• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 42

12 posts in this topic

Why was bidding so restrained on this?

Link

Besides the fact that it didn't meet reserve, there were only two regular high end bidders, Qualitycomix and Silveracre.com. I thought TOS's from this period in 9.4 would be more desirable than this. I don't collect TOS anymore, but in my heyday I would have been all over this. TOS in the 40s in 9.4 is tough.

Bob Storms has had a 9.4 on his site for quite some time with no takers. So maybe the fact that there's one on the market eliminates the urgency to bid high for one on Ebay.

Now, if a 9.4 #41 suddenly hit Ebay, then you'd see sparks fly.

Bob Storms has had a 9.4 on his site for quite some time with no takers. So maybe the fact that there's one on the market eliminates the urgency to bid high for one on Ebay.

Now, if a 9.4 #41 suddenly hit Ebay, then you'd see sparks fly.

Bob's had cream to offwhite pages, though.

In any event, I take half of my question back. I was being dyslexic and misread the price of #41, $975, as being the Guide price for #42. $2125, the highest unsuccessful bid, is almost 4.4X of Guide for $42 ($485). So the bidding wasn't lackadaisical at all and Lauterbach was just holding out for a home run.

But I'm still surprised at the absence of any of the usual suspects in bidding for this book. Perhaps, as you say, there's no sense of "if I don't get it now, who knows if I'll ever get another chance".

I picked up a very solid copy in TOS #42 in CGC VF/NM 9.0 (with Off-White pages) for less than $550.00 two months ago. The interesting thing was that a #43 in the same grade went for $800.00 at the same time.

So maybe #42 is much easier to get?

Your absolutely right about TOS being abundant in high grade. I have a respectable 9.2 copy that I bought from Drummy some years back for under $1000.

I thought abount bidding on it but over 2 grand and the reserve not met. No way. TOS 43 is much rarer in high grade and Bob Storm has a cgc 9.0 for $850. I would bid $3000 easy for a TOS 43 cgc 9.4 but not for a TOS 42. TOS are the only books I collect but I'm not going to throw my money away to bid up a fairly common book. Just my opinion.

I agree with that. I've been watching this thread progress and been thinking to myself "wtf, very common?" I don't know about the Iron Fist issues, but those early Cap ones are very tough in 9.2/9.4

Brian

I agree with that. I've been watching this thread progress and been thinking to myself "wtf, very common?" I don't know about the Iron Fist issues, but those early Cap ones are very tough in 9.2/9.4

Brian

Those early Iron Fist stories are incredibly scarce - only your copies have them! 27_laughing.gif