• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefield, You're a *spoon*.

111 posts in this topic

Its his signature. He can do with it as he pleases.

People will have it signed merely to profit off the books. Perhaps he is entitled to some of that scratch.

Sure he is,

But under this logic he should be walking around handing out $20's to everyone that was subjected to Youngblood, Supreme, or especially :sick: Captain America.

On the flip side....

Rob's been paid for that job, he got paid again when he sold the artwork, he got paid again when the royalty checks came in, and he's been trading on his NM's success ever since.

I think he's gotten so much "scratch" off of it that it's gotta be infected by now.

Yeah. But don't you think this is a by-product of the guys coming to the table with 10x copies of a book, taking those and getting SS slabs and making $$ off said slabs? I'm surprised any creator would sign in any kind of bulk these days without getting paid. Then again, maybe a reasonable per person limit would be better. Say 2-3 items per person.

Oh yeah, I agree 100%.

It sounds like Rob is charging anyone and everyone for even 1 book though.

We did that at Bolland's table in NYC in January. 2-3 per person per time in line for free, if the person wanted a bunch signed at once they had to donate a $1 or $2 per book to the kitty and it all went to the Hero initiative. Some guys donated more, almost no one really complained and by the end of the weekend I think we had donated $200-$300 or so to Hero.

When a guy shows up with 20 copies of Killing Joke you know it's not for his collection. So I agree with what you are saying.

C

We did that at Bolland's table in NYC in January. 2-3 per person per time in line for free, if the person wanted a bunch signed at once they had to donate a $1 or $2 per book to the kitty and it all went to the Hero initiative.

That's how it was at B'ore this year for Tim Sale. 3 items max. Donation request.

I got 2 pages signed and some book for the dude in line with me.

I got an awesome sketch from Liefeld via a friend at the show. With all the 1st app. Cables and Deadpools going up on ebay and selling for hundreds of dollars, he might feel a little slighted by that. As long as he doesn't turn into Arthur Suydam, he can charge for a for sigs on hot books, creators etc. are allowed to ask for what they want.

QFT. My general opinion is that artists can do or charge whatever they care to do or charge, as is my position on most things. But for whatever reason, Suydam really roasts my chestnuts. He was a fringe artist at best, gets the Marvel Zombies gig, does a lot of good zombie work and all of a sudden is charging $20 a sig or $20 in stuff bought from his table to sign. Not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but c'mon dude. Good thing you're not having to live off the Cholly 'N Flytrap residuals.

Funny that you've brought him up because he is the only chap I have ever asked for a sketch, and his asking price was high. I was shocked and declined. What toasted me is that he told me how much they sold for on Ebay (or somewhere else on-line), thus the assumption that I was going to resell it.

I said adios.

If Rob doesn't advertise the fact that you have to spend $20 on a sketchbook before you get his sig, after waiting in line for a long time, then that seems wrong to me wrong. But if it is mentioned to you as soon as you get in line then that is OK with me.

For what it is worth, I've never seen more than 4 or 5 people waiting for Liefeld, except when it is an Image panel.

honestly i wouldn't pay for a CGC SS by liefeld. (shrug)

I have. His art is absolutely horrific at times, no doubt. The Captain America Moobies cover is one of the worst things ever put out by a major (or minor) publisher. But I have some nostalgia for the 1st Cable through 1st Deadpool run of NM. It is pretty crappy, but I still have fond memories of setting up at 88-91 shows and these books were smokin' hot. I have owned and sold dozens of copies of many of them and I like having a couple of SS for the permanent collection.

I don't know if it was the times or what but Liefeld's art on NM didn't seem all that bad at the time. In fact it seemed pretty damn good...

Yeah, I know upon reflection it wasn't but if you were buying them off the racks at the time, Liefeld's NM was a must buy as were Uncanny and X-Factor. All the X-books during that time were great reads and the art seemed miles better than everything else out there except maybe McFarlane's ASM (which I wasn't a fan at the time but I know they're out there). His anatomy, perspective, and page layout blew but damn if he couldn't draw some great action panels. Sometimes an artist just comes at the right time and works on a project that seems fitted to him. I think Liefeld lucked into that exact situation...

To get back on target, as far as charging for his sig? It's his to do with as he pleases. He doesn't owe his autograph to anyone for free. And for people to think he owes them something other than the work he produced is whacked in my opinion. No one really complains how much it costs for a Frazetta sig. Regardless of whether you think Liefeld's work is worthy of the price he's asking, you can always decline to pay it. No one is forcing you have his sig...

Jim

Funny that you've brought him up because he is the only chap I have ever asked for a sketch, and his asking price was high. I was shocked and declined. What toasted me is that he told me how much they sold for on Ebay (or somewhere else on-line), thus the assumption that I was going to resell it.

I said adios.

Can you blame him when he sees that exact thing happening on a regular basis? No one should be someone else's money machine regardless of the intentions of the requestee. People are profiting from work he's done usually under the guise of lifelong admirers. To see work he's done today on eBay tomorrow must jade a person and I'd do the same thing. Blame all the damn money grubbing flippers for ruining it for the rest of us instead of the guy who gave his sig/sketches under false pretenses...

Jim

I got an awesome sketch from Liefeld via a friend at the show. With all the 1st app. Cables and Deadpools going up on ebay and selling for hundreds of dollars, he might feel a little slighted by that. As long as he doesn't turn into Arthur Suydam, he can charge for a for sigs on hot books, creators etc. are allowed to ask for what they want.

QFT. My general opinion is that artists can do or charge whatever they care to do or charge, as is my position on most things. But for whatever reason, Suydam really roasts my chestnuts. He was a fringe artist at best, gets the Marvel Zombies gig, does a lot of good zombie work and all of a sudden is charging $20 a sig or $20 in stuff bought from his table to sign. Not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but c'mon dude. Good thing you're not having to live off the Cholly 'N Flytrap residuals.

I said adios.

He's not necessarily assuming that you'll resell it. It just indicates the value of the sketches, as a justification for his rates. Neal Adams told me the exact same thing yesterday. He wasn't saying I'd resell his sketch, he was just saying that that was how much they were worth, so why shouldn't he charge that much?

I dont mind paying for a signature on a book I like. The prices the artists ask for signatures or sketches sometimes are no where near as being riduiclous as pro athletes charge. Bo Jackson for example charges $99 for a flat item up 11 x14 and then another $99 for a inscription, the prices go up for jerseys and helmets. For that prices you could get almost 3 books signed and CGCd. A $100 for a one of a kind sketch CGC SS or a signed mini helmet one a 1000?

Well, I know I will probably here it from you guy's but Rob was my favorite artist back in the day's he was the one who got me started collecting the New Mutants and other various titles. I do think the $20 charge is kinda high for a signature. But I do think his drawing has improve on Captain America. Here is my piece he did for me at SDCC. No Manboobies!

COMICART006.jpg

I'm right there with you! I liked him back in the day and still see the occassional item from him that I really enjoy.

Art is subjective. (shrug)

As for charging, I don't mind as long as I know up front. $20 seems high for Liefeld, but I didn't hesitate to give that to Sheldon Moldoff.

You know I never really knew that about Suydam. Last year at WWTX I had about 6 books signed by him and though he never came out and said the words he did make me feel compelled to buy a Man with No Name print from him.

I dont mind paying for a signature on a book I like. The prices the artists ask for signatures or sketches sometimes are no where near as being riduiclous as pro athletes charge. Bo Jackson for example charges $99 for a flat item up 11 x14 and then another $99 for a inscription, the prices go up for jerseys and helmets. For that prices you could get almost 3 books signed and CGCd. A $100 for a one of a kind sketch CGC SS or a signed mini helmet one a 1000?

Ugh....you should try astronauts. Moonwalkers generally start at $250 for a flat and I've seen them go as high as $700 to complete a crew. It always leaves me torn between my hero worship and good common sense.

Well, I know I will probably here it from you guy's but Rob was my favorite artist back in the day's he was the one who got me started collecting the New Mutants and other various titles. I do think the $20 charge is kinda high for a signature. But I do think his drawing has improve on Captain America. Here is my piece he did for me at SDCC. No Manboobies!

COMICART006.jpg

I'm right there with you! I liked him back in the day and still see the occassional item from him that I really enjoy.

Art is subjective. (shrug)

As for charging, I don't mind as long as I know up front. $20 seems high for Liefeld, but I didn't hesitate to give that to Sheldon Moldoff.

sweet commissioN!

I generally liked a lot of Liefield's work as a kid, and I think artists have the right to charge for their signature esp. when I'm sure many of them see their signed books sold on eBay or other sites. So, yeah, well within their rights.

Now... do I think $20 is a price I'd pay for his signature? Nope. Once you get out of the $5 / $10 range, you'd better be one of the premier creators in the business... and perhaps this is arguable, but Liefield is one of those guys whose popularity is pretty limited to the late 80s-early 90s. Heck! Steranko is free for a personalized signature or something silly like $5 for a non-personalized signature.

So... yeah. $20 is within his rights to ask for, but a touch too much for most signature collectors 2c

When I was into books during that time, Liefeld was a hot artist and he did introduce a lot of characters. Would I pay him $20 for a sig? Probably not.

Back when he was doing NM, I thought his art was okay but now that I look back on it I don't like it at all. Nice to see that sketch he did for Rey was a monumental improvement on his Cap with steroid boobs/mutated with Hulk look.

I saw a Liefeld drinking game at a site a while back where a rule was for every pouch/pocket on a Liefeld character you saw, you took a drink. The punch line was, "Great. Now you have alcohol poisoning."

I did manage to find this Liefeld drinking game online.

i could better understand if liefield hadn't made millions on his "artwork," but he has. he's probably one of the most well paid artists in the last 25-30 years (if he isn't, he blew his money) and he's gotten rich while seriously being THE WORST known artist in comics

So it's okay for Frazetta's sig to cost $250, but it's not okay for Liefeld to ask that you buy $20 of his books or materials?

(I hope the Frazettas are doing well financially.)

So it's okay for Frazetta's sig to cost $250, but it's not okay for Liefeld to ask that you buy $20 of his books or materials?

(I hope the Frazettas are doing well financially.)

Pretty much....yes.

If you put talent, skill, influence, legacy, abilty, evolution into a better artist over time, and respect in the industry into the mathematical calculation of what signatures are worth from the respective parties then Frazetta's is worth whatever he wants to charge and it would still not be enough while Liefeld should be profusely grateful that people want his signature at all and most likely should give each person a $5 bill along with the signature.

When you have a guy like Liefeld who made millions in the early 90's on smoke and mirrors, and never felt compelled to improve his craft an iota since, and now feels he deserves to be paid again for the same drek I can easily see how people will take exception to the mandatory fee.

i dunno if he was really a "fringe" artist, he just had not done much in the way of super hero books. haven't i been looking at his art since the 80's in Heavy Metal, Epic and stuff like that? fantasy/sci fi type stuff. i loved cholly and flytrap back in the 80's. i think he's HUGE in France. they pay 40 Euros for his autograph there.