When he asked me what I'd pay for them, I almost asked him for gas money. :cry:

:roflmao: Did he Know they were worthles?

I would do a quick page count and check to see that both the Hulk 181 and IF 18 are complete (i.e. for the Hulk 181 not just marvel value stamp, but actual pages torn out or missing). There appears to be some circular artifact on the top right corner which might mean the book had a sticker on it and it was removed. It also looks like the whole right edge has some staining (moisture damage). Could just be an artifact of bad lighting or the mylar, but the bottom right edge looks like it has a darkened interior. Anyhow, it looks like the real deal and while I don't think it will be in the grade you're thinking, it would still be a good grab if the other keys are in mid-grade or better shape.

Could just be an artifact of bad lighting or the mylar, but the bottom right edge looks like it has a darkened interior

I've been looking at, too. If there's any interior tanning (cover/pages), CGC will hammer the book for that.

It's really hard to guage a grade from that photo. The more I look at it the less I think of it, then tell myself it's the mylar...

Comicwiz may be right and that could be sticker residue on the bag and not the comic