• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What, it's Thursday and there are no NYC Comic Con reports?

62 posts in this topic

I was there today. Hung out with Lou and the Blazing one for a while. I also met ChezzyWhiz, Roy & Dale Roberts. Also dropped off a couple of books for grading, which should be ready on Saturday.
:sick:

I was there today. Hung out with Lou and the Blazing one for a while. I also met ChezzyWhiz, Roy & Dale Roberts. Also dropped off a couple of books for grading, which should be ready on Saturday.

Hater! :mad:

Lou who?

:taptaptap:

Hater! :mad:

Lou who?

:taptaptap:

Lou Ferrigno. :sumo:

We'll see if Roy makes it through the weekend with no jail time :shy:

Personally, I'd love to hear another reflection on cockroaches crawling over some dude's cheese sandwich and the woeful nature of the human condition. :luhv:

There are many parallels between the Tombs and Pier 94.

lol

The NYC show is weird. Weird location, weird in some bad ways, weird in some good ways. Full report Sunday night.

I haven't been yet, but the location sounds remote and kind of dismal, especially with the weather we've had lately. Combine that with the high admission prices, and the Wizard name rather than the National name, and... I hope the dealers are doing OK.

Seemed like a perfectly nice show, I only had time to check out about 25% of the dealers in the 3 hours I had on Friday. $25 was a lot for that, but it's my fault I wasn't there at 12 or 1.

I picked up lots of relatively inexpensive goodies. It was a great show for that sort of thing.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably paid too much in my first deal, which consisted mostly of bronze horror/fantasy type books. Getting overly excited about how nice they looked, didn't haggle as much as I should have, they're nice books, but probably not 9.4 - 9.8 type books, mostly. More like a lot of 9.0 - 9.2 after I have sit down and really looked closely at them. Oh well, I had done extremely well with my last deal with this dealer (basically sold half of them for 2X what I paid and could keep the rest), so I guess it was his turn to do all right. I went over my typical price point for books of this era/genre because they looked so nice, but I know upon second examination they won't be as nice.

As for other sellers, the $2 and $1 sellers were not negotiating, even if you bought a big stack. I think, even if the books are terrific for the price, when someone is picking up 50 - 100 books knocking a few bucks off is more than fair. I'm not there spending an hour opening up comic bags and examining each book ... not having me doing that at your booth should be worth knocking a few bucks off your price.

I ran out of money after 3 hours. By the time I hit hotflips table I only had $6 left for comics! no board discount down to $5!!?!??! I spent $381 on comics, $5 for a box and almost $25 to get in. Thankfully my wife drove me home, so I didn't have to blow $45 on a cab home (I wasn't going to drag this stuff on the subway).

Bumped into mrwoogieman on the way out. I guess he was just catching the last 30 minutes of the show.

I regret not having brought my luggage cart and looking like a total dork hauling 2 - 3 boxes around with me, though I cooked up some dorilishous concoction to drag my books around. I also regret not having brought another $200 with me.

I didn't have time for the guests. As I left the convention hall I was greeted with a "hey babe" by this really attractice woman who is not my wife. I looked at her and knew I recognized her, but couldn't remember why. And then I saw a guy walk around me and give her a kiss, I didn't see his face, but from the back of his head, and realizing who she was, I knew he was Peter Brady and his hot (and annoying) wife!

As I left the convention hall I was greeted with a "hey babe" by this really attractice woman who is not my wife. I looked at her and knew I recognized her, but couldn't remember why. And then I saw a guy walk around me and give her a kiss, I didn't see his face, but from the back of his head, and realizing who she was, I knew he was Peter Brady and his hot (and annoying) wife!

Classic...

Seemed like a perfectly nice show, I only had time to check out about 25% of the dealers in the 3 hours I had on Friday. $25 was a lot for that, but it's my fault I wasn't there at 12 or 1.

I picked up lots of relatively inexpensive goodies. It was a great show for that sort of thing.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably paid too much in my first deal, which consisted mostly of bronze horror/fantasy type books. Getting overly excited about how nice they looked, didn't haggle as much as I should have, they're nice books, but probably not 9.4 - 9.8 type books, mostly. More like a lot of 9.0 - 9.2 after I have sit down and really looked closely at them. Oh well, I had done extremely well with my last deal with this dealer (basically sold half of them for 2X what I paid and could keep the rest), so I guess it was his turn to do all right. I went over my typical price point for books of this era/genre because they looked so nice, but I know upon second examination they won't be as nice.

As for other sellers, the $2 and $1 sellers were not negotiating, even if you bought a big stack. I think, even if the books are terrific for the price, when someone is picking up 50 - 100 books knocking a few bucks off is more than fair. I'm not there spending an hour opening up comic bags and examining each book ... not having me doing that at your booth should be worth knocking a few bucks off your price.

I ran out of money after 3 hours. By the time I hit hotflips table I only had $6 left for comics! no board discount down to $5!!?!??! I spent $381 on comics, $5 for a box and almost $25 to get in. Thankfully my wife drove me home, so I didn't have to blow $45 on a cab home (I wasn't going to drag this stuff on the subway).

Bumped into mrwoogieman on the way out. I guess he was just catching the last 30 minutes of the show.

I regret not having brought my luggage cart and looking like a total dork hauling 2 - 3 boxes around with me, though I cooked up some dorilishous concoction to drag my books around. I also regret not having brought another $200 with me.

I didn't have time for the guests. As I left the convention hall I was greeted with a "hey babe" by this really attractice woman who is not my wife. I looked at her and knew I recognized her, but couldn't remember why. And then I saw a guy walk around me and give her a kiss, I didn't see his face, but from the back of his head, and realizing who she was, I knew he was Peter Brady and his hot (and annoying) wife!

Hey Jed,

Good to see you briefly at the Con Friday! I headed over there after work just to get the passes and whatnot out of the way so Saturday's visit could get under way without having to wait in line.

It's a good thing I went on Friday too, since there was no line to register that late in the day, and because the set up was weird. The line to register and all the panels were in one building and you had to leave the building and walk next door to get to the con itself. Strange.

it's not like i thought she was really saying it to me...it half crossed my mind maybe she was really drunk or a hooker looking for some smelly fanboy money

I just think it's classic in the sense of current media/reality tv being so omnipresent that someone can hear a semi-celeb's voice and see her and think for a sec that one knows her. Could happen to anyone these days.

it's not like i thought she was really saying it to me...it half crossed my mind maybe she was really drunk or a hooker looking for some smelly fanboy money

I just think it's classic in the sense of current media/reality tv being so omnipresent that someone can hear a semi-celeb's voice and see her and think for a sec that one knows her. Could happen to anyone these days.

well, i didn't realize who she was until i saw peter brady after she said that. i just thought she was some hot chick hanging out in front of the show.

hey, it happens, but in context....back in July I was up in a bar in the Cape Cod area before my cousin's wedding, everyone was getting a bit drunk the night before the wedding, I only had two drinks so I was fine to drive back and as I'm getting my keys to my car from the valet some very attractive drunk chick walks up to me and asks if I'd like to take her home with me. I guess after a long night of drinking she simply wanted to get la**id. I politely informed her that I thought my wife would not approve of that and went on my way. Hey, women beer goggle too! (And why didn't this happen when I was single and 75 pounds ago??!?!)