• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Really Made My Day...

47 posts in this topic

A few of you will know I've been going through the ringer a bit lately, what with my mom being sectioned again with Bipolar, our search for a bigger place to live proving fruitless, the wife losing her job etc. Then I got diagnosed with stress, and another visit to the doc's tomorrow will probably see me coming away with some anti depressants in my arse pocket. All happy times...

So when it turned out I would miss Birmingham Comic Con I was gutted. I was lined up to help out the guy who I get my monthly subscription from, Scadge, so I'd get free admission for the weekend, get into the launch party and basically have a damn good weekend. But I had to go to the hospital for blood tests on the Saturday and that was the end of that.

I was particualrly gutted as I wanted to meet Charlie Adlard and get a sketch from him, and that was that opportunity out of the window too.

So yesterday my new comics arrived. I opened them up and found two pieces of card in there with a sheet of paper in between. Lo and behold it was a personalised sketch from Charlie. I've found out this was a joint plan between Scadge and at least three CGC boardies to get this for me, Gaz679, Comicopolis and t3quila. And this is a just a quick note to say a massive thanks to you guys, that really made my day yesterday (worship) (worship) (worship)

GavsAdlardSketch.jpg

Sorry you couldn't make it to the Con, Gav. Got to meet t3quila and Comicopolis for the first time, along with fellow Londoner gaz973. That sketch certainly makes up for missing the event - nice piece. Hopefully you'll be all right for Bristol next year.

Glad you liked it Gav,

I have to thank the others, as it was mainly them, I had tried to get it on Saturday, but only got to see Charlie as he was doing his last sketch and he had to get to the pub!

I had to leave early Sunday, so it was the others, and if you had to rely on me, you'd be sitting there with the cardboard only. doh!

Charlie Adlard was one hell of a nice guy. As I'd got close to the front of the queue, he apologised because he'd got roped into doing some kind of presentation for the show and asked if I could come back in an hour. I explained that I would be going home before then and that it was for a freind of mine who couldn't make the show and needed cheering up and Charlie cheerfully agreed to squeeze it in.

Even with one of the show workers beathing down his neck, he didn't get hassled and chatted about how his wife had phoned him up to tell him that the cat had bought a live mouse into their house and he was going to have to try to catch it when he got home. Despite the fact that he made himself late, he told me that he would only charge half price for the sketch because it was rushed. I paid full price and thanked him for going out of his way to squeeze it in.

Kudos to Charlie Adlard, a talented guy who is down to earth and likeable. (worship) (worship)

Gav, glad to hear that you like your sketch. It was Imran who told me about the idea and it was no hassle to get it. Thanks to Marc for getting it to you. Hope things improve for you soon mate. :wishluck: