• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other than comics, what industries are threatened by changing kid demographics?

46 posts in this topic

It has been discussed to death here, but kids don't buy or read comics anymore.

Most likely because video games now provide that "imagination world" for kids.

So the business of publishing paper comic books is threatened with extinction one day.

It got me thinking about what other businesses will be threatened by these changing kid demographics.

I think in the long term, the golf course business will suffer for several reasons. The fact most kids don't play real sports anymore, but rather video game versions of sports, means that they are less likely to pick up a golf club and hit the golf course all of a sudden. Also, they might rather play Tiger Woods video golf than real golf. Golf is also an expensive sport to play, and average incomes are shrinking. Plus they take up a lot of land that developers will want to use to build housing.

I think many golf courses in the USA might have to close one day due to the changing demographics.

Cars- (google zip cars)

Phones- (the wired variety)

Textbooks

Baseball (yankees game only drew a 2.5 national rating. Thursday night college football draws better than a 3 with two unranked teams)

Men's warehouse (dress clothes in general)

Any hard storage media. (CDs, DVD, Disks, Tapes, Books, Magazines, etc...)

book stores

gyms

music stores

suit retailers

newspapers

magazines

not sure these places are geared towards kids

yes but demographics START with kids

if you grow up NEVER wearing any kind of formal clothing, there is less of a chance you will wear suits on a regular basis as an adult

book stores

gyms

music stores

suit retailers

newspapers

magazines

if you grow up NEVER wearing any kind of formal clothing, there is less of a chance you will wear suits on a regular basis as an adult

I see where you are going with this. Paints a pretty grim future though. I shudder to think that gym's will soon be in trouble and everyone will grow up unhealthy and out of shape.

book stores

gyms

music stores

suit retailers

newspapers

magazines

I see where you are going with this. Paints a pretty grim future though. I shudder to think that gym's will soon be in trouble and everyone will grow up unhealthy and out of shape.

I see way, way more kids lifting weights than when I was in high school/middle school. Kids are starting earlier and earlier and all trying to look like the kids on the Real World and on the wall at Abercrombie. This could be a regional thing though. I will say that the Yankees game drew terrible ratings because of the hate for the Yankees and the economics of baseball in general. I am a huge baseball fan and I can not stand watching the Yankees or seeing them in the playoffs. That is a whole different topic though.

book stores

gyms

music stores

suit retailers

newspapers

magazines

I see way, way more kids lifting weights than when I was in high school/middle school. Kids are starting earlier and earlier and all trying to look like the kids on the Real World and on the wall at Abercrombie. This could be a regional thing though. I will say that the Yankees game drew terrible ratings because of the hate for the Yankees and the economics of baseball in general. I am a huge baseball fan and I can not stand watching the Yankees or seeing them in the playoffs. That is a whole different topic though.

Certainly booksellers are worried. Children's books have a huge markup and most bookstores have a large children's section. If you don't hook them as kids they won't read books as adults. I'm sure Harry Potter was a huge shot in the arm but ....