• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #22

11 posts in this topic

I'd see it as a 7.0/7.5 if that chip was merely a fold. A small piece missing out of the corner is certainly a drag. But there are boardies that have seen it in the 7.0s even with the chip.

I passed recently on an FF#47 because of nearly the same defect. The corner was just hanging on and was a sliver away from detaching. Everything else said the book was a 9.0 -- clean with a beautiful gloss but I was worried that if the corner detached, I'd be looking at an 8.0 or lower.

I think your dealer was using rose coloured glasses to see an 8.5. (tsk)

If he charged you full 8.5 prices, i.e., full guide for a non-CGC book, (let's say $270 for #22) then it's not such a great deal.

If you got the books for 60-70% 8.5 guide ($170-- a rather pricey 7.0 or guide priced 7.5) then it's probably an issue of how much you like the book as to whether it's a keeper or not. It's a good read with some strong George Bell (Roussos) inking and a great house ad for ASM #8. On the letter pages, it also has letters written by Dave Cockrum and Roy Thomas -- a little bonus. It's a nice issue to own.

:shy: God knows, I've overpaid for a good number of books in my time. I just pray my bargain purchases have evened things out. (Just my 2¢)

I cannot deal with the chip as it was not disclosed. I am returning both this book and the FF19 for a refund.

I have CGC FF#12 in 7.5 and it has a nice crease on the back cover or it would have been a solid 8.0. When i compare the two books, the chip on this book just looks so much worse than the fold on the CGC book even though the cover on the FF22 is a little nicer than the FF12. Thus, I agree this FF22 is about a 7.0 to 7.5 while I paid a little over the VF price for it which is too much.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff