• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Wildey Art Day with Joe Kubert Comment!

3 posts in this topic

Yes, an art day!! I won this piece on ebay while I was in hospital about a week or so ago. I’d been watching it before I was taken to hospital and was disappointed when I thought I wouldn’t be able to bid on it.

However, I subsequently found an internet machine in the hospital cafeteria and snuck down to bid on this awesome Doug Wildey double-page spread featuring artwork for a story which was intended for an unrealised title called Savage World from DC circa 1970. I was thrilled when I checked the following day and found that I’d won the piece which can be seen here -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=566748&GSub=88649

For those not familiar with his work, Doug Wildey was the creator of the animated Jonny Quest and was also well known for his work on Westerns (Wyatt Earp, Outlaw Kid, Kid Colt etc.) and war stories including Sgt. Rock. He was also a mentor to Dave Stevens who used him as the inspiration for the character, Peevy, in The Rocketeer.

I first stumbled across Doug’s artwork in the ‘80s with his own creation, the Western character called Rio which saw print in Eclipse Comics Monthly. I would have loved to have met Doug in person but sadly he passed away in 1994.

As an interesting aside, I recently wrote to Joe Kubert who was the co-creator of the story for which this artwork was intended. I was seeking confirmation that the artwork had been intended for the Savage World title. Joe confirmed that the artwork had indeed been created for the unrealised book, congratulated me on winning a lovely example of Doug’s work and then said that the piece had been stolen from his files 30 years ago!

I immediately offered to return the artwork to Joe and asked for an address to which I could send the piece (I felt that I could no less for a legend of the industry). Joe responded by thanking me for my offer to return the artwork but said it wasn’t necessary and that he was pleased to know it had found a good home with someone who appreciated it. Joe’s a class act all the way!

Stay tuned for further Doug Wildey art additions (assuming all goes well with the purchase) in the next week or so :) Best,

Royd

Thanks mate! :) I was truly thrilled to have won this piece and very pleased to have finally added a lovely example of Doug's work to my collection.

Congrats -- and thanks for the great story.