• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have you sold off your run or set?

Why have you sold off your run or set?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Why have you sold off your run or set?

27 posts in this topic

When I started collecting back in 95 (I was 9 at the time) And stoped in 2000, sold off my collection simply because I lost interest. Now I'm back in the game mainly buying MM and trying to rebuild my Green Lantern & flash run.

I sold off my entire collection when I was 15 to pay some bills and buy a car. At the time

in the early 80s, it was worth 25k at that time. :acclaim: I sold it at the absolute worst

time ever. I remember only getting 3 or 4k for it. :tonofbricks: I stopped collecting

entirely. May 2008 I started adding up how much my collection would be worth

today....500k!!! :censored::o:sorry: I have stopped kicking myself for it now finally.

So, now I am trying to collect my favorites, for my daughters :luhv: college educations,

and it occupies my time being newly divorced. My biggest regret is selling my copy of

TOS 39, that if CGC would have been around then, would of definately gotten a 9.6...

:cloud9: it was perfect in every way! I paid $250 for it in 1975. :o Of course, if I did have

my old collection, my now ex-wife would of gotten half, so that makes the pain selling it a lot better!!! :applause::headbang:

It's interesting that there aren't many votes for selling off a run because it was too hard to fill the holes.

In another thread, someone mentioned that difficulty obtaining certain issues would eventually turn people off. I think early Detectives were an example (could be wrong going from memory).

Maybe it's not surprising that $$$$$ is by far the top reason. Only during times of complete necessity for funds does one sell off their prized collection complete or not!

You should have added another option: I sold it off because it was too easy to find the books.

I have amassed and sold off 4 main collections over the past 20 years, and it seemed that once the thrill of the hunt for books wore off I would start selling. Outside of the last collection, which was liquidated for an investment, I have tended to target the toughest to find and key books first when building a run and once it comes down to adding in the common issues I lose interest and dump it. With so many options to buy books now, it is becoming harder to find less available books to collect in the price range I am currently willing to pay. This is why I am primarily chasing HG SA DCs again - they represent a greater challenge than SA Marvels.

3 years ago wife crashes car 8 1/2 months pregnant...wrote it off...broke arm....1 year later she still wasn't back at work...sold my Captain America Comics # 1 (sob)...bills continued to pile up....had to sell everything else (10,000 raw comics and about 300 slabbed comics) for a lot less than they we're worth...got myself straight fincially...only have about 200 comics now...thats life!