• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on Batman

47 posts in this topic

Skip any of the Grant Morrison issues and the piece of garbage rotting in the gutter called Final Crisis and you will do fine.

I think the best thing DC could do at this point is to have Geoff Johns try to salvage the wreckage that Morrison will leave in his wake. Personally, I hope they don't do that since I want to keep him on GL but if you need to resurrect a flagship he would probably be the one to do it.

Hey all,

I haven't really picked up Batman since Death in the Family....what would be a good jump on point in all of your opinions for modern Bats...I would like to stick with the main title.....I know that there is a Captain America type thing happening now.......thoughts?

I can name at least 20 titles you should be reading instead. :insane:

If you're thinking of dropping into Dini's stuff on Tec, then reading Batman #608-#619 is a must.

Dini does indeed do a good job of filling in the gaps in Tommy Elliot's back-story and motivations, gaps that I thought made Hush rather lame the first time through.

Hey all,

I haven't really picked up Batman since Death in the Family....what would be a good jump on point in all of your opinions for modern Bats...I would like to stick with the main title.....I know that there is a Captain America type thing happening now.......thoughts?

Get back to yer Goon thread Grizzly Adams.

If you're thinking of dropping into Dini's stuff on Tec, then reading Batman #608-#619 is a must.

Dini does indeed do a good job of filling in the gaps in Tommy Elliot's back-story and motivations, gaps that I thought made Hush rather lame the first time through.

Very well said. (thumbs u

Hey all,

Get back to yer Goon thread Grizzly Adams.

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

Pat

I think I am going to take the cheap way out and just grab the Battle for the Cowl arc for now.....Haven't really read Bats since 89 or so anyway. Gotta start someplace....

I like all the advice but here is what I would do to get in the spirit of the season and read some of the best Batman ever written.

Reread Batman Year 1

then read

Batman The Long Halloween

Batman Dark Victory

Batman Hush

His roots and classic villians are handled marvelously in these books.

There are so many continuity-changing events have taken place in the Bat mythos over the past few years that anybody jumping back onto the title after a long hiatus will be confused.

Two Face becoming normal, possibly a replacement Batman, then Two Face again. This is addressed as recently as Batman #690.

Jason Todd returning, Damian coming onto the scene, the resurrection of Ra's, Tim Drake becoming Red Robin, Grayson becoming Batman, and the list goes on.

If these continuity changes confuse you (a lot of them did me when I first got back in at the start of RIP), then you'll have to go back and pick up at least some of the runs just for explanation.

I've read marvel stuff for a long time so I am used to being confused and having continuity that is hard to follow.....I just felt like I was missing out on Batman. I've always liked the character but sort of lost interest in the late 80's ( I was but a lad) when the over-hype went nuts with all the movies etc. I thought it was time to pick it up again. I've read the last couple issues and am getting an idea as to whats happening, but I agree, its hard to jump back in with 20 years of back story. One of the LCS here has a weekly half off sale, so maybe I will take advantage and grab some back issues.....

I appreciate the views and opinions. Boardies are the best source of info.

Even if you don't fill in the complete run, I'd highly recommend the Knightfall storyline across Batman and Tec. Other titles had losoe tie-ins (SOTB, LOTDK with it's Venom precursor to Bane), but you can read the run through Bats and Tec without losing anything.

It was great stuff (thumbs u