• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other than comics, what industries are threatened by changing kid demographics?

46 posts in this topic

Golf is a sport?

It's like bowling, only you don't smoke as much.

lol

Actually, now that Ohio has a no smoking ban. I can't smoke at bowling. But I sure as heck can smoke on the golf course. I need to quit though. :(

At least you can be a pro golfer and still smoke!

angel1.jpg

Most of those hippie kids getting high and giving free love in the 60's eventually grew up, put on a suit and tie and "sold out to the man". This generation will be no different.

Most of you sound like old men rocking on your porch all day, telling stories about walking ten miles in the snow to get to school every morning, and about how you used to respect your elders.

lol I was thinking the exact same thing. (thumbs u

I think several of you guys are off base.

Golf is on the rise. I don't plan on playing but about 85% of the guys I know either play or jut started playing.

I'm pretty sure golf is not on the rise. The data is out there, has been for awhile that pretty much shows people have scaled back on golf. A lot of well to do folks have dumped their private club memberships. And in general fewer people are playing fewer courses per year and of the courses they do play, they're playing fewer rounds per year.

I don't doubt that many of your friends golf. In fact, I would say of the 30 guys closest to me, those I play sports with, drink with, work with, etc.....26 or 27 golf regularly--meaning 15-30 rounds in season. Then again, we were raised in it. Raised in the burbs with private country clubs around the corner, playing high school golf, etc.....we're going to be more likely to play golf anyway. I'm just guessing but I would presume you and your pals don't live in the sticks or amidst some urban ghetto where there isn't a course around for miles.

But our experiences are just our teeny, tiny fish bowls. In the larger scope of things what I mentioned above is pretty much documented fact. At least what I read anyway. Some of which was probably put out there over a year ago. There was a NYT article awhile back that showed the number of people playing golf has declined or remained about the same for over 5 years in a row now.

All I know is I have no trouble getting a tee time. The wife isn't around to give me mess about smoking. The kids aren't around. It's just me, my buds, a 6 pack and the ever loving frustration that is golf. :cloud9:

Golf is a sport?

It's like bowling, only you don't smoke as much.

lol

Actually, now that Ohio has a no smoking ban. I can't smoke at bowling. But I sure as heck can smoke on the golf course. I need to quit though. :(

At least you can be a pro golfer and still smoke!

angel1.jpg

That's a funny pic. Never seen that. I don't really follow professional golf that much, although I do recognize that golfer. What I find humorous about that is that his caddy is smoking too. When looking for his caddy he probably made it a prerequisite that the guy smoke. lol

Most of those hippie kids getting high and giving free love in the 60's eventually grew up, put on a suit and tie and "sold out to the man". This generation will be no different.

Most of you sound like old men rocking on your porch all day, telling stories about walking ten miles in the snow to get to school every morning, and about how you used to respect your elders.

If you think as many people wear suits to work now as ever, you are far out of touch. Those hippies grew up and many had to conform and part of that meant wearing suits. Now, those hippies have had kids and are a little less concerned about the attire for work. With the dot.com millionaires and surge of silicon valley, the image of the successful businessman no longer mandates wearing suits.

Each generation seems to go a bit more casual. Compare a photo of a train station or airport terminal in the 1940s, '60s, '80s and now and I am sure you will see fewer suits each successive era.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just a changing of the times.

Compare a photo of a train station or airport terminal in the 1940s, '60s, '80s and now and I am sure you will see fewer suits each successive era.

No doubt. Great reference.

I was watching North By Northwest a week or so ago and thought/noticed the same thing. Everyone at the station was in suits.