• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have you sold off your run or set?

Why have you sold off your run or set?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Why have you sold off your run or set?

27 posts in this topic

I sold off my entire collection when I was 15 to pay some bills and buy a car. At the time

in the early 80s, it was worth 25k at that time. :acclaim: I sold it at the absolute worst

time ever. I remember only getting 3 or 4k for it. :tonofbricks: I stopped collecting

entirely. May 2008 I started adding up how much my collection would be worth

today....500k!!! :censored::o:sorry: I have stopped kicking myself for it now finally.

So, now I am trying to collect my favorites, for my daughters :luhv: college educations,

and it occupies my time being newly divorced. My biggest regret is selling my copy of

TOS 39, that if CGC would have been around then, would of definately gotten a 9.6...

:cloud9: it was perfect in every way! I paid $250 for it in 1975. :o Of course, if I did have

my old collection, my now ex-wife would of gotten half, so that makes the pain selling it a lot better!!! :applause::headbang:

My ex-wife hated my comic collection to the point she threw some of my books out. But you are right, if I still had them during the divorce she would have wanted half the value.

I have sold off entire runs for money, and because of boredom from having completed it.

You didn't have a "wife threw it out" option

In the 1980's, I totaled my car so I sold most of my collection to get it repaired (1966 Mustang). In the 1990's, I was poor and losing interest so a huge chunk of books went.

And as an aside regarding wives and comics, I just started dating a woman who likes comics. What a difference from the ex-wife who hated them.

There are always the exceptions, but it seems the more a woman appreciates our love of comics, the better our relationships...

I know it's true for me.

Sometimes I will say, "honey, there's this book I want but it's $$$."

She says "I think you should buy it."

I say, "$%^# are you crazy!? didn't you just hear how much $$$ it is?!"

Because I read them and didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would. And realised I would probably never read them again..so off they went to a new home.

This is also a reason for not starting a collection ... a title looked very attractive but proved to be disappointing reading.