• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Bmore:capped with a pretty bad ending... [AKA: Han's Con Report & Debacle]

42 posts in this topic

Well, my weekend started off with...me not getting paid. Turned out that Payroll had lost my timesheet. Because I needed the money for the con, I ~flailed~! and spent a long time calling and freaking out with them. Anyway, essentially, I'm not the only one. The only thing they could do is to give me a loan for 70% of my paycheck. When I finished the paperwork at 3:20, an hour and a half after I was supposed to leave, they told me it was going to be another hour before I could get the check signed. I gave in and called my dad, who gave me some money for the con. We finally left, and the ride was pretty boring. xP

So that was drama #1. xD

Dinner on Friday was fabulous, I really loved meeting everybody there <3 All my buddies and I had a fantastic time, thank you to everybody! Also, uber extra thanks for making sure everybody paid what they needed to. The waiters/bus boys all got a really nice tip, and everybody knows they deserved it xD We were a large, rather rowdy group. Though the rowdy may have just been Lauren and I. hm

Friday night had some issues, ie, discovering that Eric's costume didn't fit xD I made the whole thing without having him around to try it on, so it was a dissapointment. All in all, we were up until 3AM working on it (thank goodness I had my machine) and obviously managed to make it work.

We got to the con on Saturday morning at about 11. Getting through the lines for ticket was a breeze, and the guys up at the booth were awesome about getting it done timely and quickly. Managed to find my cousin (he's working/living with Tommy Castillo at the moment) and it was great to see him. It took a few hours to make my initial rounds, but I ended up seeing TONS of old friends and it was great, just awesome! We found my other friends there (One was Doc Horrible, others were first time/second time con-goers).

I was excited to go through comics cuz I had a list this year. Unfortunately, I went to at least two boots that were just total . P: It's hard to do this in costume. xD One booth I went to had pretty modern books labeled Near Mint, but a quick turn to see the profile of the pages, and they were YELLOW. I was not a happy panda, cuz they of them had like fifteen books I wanted. -glare- However, I did get my Harley Quinn book signed by the writer. I spent like a year and a half looking for the book, and now I have it and it's signed and I couldn't be happier about it.

Met Roy & Woman, (man, she looked AMAZING on Saturday @.@) who were really chill, though Roy was very focused on getting where he needed to be xD

Went back Sunday morning in civvies and roamed, purchased, found a couple more books (Gotham City Sirens what? :cloud9: ). Got changed partway through the day for the costume contest and continued to rove and check out swag. P: Hanging out with people in costume is so underrated xD There were SO many awesome costumes, and everybody adored Powdered Toast Man xD The contest was a little unorganized and sloppy, but it was year one, so I can forgive xD They organized people into categories and had category winners as well as an overall winner. When they called out my number as winner of the Adult Female Existing Superherovillianess, I was too busy looking at the numbers of people sitting next to me to realize it was me xD Got lots of great movie swag, and a nice new warm cap. Oh, and a $50 gift certificate for a comic store in Baltimore. That is exciting indeed.

Drama #2 came on the ride home. I'm currently in a random hotel in Tappahannock, Virginia. Eric's alternator went on the way down to his place (I was going to go back home on Tuesday) and we managed to get all but 90 miles from his place. Called Dad, who gave us some more money for the tow and hotel room. Got the car towed to a hotel down the road and spent several hours with tears, frustration, etc. Managed to get a new alternator for about $130, and the many MANY nice people we've met have been so helpful. My credit card is maxed, mine and his bank accounts are drained, and I'm heading back early tomorrow morning. My dad is not a happy camper, can't really blame him, but here's to hoping I get outta here and have a really touching story on hospitality for strangers.

Pics will probably come later. The weekend isn't over for me yet, but overall it seems like it's been great. I loved hanging out with some boardies this year, and doing terrible things to Lauren as usual. See you next year~!

Wow

Wow is correct, and I only understood about 2/3rds of that slang. :D

Yeah, me too. But I admit I'm an old fart/dinosaur, still using words like "groovy", "far out" and "righteous." I wonder if anyone here can remember where they were when Kennedy died...and I'm talking about JFK, not Teddy! :(

Translated for all the internet jargon impaired.

"Well, my weekend started off with...me not getting paid. Turned out that Payroll had lost my time sheet. Because I needed the money for the con, I blew a gasket and spent a long time calling and freaking out with them. Anyway, essentially, I'm not the only one. The only thing they could do is to give me a loan for 70% of my paycheck. When I finished the paperwork at 3:20, an hour and a half after I was supposed to leave, they told me it was going to be another hour before I could get the check signed. I gave in and called my dad, who gave me some money for the con. We finally left, and the ride was pretty boring. zzz

So that was drama #1. lol

Dinner on Friday was fabulous, I really loved meeting everybody there <3 All my buddies and I had a fantastic time, thank you to everybody! Also, uber extra thanks for making sure everybody paid what they needed to. The waiters/bus boys all got a really nice tip, and everybody knows they deserved it lol We were a large, rather rowdy group. Though the rowdy may have just been Lauren and I. hm (Editors note: Mostly me cause I'm from Baltimore and am a classy broad.)

Friday night had some issues, ie, discovering that Eric's costume didn't fit :o I made the whole thing without having him around to try it on, so it was a disappointment. All in all, we were up until 3AM working on it (thank goodness I had my sewing machine) and obviously managed to make it work.

We got to the con on Saturday morning at about 11. Getting through the lines for ticket was a breeze, and the guys up at the booth were awesome about getting it done timely and quickly. Managed to find my cousin (he's working/living with Tommy Castillo at the moment) and it was great to see him. It took a few hours to make my initial rounds, but I ended up seeing TONS of old friends and it was great, just awesome! We found my other friends there (One was Doc Horrible, others were first time/second time con-goers).

I was excited to go through comics cuz I had a list this year. Unfortunately, I went to at least two booths that were just total *spoon*. :P It's hard to do this in costume. One booth I went to had pretty modern books labeled Near Mint, but a quick turn to see the profile of the pages, and they were *spoon* YELLOW. I was not a happy panda, cuz they of them had like fifteen books I wanted. -glare- However, I did get my Harley Quinn book signed by the writer. I spent like a year and a half looking for the book, and now I have it and it's signed and I couldn't be happier about it.

Met Roy & Woman, (man, she looked AMAZING on Saturday :cloud9: ) who were really chill, though Roy was very focused on getting where he needed to be. lol

Went back Sunday morning in normal clothing and roamed, purchased, found a couple more books (Gotham City Sirens what? ). Got changed partway through the day for the costume contest and continued to rove and check out swag. P: Hanging out with people in costume is so underrated lol There were SO many awesome costumes, and everybody adored Powdered Toast Man lol The contest was a little unorganized and sloppy, but it was year one, so I can forgive lol They organized people into categories and had category winners as well as an overall winner. When they called out my number as winner of the Adult Female Existing Superherovillianess, I was too busy looking at the numbers of people sitting next to me to realize it was me lol Got lots of great movie swag, and a nice new warm cap. Oh, and a $50 gift certificate for a comic store in Baltimore. That is exciting indeed.

Drama #2 came on the ride home. I'm currently in a random hotel in Tappahannock, Virginia. Eric's alternator went on the way down to his place (I was going to go back home on Tuesday) and we managed to get all but 90 miles from his place. Called Dad, who gave us some more money for the tow and hotel room. Got the car towed to a hotel down the road and spent several hours with tears, frustration, etc. Managed to get a new alternator for about $130, and the many MANY nice people we've met have been so helpful. My credit card is maxed, mine and his bank accounts are drained, and I'm heading back early tomorrow morning. My dad is not a happy camper, can't really blame him, but here's to hoping I get outta here and have a really touching story on hospitality for strangers.

Pics will probably come later. The weekend isn't over for me yet, but overall it seems like it's been great. I loved hanging out with some boardies this year, and doing terrible things to Lauren as usual. See you next year~!"

:foryou:

Wow

Wow is correct, and I only understood about 2/3rds of that slang. :D

Yeah, me too. But I admit I'm an old fart/dinosaur, still using words like "groovy", "far out" and "righteous." I wonder if anyone here can remember where they were when Kennedy died...and I'm talking about JFK, not Teddy! :(

hippie

87375.jpg.d80f182bae7d56945e6b4a2b40d52e7c.jpg